PDA

View Full Version : Master of Many forms help

Tavar
2011-10-11, 12:21 AM
Okay, for a game, I'm making a Master of Many Forms/Warshaper/wildshape Ranger. This is going to be a combat heavy game. Well, that's not true. It's a level 18 one-scene, to test out some homebrew. Currently, I'm thinking of doing Ranger5/War3/MoMF 10, probably with human as a base(cause, skills and the extra feat, of course). But, I could use some help finding good forms to take; I have easy access to MM1 and 2, but diving through everything is a bit of a chore. Any suggestions from the Wisdom of the Forum?

And, any suggestions regarding better class structure, feats, and the like is also appreciated.

Keld Denar
2011-10-11, 12:27 AM
Like....THIS (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules)?

Alteratively, grab Frozen Wildshape or Dragon Wildshape and poach forms from there.

Incanur
2011-10-11, 12:29 AM
You basically win the game with the seventh level of master of many forms. Turn into a war troll or twelve-headed hydra and laugh. War troll is so good you still might even want it at your level.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-11, 12:44 AM
Get aberration wildshape as well; lots of goodies there. Or exalted wildshape for free action blink dog teleports at the end of each round.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-11, 01:03 AM
For your feats, get Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Alertness, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Improved Natural Attack: Bite, Robilar's Gambit, and Defensive Sweep.

Frozen Wild Shape is in Frostburn, it allows you to take the form of a Cryohydra, provided it falls within your size and HD limitations.

Robilar's Gambit is from PH2, you can choose to take a -4 penalty to AC for a round, and you get to AoO anyone who attacks you during that time. A 12-headed Cryohydra gets to make 12 bites on an AoO.

Defensive Sweep is also in PH2, if someone begins their turn in a square you threaten and doesn't move during their turn, you get to AoO them. Again, 12 bites.

Your items should be a Monk's Belt with +6 Str added (MIC p234) and a Wilding Clasp, Gloves of Dex +6 with a Wilding Clasp, Armbands of Might plus Bracers of Opportunity plus Counterstrike Bracers (each property after the first is at +50% cost) with a Wilding Clasp, a bunch of 1st level Pearls of Power (tucked into your belt, it still functions to hold other items due to the Wilding Clasp), some decent armor with the Wild armor property (works with Monk AC bonus when wild shaped), and pick from this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) otherwise.

Note that you get Barbarian Fast Movement at Wild Shape Ranger 1, which still works when you Wild Shape. Your prepared Ranger spells should be Rhino's Rush, which is why you have the Pearls of Power. When you Power Attack for at least -2 the Armbands of Might increase your Power Attack bonus damage by +2, so that also gets increased by Leap Attack, which post-errata is not a multiplier effect. You can charge and leap attack in 12-headed cryohydra form with Rhino's Rush and make 12 bites at double damage.

Assuming Str 33 (23 hydra, +6 enhancement, +4 warshaper), and power attacking for only -2, your bites would deal 4d8+38 on a Rhino's Rush charge. Every additional -1 for Power Attack gets you +4 damage. Looking at the Combat section of the Hydra entry, "Hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty," which would imply that you can Power Attack for your full BAB without actually taking any penalty to hit, but good luck getting a DM to agree. Your AoOs after one of those charges would only be 2d8+19 (x12 bites), +2 per extra -1 of power attack.

Note that you can increase the base 2d8 damage to 3d8 via Morphic Weapons, and also keep in mind that there's no limit to how many times you can activate Morphic Weapons to increase the damage by an additional size category. You can also get another party member to cut off each of your heads (not all at once) so you regrow twice as many, for 24 bites per attack instead of just 12.

Kaje
2011-10-11, 06:19 AM
I'll note that if you were to take all five levels of warshaper rather than those last few MoMF, you can change from one animal to another pretty much at-will. Take Swift Wild Shape and you can even change and do useful things in the same round. Unless the point of the one-shot is to test out those last couple levels of MoMF, I'd say that's worth it. Besides, how many gargantuan 15 HD dragons with decent ex abilities are there anyway?