PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Wishes?

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-11, 02:53 AM
I have a couple quick questions on the ring of wishes. It seems a bit broken and so I'm sure this has come up before.

1) Wouldn't everyone's third wish be wishing for another ring of wishes? Is this RAW'd out somewhere? Or will it just get a book thrown at you while the DM does a Robin Williams impression of "no wishing for more wishes!"

2) Why are there magic items that are more expensive than a ring of wishes? For example, why wouldn't someone simply buy a ring of wishes and wish for the more expensive item?

As you can tell, my experience with the "Wish" spell is limited, so if there are other things I should know, please enlighten me.

Calanon
2011-10-11, 02:56 AM
1) Wouldn't everyone's third wish be wishing for another ring of wishes? Is this RAW'd out somewhere? Or will it just get a book thrown at you while the DM does a Robin Williams impression of "no wishing for more wishes!"

The DM will probably turn you into a ring of wishes (He technically made the wish come true)

2) Why are there magic items that are more expensive than a ring of wishes? For example, why wouldn't someone simply buy a ring of wishes and wish for the more expensive item?

Because usually when someone gets a ring of 3 wishes they don't use it unless its a life or death situation or they really want something stupid...

Case and point: One player at my table got one and when the entire campaign without using it once ever those times he would have died thinking he would waste a wish...

Kefkafreak
2011-10-11, 02:58 AM
Also because creating a magic item makes you lose more than 5000 xp.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-11, 03:32 AM
Also because creating a magic item makes you lose more than 5000 xp.

Even if you wish for it?

EDIT: With the ring of wishes?

Killer Angel
2011-10-11, 04:09 AM
Even if you wish for it?

EDIT: With the ring of wishes?

The fact is that the ring, is created with the minimum required, and since the wishes in it, follow the rule of the wish spell, you'll have:

The minimum XP cost for casting wish is 5,000 XP. When a wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay 5,000 XP or that cost, whichever is more. When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP.
The wishes in the ring, will have only 5.000 xp at their disposal, and create a magic item requires that (see bolded part)

Douglas
2011-10-11, 08:56 AM
A default Ring of Three Wishes cannot create magic items - not even a level 0 scroll - because doing so requires spending more than the minimum Wish XP cost and the default Ring is created with only the minimum XP. You want a scroll of Detect Magic? Sorry, that takes 5001 XP and the Ring only has 5000 XP to spend on each Wish. You want a new Ring of Three Wishes? Oh boy, that'll take 36836 XP, way beyond the power of all three Wishes combined.

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 11:18 AM
You could always wish for a ring of three wishes to be teleported to you from elsewhere. Its prior owner won't be happy about it, though.

Ksheep
2011-10-11, 11:23 AM
Or, of course, the DM could just give you a Ring of Three Wishes that has no wishes left in it, leaving you with two useless rings.