PDA

View Full Version : Resist Energy Question?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 10:12 PM
Resist Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resistEnergy.htm) is a nifty little spell. Even better is the mass version in SpC. Like most "Mass" spells, they function exactly like the regular version but affect more targets. In Resist Energy's description it says

The value of the energy resistance granted increases to 20 points at 7th level

Now, does this mean 7th caster level? or 7th level of caster class in question? I would assume caster level as the other option makes no sense. But it isn't completley clear.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-10, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure. It's definitely CL by RAMS, but is it just level by RAW, or is there a clause in the start if the chapter or in the magic chapter?

Ernir
2011-10-10, 10:18 PM
Caster Level is the most straightforward way to read it, as "a spell’s power often depends on its caster level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm)" (while I can't think of a spell whose power explicitly depends on class level). I guess it's not rigorously defined what "level" is being referred to in that line, but Caster Level should be inferred from the context.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure. It's definitely CL by RAMS, but is it just level by RAW, or is there a clause in the start if the chapter or in the magic chapter?

Quick skim of the magic section doesn't reveal anything. Closer scrutiny in the sections on Caster Level as well as spell effect doesn't either. Dug out my printed copy of PH and the entry is exactly the same. Would it be reasonable to interpet it to mean Caster Level?

tyckspoon
2011-10-10, 10:25 PM
Quick skim of the magic section doesn't reveal anything. Closer scrutiny in the sections on Caster Level as well as spell effect doesn't either. Dug out my printed copy of PH and the entry is exactly the same. Would it be reasonable to interpet it to mean Caster Level?

I think that's the only reasonable interpretation, yes; it's meant to be the same undefined-but-implied-to-be-Caster level as the ones referenced by the Duration lines (interestingly, the general description for Range tells you it means Caster Level, but Duration does not.)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 10:29 PM
Thanks all. I don't know why, but that little incongruity irked me enough to post it here.