PDA

View Full Version : touch attacks

wsmac77
2011-10-10, 10:25 PM
I am trying to remember, but I thought there was a magic item in 3.5 that made your melee attacks touch attacks. Does anyone know of such an enchantment? And if so, do you remember from what book? Thanks.

Siosilvar
2011-10-10, 10:29 PM
Brilliant Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#brilliantEnergy), Dungeon Master's Guide.

It has some drawbacks, namely that inorganics like undead and constructs are unaffected, and it doesn't ignore natural armor, but it's close to a touch attack.

There's a spell called Wraithstrike that gives you real touch attacks for 1 round; check Spell Compendium.

wsmac77
2011-10-10, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for something a little more permanent, but that might have been hoping for too much.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-10, 11:33 PM
Diamond Mind Emerald Razor will let you make a touch attack every other round (if going with a martial adept) or once per encounter if you take a feat or a cheap magic item, Novice Diamond mind ring (arround 3k IIRC)

Gwendol
2011-10-11, 02:47 AM
Wraithstrike?

Jeraa
2011-10-11, 11:37 AM
While not an enchantment, there are the Deep Impact/Fell Shot/Unavoidable Strike feats in Expanded Psionics Handbook. Not exactly easy to get though - minimum of 3 feats, and you must have at least 1 power point to use them (to get psionically focused).

koscum
2011-10-11, 11:59 AM
Wraithstrike from SC makes ALL your melee attacks in one round count as touch attacks. Find the Gap, which is also from SC, makes your first melee attack in a round a touch attack, but has a duration of CL rounds.

Wraithstrike is by far the best option and if your DM allows custom items which are made according to the Magic Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) table, it goes beyond awesome.

wsmac77
2011-10-11, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess I should have been more precise in saying it was for a rogue, but they were all good ideas none the less. I guess, if I can convince the DM to let me have it, the custom "Wraithstrike" weapon would be best. Though, unless I read it wrong it would need to be a +1 Wraithstrike weapon and cost 14k gold to get it, plus the cost of the weapon.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-11, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess I should have been more precise in saying it was for a rogue, but they were all good ideas none the less. I guess, if I can convince the DM to let me have it, the custom "Wraithstrike" weapon would be best. Though, unless I read it wrong it would need to be a +1 Wraithstrike weapon and cost 14k gold to get it, plus the cost of the weapon.

Don't ask for a Wraithstrike weapon. That will just make any more enhancments more expensive. Ask for Wraithstrike gloves. Plus, your less likely to replace your gloves than to replace your weapon with a shiny new one you found in the dragon's hoard. For reference, the custom creation rules for a continuous item are (Spell Level)x(Caster Level)x2000 gp. IIRC, wraithstrike is a 1st level spell, so 1x1x2000gp is 2000 gp. Make all your attacks touch attacks for 2000 gp. I would never allow that for such a price, maybe 20,000 gp. Maybe. But if your DM allows it, go all out dude.

EDIT: Plus you can argue the gloves will apply it to all attacks, while the weapon your stuck with that weapon only.

Zherog
2011-10-11, 01:00 PM
For reference, the custom creation rules for a continuous item are (Spell Level)x(Caster Level)x2000 gp. IIRC, wraithstrike is a 1st level spell, so 1x1x2000gp is 2000 gp. Make all your attacks touch attacks for 2000 gp.

You forgot this part of the formula:

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

Still ridiculously cheap, though.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-11, 01:02 PM
You forgot this part of the formula:

Still ridiculously cheap, though.

Ah. One intersting thing about that formula, it doesn't account for things that have hour/level but less than 24. But I'm guessing that means there is no modifier which would follow the trend. But, ya, continuous Wraithstrike for 8000 gp is stupidly cheap.

EDIT: It also neglects any spell with a duration measured in a specific number of minutes or hours.

Zherog
2011-10-11, 01:07 PM
Hour per level just has no multiplier/divider. The designers were OK with those sorts of spells being made into continuous use items.

wsmac77
2011-10-11, 01:09 PM
Actually, Wraithstrike is an Assassin 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 2 spell. So using the formula it would be:

(spell level) x (caster level) x 2,000gp x (multiplier for spell based on rounds of use) = 2 x 3 (if a wizard) x 2,000 x 4 = 48,000 gold

okay, that was a lot more than I was hoping for...but it still covers what I was looking for.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-11, 01:11 PM
Actually, Wraithstrike is an Assassin 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 2 spell. So using the formula it would be:

(spell level) x (caster level) x 2,000gp x (multiplier for spell based on rounds of use) = 2 x 3 (if a wizard) x 2,000 x 4 = 48,000 gold

okay, that was a lot more than I was hoping for...but it still covers what I was looking for.

That sounds like a reasonable price to me for its effect. Don't complain about its price. Its totally worth it.

wsmac77
2011-10-11, 02:37 PM
I agree that it is worth the price...but we are starting at level 3, with 2,700 gold. And with the math, that is just a little outside my price range. :smallbiggrin:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-11, 02:40 PM
Even with my orginal math, thats 20/27 of your starting gold. Most DM's won't let you spend that much of your starting gold on a single item. And at level 3, you shouldn't be too inaccurate. AC won't have gone up much since first level and you actually have BAB unlike 1st level. So your going to be fine till you can afford it. In the mean time, invest in UMD and buy a wand.

SirChuck
2011-10-11, 08:53 PM

There's also a feat that lets you make a spot check and if it succeeds, the next attack is a touch attack in Complete Adventurer or something.

But it's on the end of a fairy long feat chain.

Frankly, I think having every attack as a touch attack is ridiculous...

koscum
2011-10-12, 12:23 PM
There's also a feat that lets you make a spot check and if it succeeds, the next attack is a touch attack in Complete Adventurer or something.

But it's on the end of a fairy long feat chain.

Frankly, I think having every attack as a touch attack is ridiculous...
There's also a skill trick from Complete Scoundrel that does the same thing, but it requires 12 ranks in Spot.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-12, 12:30 PM
Brilliant Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#brilliantEnergy), Dungeon Master's Guide.

It has some drawbacks, namely that inorganics like undead and constructs are unaffected, and it doesn't ignore natural armor, but it's close to a touch attack.

Not to mention extremely expensive.

There's a spell called Wraithstrike that gives you real touch attacks for 1 round; check Spell Compendium.

If you have a very, very lenient DM, see about getting it made into a continuous use magic item. Pretty darn cheap if they fallow the guidelines (not rules!) as written.
Of course, if your DM is that lenient, having them throw in a similar item of True Strike and their unborn child should be no biggie.

Keneth
2011-10-12, 12:59 PM
1 level of warlock, eldritch glaive, make up to your maximum number of attacks as melee touch attacks. Plus, it's magic/energy damage or negative damage (depending on the system and essence) so it bypasses silly stuff as damage reduction and you can use it ranged when you can't get into melee.

The downside is you have to waste a level on it and it might not fit with your idea of the character. Also, with a maximum of 3 attacks, it's a lot worse than the 5 you would get when dual-wielding. Additionally, it's affected by spell resistance and since your caster level is 1, it makes it rather moot against such creatures.

Anyway, I know this isn't what you were asking about but I just thought I'd mention it since I've played a warlock/rogue before and it's a nice situational boost for when you have to quickly dispose of highly-amored enemies. (or leave it to your frontliner, it's his job)

Douglas
2011-10-12, 01:13 PM
There's an amulet (I think) in the Magic Item Compendium that can make a normal attack a touch attack 3 times per day. That may be closer to your current price range.

koscum
2011-10-13, 01:53 PM
There's an amulet (I think) in the Magic Item Compendium that can make a normal attack a touch attack 3 times per day. That may be closer to your current price range.
Heartseeking Amulet, MIC pg. 110, 3000gp, 3/day treat next melee attack as melee touch attack, swift (command)
Keep in mind that it only works on 1st attack in the round you activate it in. See if you can upgrade it so that it works on all of your attacks (aka. Wraithstrike 3/day). This way, you significantly reduce the chances of getting a random book (or even books) and a d4 thrown at you. Permanent Wraithstrike guarantees the "rock falls, everyone dies" scenario where everyone == you.