PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer's spell list

Laniius
2011-10-10, 10:34 PM
I just noticed something that may salvage 3.5 sorcerers from the scrap heap for me. Under Spells in the PHB it says

"[...]These new spells can be common spells chosen from
the sorcerer/wizard spell list (page 192), or they can be unusual
spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.
For example, a sorcerer with a scroll or spellbook detailing an
unusual sorcerer/wizard spell (one not on the sorcerer/wizard spell
list in this book) could select that spell as one of his new spells for
attaining a new level, provided that it is of the right spell level. The
sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a
faster rate, however."

Does this mean that a sorcerer, if he has a druid or cleric scroll, can add a druid or cleric spell to his spell list? Even though this would replace spells known it still opens up some new avenues for the poor sorcerer. Or am I misreading/misunderstanding something?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 10:37 PM
I just noticed something that may salvage 3.5 sorcerers from the scrap heap for me. Under Spells in the PHB it says

"[...]These new spells can be common spells chosen from
the sorcerer/wizard spell list (page 192), or they can be unusual
spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.
For example, a sorcerer with a scroll or spellbook detailing an
attaining a new level, provided that it is of the right spell level. The
sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a
faster rate, however."

Does this mean that a sorcerer, if he has a druid or cleric scroll, can add a druid or cleric spell to his spell list? Even though this would replace spells known it still opens up some new avenues for the poor sorcerer. Or am I misreading/misunderstanding something?

By a very cheesy RAW reading, yes. But I'm more inclined to say that is the writer's "out" so they can add more spells in splat books. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cog
2011-10-10, 10:51 PM
But I'm more inclined to say that is the writer's "out" so they can add more spells in splat books. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not needed; without that line, the Sorcerer still casts off the sor/wiz list, and plenty of spells have been added to that list, and I very much doubt there'd be any concern that those spells wouldn't count merely for not beginning on page 192.

The biggest roadblock here is what it takes to "gain an understanding of through study". The mechanics of that are undefined; it's entirely up to the DM just what you have to accomplish to reach that point. Is just reading the scroll enough? Making a Spellcraft check, like a Wizard scribing a new spell? Do you have to spend one year per spell level in meditation?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-10, 11:13 PM
"For example, a sorcerer with a scroll or spellbook detailing an
attaining a new level, provided that it is of the right spell level."

Looking at the emphasized text, it implies that a Sorcerer can only learn PHB Sorcerer/Wizard spells. Any Sorcerer/Wizard spell from a non-PHB source must be studied from a scroll or spellbook in order for him to learn it, according to that sentence. This does not give Sorcerers access to non-Sorcerer/Wizard spells, it only further restricts what spells he can learn without additional effort and DM arbitration.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-11, 12:28 AM

Looking at the emphasized text, it implies that a Sorcerer can only learn PHB Sorcerer/Wizard spells. Any Sorcerer/Wizard spell from a non-PHB source must be studied from a scroll or spellbook in order for him to learn it, according to that sentence. This does not give Sorcerers access to non-Sorcerer/Wizard spells, it only further restricts what spells he can learn without additional effort and DM arbitration.

And hence, this section is universally ignored.

Laniius
2011-10-11, 12:58 AM

You're right and I'm dumb. Oh well, back to bard/sublime chords for me. (I've never really liked wizards too much.)