PDA

View Full Version : the Beastmaster, a quick question.

chainer1216
2011-10-11, 12:19 AM
so, me and my DM disagree on how the class works at first level. one of my fellow players is a druid, and he's taking the class, mostly so he can have more apes. and my DM says that since he already has an animal companion, he doesn't get one at first level, based on what the third paragraph of that ability says. While i think its just saying that classes that give him an effective druid level stack with beastmaster, not that you dont get an animal companion at first level. though honestly, at this point i'm assuming my DM is correct, and that i'm just insane, i'd just like to hear you're thoughts.

TwylyghT
2011-10-11, 12:34 AM
It should favor your DMs take, if you have a companion already, and your original companion gains abilities as if your were a druid with levels equal to your druid levels + beastmaster levels + 3. The additional companions as they come count beastmaster levels only, at -3, -6, and -9.

A 10/10 Druid/Beastmaster would have 4 companions of effective druid levels 23, 7, 4, and 1 respectively.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-11, 01:12 AM
Read the last paragraph of the Beastmaster's Animal Companion class feature again. It specifically says that if you already had an animal companion from another class, your level stacks for that same companion rather than gaining another one.

If you want an extra pet, pick up Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).

Take the feat Natural Bond and get a 'level -3' companion. Since you get to add your own bonuses and penalties in the most beneficial order, you can apply the 'level -3' first, then add the +3 for Natural Bond so you can count your full Druid level for its benefits. If you have a Beastmaster level you can then add the extra +3 from that on top of it for an even stronger companion.