PDA

View Full Version : Open-Minded and PF

LibraryOgre
2011-10-10, 06:18 PM
So, I was thinking about Open Minded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#openMinded) today. Would you suggest it be revalued for PF, given the relatively higher value of each skill point?

Curious
2011-10-10, 06:21 PM
Nah, trading a feat for skill points seems pretty fair. I'd let it stand.

Anderlith
2011-10-10, 06:22 PM
Nah, leave it as is, there are roughly the same amount of skills, so it's not like you need to add more to cover more bases.

Jeraa
2011-10-10, 06:24 PM
When Dreamscarred Press did their Expanded Psionics Handbook conversion, they changed Open Minded to this:

Benefit: You gain 1 skill point for every Hit Die you possess. You gain 1 skill point whenever you gain a Hit Die (such as when you gain a level). You spend these skill points as normal. You cannot exceed the normal maximum point for your level in any skill.

Frosty
2011-10-10, 06:35 PM
So, I was thinking about Open Minded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#openMinded) today. Would you suggest it be revalued for PF, given the relatively higher value of each skill point?
Open Minded, as it is in 3.5, even with a PF ruleset, is still underpowered in my opinion. The new version for 1 extra skill point per HD is somewhat worthwhile.

ericgrau
2011-10-10, 07:10 PM
PF boosts skills in general, I don't see why feats should be an exception. If anything I'd revert the PF skill ranks back to what they were before (no +3, x4 at level 1, etc.), but it's not a big enough deal for me to care much either way.

As for the value of skill points vs. the value of a feat, I've noticed it depends a lot on the DM. The application of each is generally so different that it's hard to make a direct comparison. You also need to consider who's most likely to take such a feat: a fighter who dumped int and needs to get into a PrC, for example.

Lateral
2011-10-10, 07:13 PM
It's kind of wimpy in 3.5 anyway; compare to Nymph's Kiss, which has RP requirements but grants far more skill points and some minor bonuses.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-10-10, 08:02 PM
It's kind of wimpy in 3.5 anyway; compare to Nymph's Kiss, which has RP requirements but grants far more skill points and some minor bonuses.

To be fair though, it is skill points rather than bonuses, which means it could be used to satisfy prestige class requirements. Probably still not much, but I could see a use for it that nymph's kiss wouldn't be able to fulfill.

On the other hand, "use it once, +20 skill points over the course of 20 levels" seems like it would be useful.

Demons_eye
2011-10-10, 08:29 PM
So what happens if you have a floating feat like in Chameleon PrC and take this feat?

Gavinfoxx
2011-10-10, 08:41 PM
It has already been updated to pathfinder...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/open-minded

Lateral
2011-10-10, 08:45 PM
To be fair though, it is skill points rather than bonuses, which means it could be used to satisfy prestige class requirements. Probably still not much, but I could see a use for it that nymph's kiss wouldn't be able to fulfill.

What are you talking about? Nymph's Kiss grants an extra skill point/level.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-10-10, 09:06 PM
What are you talking about? Nymph's Kiss grants an extra skill point/level.

It turns out I forgot what nymph's kiss did.

ericgrau
2011-10-10, 09:10 PM
It has already been updated to pathfinder...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/open-minded

So PF boosted it even more instead of nerfing it.

Psyren
2011-10-10, 09:12 PM

There's way better feats to pick up than that one, unless you have 8 int or something.

Lateral
2011-10-10, 09:13 PM

Well, yeah. The feat kind of sucked.

ericgrau
2011-10-10, 09:16 PM
Ya but the OP's concern was that skill points are each worth more in PF. Not PF's concern, apparently.

Psyren
2011-10-10, 09:24 PM
Should it be? Again, if you're blowing a feat on that, power can't be your main concern anyway.

Andreaz
2011-10-10, 09:31 PM
Having more skill points only gives you a broader array of things you can do. Since the maximum ranks in any given skill doesn't change, this feat doesn't add much to a character's power.

ericgrau
2011-10-10, 10:04 PM
Ya I wonder where you cut it of though. Would it matter if it gave you 5 skill points per level, for example? That's why I think it has to do more with the DM, and whether or not more than 1 or 2 skills actually matters in his campaign and whether or not an ally can simply grab those instead of you.

LibraryOgre
2011-10-11, 09:38 AM
Truthfully, I'm just a skill whore. I like having lots of skill points, and being able to say "Yeah, I can do that" to just about anything. Thus, my fondness for Open Minded.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-11, 11:50 AM

That would be because its from a Dreamscarred Press sourcebook rather than a Paizo one.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-10-11, 12:17 PM
That would be because its from a Dreamscarred Press sourcebook rather than a Paizo one.

I honestly feel Paizo would have done the same thing. It lines up with what they did with toughness, and they've already established that they believe 1 skill point = 1 hit point, at least in terms of bonuses.

gkathellar
2011-10-11, 12:39 PM
I honestly feel Paizo would have done the same thing. It lines up with what they did with toughness, and they've already established that they believe 1 skill point = 1 hit point, at least in terms of bonuses.

Bear in mind that WotC had basically already done the same with the introduction of Improved Toughness. Paizo does not have a good track record with fixes, other than the ones you can already find in some form or another in some 3.5 sourcebook or another.

But yes, buffing it to 1 skill point per level was absolutely the right move, and the PF version of the feat is almost certainly the right one to take.