PDA

View Full Version : Domain Spell Slots

Chilingsworth
2011-10-10, 02:06 PM
Hi again playground!

Last night, after our weekly game, my friends and I had a discussion about domain spell slots. Specifically, the question of wheather you can prepare lower-level domain spells in higher-level slots?

The specific example: Can a cleric with the Time domain prepare Haste spells in his 4th level or higher domain slots? What about if he uses metamagic to raise the spell's effective spell level? Also, where is the ruling on this explicitly stated, since I seemed to miss it in the PHB.

Flickerdart
2011-10-10, 02:18 PM
The phrase "If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot" seems to suggest that the slot in question is singular, and so you could not prepare the domain spell in another slot.

Raimun
2011-10-10, 02:23 PM
The rules in PHB are a bit vague about it. I'd say domain spell slots can be used just like normal spell slots, with the exception you have to use domain spells.

Though, I can see the argument that it gives you only "access to a domain spell at each spell level he can cast" (PHB, p.32) and thus, the only option you have is to choose domain spell from one domain or the other.

Keld Denar
2011-10-10, 03:36 PM
You could prep a domain spell in a higher level domain slot though. In your example, you could put Haste in your 4th level domain slot, your 5th level domain slot, and your 6th level domain slot. That would give you 3 casting per day. You could also apply metamagic, for example, putting an Extended Haste in your 5th level domain slot. You couldn't put them in non-domain slots though, regardless of level.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-10, 03:41 PM
You could prep a domain spell in a higher level domain slot though. In your example, you could put Haste in your 4th level domain slot, your 5th level domain slot, and your 6th level domain slot. That would give you 3 casting per day. You could also apply metamagic, for example, putting an Extended Haste in your 5th level domain slot. You couldn't put them in non-domain slots though, regardless of level.

This is what I thought the rule was. The part about the non-domain slots wasn't in question. Just about the higher-level domain slots.