PDA

View Full Version : Permanent AMF?

Shades of Gray
2011-10-10, 04:16 PM
What's the easiest/most cost-effective way to get a permanent antimagic field centered around your character? Assume WBL, and the rule that you can't spend more than 1/3rd of your gold on a single weapon, if you go that route. I don't care if it's an item or if it's gained through spellcasting, etc.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-10, 04:33 PM
Play a wizard with extraordinary spell aim. You are now exempt from your AMF. Be an incantatrix, persist your AMF (lvl 11)
Play a cleric with initiate of mystra. Lower your caster level (intentionaly botch a divine spell spower?) and have a way to take 10 on CL checks. You are exempt from your AMF. DMM persist it. (lvl 15). The cleric can also use extarordinary spell aim
Be an archmage. Mastery of shaping your AMF into a donut shape. You are immune to your AMF

Shades of Gray
2011-10-10, 04:53 PM
I don't necessarily need to be immune to my own AMF, just to have it up and active at the lowest level possible.

Hirax
2011-10-10, 04:57 PM
Unless your DM lets you craft an AMF wondrous item, persisting it is going to be your only option. The simplest route to persisting is DMM, and cClerics can get AMF as a 6th level domain spell. As for getting it early, exactly how many shenanigans are you willing to use?

DoctorGlock
2011-10-10, 05:15 PM
well, venerable kobold dragonwrought sorcerer with greater rite of passage and loredrake (that's the +2 casting i think) will get AMF at level 9, qualify for epic feats meaning you can have permanent emanation and flip it on or off as a free action. it might nor be a spell anymore so you might not be able extraordinary aim it, but the free action switch helps fix that

Shades of Gray
2011-10-10, 05:34 PM
The problem with the wondrous item would be its insurmountable cost. A continuous spell effect magic item costs (Spell Level)(Caster Level)(2000)

AMF is a 6th level spell, requiring an 11th level caster. It'll cost 132,000. Which means, with WBL rules, that I could only get it at 17th level.

Runestar
2011-10-10, 05:37 PM
The permanent emanation epic feat can give you AMF as a perm aura, though you would need to be lv21+ to qualify.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-10, 05:39 PM
i thought true dragons of old or older (like a venerable DW kobold) qualified for epic feats pre epic... that was in the draconomicon

tyckspoon
2011-10-10, 07:08 PM
i thought true dragons of old or older (like a venerable DW kobold) qualified for epic feats pre epic... that was in the draconomicon

They can, but Permanent Emanation also requires 25 ranks in Spellcraft. That's not a cheatable requirement, not without performing some much heavier-duty and more obviously broken cheese.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-10, 09:17 PM
AMF is a 6th level spell, requiring an 11th level caster. It'll cost 132,000. Which means, with WBL rules, that I could only get it at 7th level.
You dropped a digit there; you mean 17th level.