PDA

View Full Version : Help with spellforge (or other customisable spellbook)

aza9999
2011-10-11, 04:20 AM
We have a 'GM special' character, spontaneous caster (using favored soul spells known/per day) that chooses their spells from the bard and druid spell lists.

I've been using PCgen and got it to work, but it's very limited in the spells available (only SRD). Spellforge seems to have just about every spell imaginable but i havent been able to work out how to customise it to allow me to choose spells from both classes.

I went to the spell list hidden sheet and setup a formula in the favored soul column which checked the druid and bard spell level availability and if there was an entry it copied them in.

When i went to the favoured soul spell list though, it was still only showing favoured soul spells.

Anyone know how i could tweak the spellforge sheet to get it working?

Or failing that does anyone know of another spellbook program/spreadsheet that allows this sort of customisation and has most sources loaded in?

AspectOfNihil
2011-10-11, 04:45 AM
My father codes Spellforge and recommended the following:

http://www.nzcomputers.net/heroforge/default35.asp

Download “How to Add a New Spell (PDF)” 15th file down this should explain how to get the spell to populate any spell selection list

He said once he gets around to updating Spellforge he'll include the file for future needs.
Cheers for the heads up.

aza9999
2011-10-11, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I've gone through the pdf and adding a single spell seems pretty straightforward, but i can't see how to get it to repopulate a spell list entirely after changing which spells are available to that class.

Basically i've changed the favored soul column on the spell list so that every spell available to either druid or bard is in it's list instead of favored soul spells, but even going to 'sort spells post new additions' it still only lists the original favored soul spells.

I'm wondering if instead of trying to modify a class it may be easier to add a new a whole new class, is that possible?

Thank your old man for spellforge too, it's a great program, im just trying to do something very outside the ordinary lol. Is he responsible for heroforge too?

AspectOfNihil
2011-10-11, 05:39 AM
May be easier to just put in a custom class. Being only in my midteens and not being particularly computer-savvy I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of VB or Excell, so I won't be much help.

He's off now, but next time I see him I'll pass along the message.

Nah, he's independent, just hosts a site that holds Heroforge.
Yeah, personally, there is no way in hell I'd play any divine caster without spellforge, in our group, the printoff of Cleric spell lists is affectionately known as the tome.

On the face of it, adding a new custom class may be easier, but just outta curiousity, as bards get some spells a spell level earlier than other classes, how are you going to account for that with the factory bard spell list?

aza9999
2011-10-11, 05:41 AM
i did a if test that basically checked the druid list first to see if it got it, and if it did it used that level, otherwise it checked the bard list and used that level. If neither caster got that spell it left it empty

AspectOfNihil
2011-10-11, 05:45 AM
Nice, take a while to load the spell list but hey, beggers can't be choosers eh?
Anyway, good luck getting it all working mate.