PDA

View Full Version : Sayings of the Shadows

DurionArcanis
2011-10-11, 01:38 AM
TL;DR Version in Spoiler
Looking for a good quote/mantra for a Shadowdancer, any thoughts?

So, I'm a long time gamer and roleplayer and over time I've encountered times I'd like to use a quote or a mantra for a character, sometimes I find or already have some, other times I make my own or ask others. I've created this account and decided to post this topic here asking if anyone has any good quotes for the following shadow/secrecy related classes/roles/etc as well as others you may think of. Primarily, I'd like the quotes to focus on darkness and shadows. My immediate goal for this is to find a good quote to use when making a character in a roleplay who's class will hopefully resemble a Shadowdancer (given the GM's willingness to allow it).

Shadowdancer
Shadowblade
Child of the Night
Shadowcaster
Shadowsmith
Assassin
Ninja
Other, similar classes/roles

gorfnab
2011-10-11, 02:36 AM
Umbral Disciple
Shadowcraft Mage
Shadowcrafter
Shadow Sentinel

DurionArcanis
2011-10-11, 02:47 AM
Hmm, are those other classes or something? If so I suppose if they would fit or something.

I'm looking for a quote though, something like a mantra or a good quote regarding shadows and/or darkness.

gorfnab
2011-10-11, 02:56 AM
Hmm, are those other classes or something? If so I suppose if they would fit or something.

Yes, these are more prestige classes.
Umbral Disciple - Magic of Incarnum
Shadowcraft Mage - Races of Stone
Shadowcrafter - Underdark
Shadow Sentinel - Races of Destiny

As far as quotes go the one that sticks in my head is "From the shadows, I come" which is from Starcraft II.

DurionArcanis
2011-10-11, 03:24 AM
That's a decent one, I like it, however I'm looking for something to try to wrap up that mindset, someone who follows the Way of the Shadows, something for a true apprentice of darkness and stealth.

The Tygre
2011-10-11, 03:36 AM
A classic, of course;

"Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence."

DurionArcanis
2011-10-11, 03:49 AM
That's a blast from the past, not many reference Simon & Garfunkle nearly enough these days. Still, the song is a little too abstract and it's meaning is in a different direction there.

I knew of a good quote before but I can't quite remember it... I used to have tons of shadow related quotes somewhere... Though the majority of them had a sort of evil theme to them. I want to portray Darkness as something beautiful and fearful, mysterious but not inherently evil by itself.

Kefkafreak
2011-10-11, 03:58 AM
I really don't get why Shadow is usually associated with Evil and Light with Good. Light can hurt in many ways, while Shadow can only protect.

You could make a character with that mindset, I guess.

Killer Angel
2011-10-11, 03:58 AM
"In my world, you don't need eyes to see", or the variation "You don't need sight, for the beauty of darkness"

I really don't get why Shadow is usually associated with Evil and Light with Good. Light can hurt in many ways, while Shadow can only protect.

"Let the darkness be your mantle, let the shadows protect you"?

DurionArcanis
2011-10-11, 04:14 AM
Most of my life I've believed the shadows and the night to be protecting me, so I'm not too unfamiliar with that mindset Kefka. Though I do understand why Dark=Evil and Light=Good in most people's eyes. It's due to the human mind's need for understanding. Darkness and shadows represent secrecy, mystery, and the unknown, as well as absence of light, and absence of life by extension. What Man doesn't know it doesn't understand, what it doesn't understand it fears, and what it fears it hates. Thus Dark=Evil. Light represents the Sun, all revealing, life giving, warm and protecting. Thus Light=Good. Fire destroys, yes, but warmth and light are necessary for life to flourish.

As for the quotes, we're getting there. I like those as well, in fact I've used something along the lines of the second one you listed Killer Angel, years ago though so I'm not sure whether I slapped it together myself or found it somewhere XD

NNescio
2011-10-11, 06:18 AM
Most of my life I've believed the shadows and the night to be protecting me, so I'm not too unfamiliar with that mindset Kefka. Though I do understand why Dark=Evil and Light=Good in most people's eyes. It's due to the human mind's need for understanding. Darkness and shadows represent secrecy, mystery, and the unknown, as well as absence of light, and absence of life by extension. What Man doesn't know it doesn't understand, what it doesn't understand it fears, and what it fears it hates. Thus Dark=Evil. Light represents the Sun, all revealing, life giving, warm and protecting. Thus Light=Good. Fire destroys, yes, but warmth and light are necessary for life to flourish.

As for the quotes, we're getting there. I like those as well, in fact I've used something along the lines of the second one you listed Killer Angel, years ago though so I'm not sure whether I slapped it together myself or found it somewhere XD

Are you...amendable to Latin quotes?

Vita similis umbrae
- Life is like a shadow.

Umbra sicut hominis vita.
- A person's life is like a shadow.

Meam vide umbram, tuam videbis vitam.
- Look at my shadow and you will see your life.

Vita fugit, sicut umbra
- Life passes like a shadow.

(The above are all sundial quotes. Generic enough for divination-like effects and when killing people.)

Pulvis et umbra sumus
- We are but dust and shadow.

(Suitable quote for the Ephemeral Storm/'Disintegrate' mystery)

Horace, "The Odes", Book IV.

Tempus fugit, sicut nubes, quasi naves, velut umbra
- Time flies, like clouds, like vessels, like shadows.

Virgil, "Georgics".

(Very suitable quote when using Shadow Time/Time Stop)

Umbrae enim transitus est tempus nostrum,
et non est reversio finis nostri:
quoniam consignata est, et nemo revertitur.

"For our time is like the passing of a shadow,
and nothing can reverse our end,
for it is signed and sealed, and cannot be returned."

"Vulgate", Book of Wisdom 2:5

Quasi flos egreditur et conteritur et fugit velut umbra et numquam in eodem statu permanet.

"He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down; He fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not."

"Vulgate", Book of Job 14:2. Translation is from the KJB.

gkathellar
2011-10-11, 06:27 AM
A catchphrase/calling card for a shadow-themed character? The Bard has one for you, the perfect thing to say before you disappear into the night.:

"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear."

DurionArcanis
2011-10-11, 06:30 PM
Hmm these are all good for some small sayings and phrases...

Shakespeare has a beautiful way of speaking but that quote is referring mainly to the fact that it's an actor and a play, a falsehood, a story. The "shadows" are actors, barely shadows of a thought, nowhere near the consistency of a true person, and the visions were false, no more real than a dream. While it's a nice poem, it wouldn't fit even to take a different meaning of it... though maybe if I twist it a bit with some of my own creativity.

Overall these quotes are helping a bit, I haven't seen anything like a eureka moment that will be perfect for the concept I'm working on, but so far there's tons of material to use for inspiration, much of which is pointing towards that perfect quote but isn't quite there.

Depending on how long it takes the GM of the game I'm joining to decide whether I'm allowed to use the character concept in his world, this thread might go on for a couple hours, days, or maybe even a week or two, but I'll be sure to pop in every now and then with updates and to let people know where I'm going so far.

Thanks for your help to this point, and I look forward to any more ideas you might come up with :)

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 07:12 PM
Like all good things in life, quotes can be pilfered liberally from MtG flavor text:
"Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do." (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=45361)
"If I must die, I will encounter darkness as a bride, and hug it in mine arms." (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=108919)
The shadow of the candle looms tall even as its light grows dim. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198372)
"Don't fear the darkness. Fear what it hides." / "Even the bravest of warriors yet knows the dark clutch of fright upon his stalwart heart." (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=83081)
The soul sheds light, and death is its shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247144)
Don't venture into the darkness, lest it decide not to let you leave. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=157399)