PDA

View Full Version : Reptile Mounts

Eldan
2011-10-11, 08:34 AM
I'm looking for something quite specific:

I have a race of large-sized lizardmen-equivalents. They are nomadic, so I want to give them appropriate mounts.

What I'd like is something that is:

-Reptilian
-A quadruped
-Has a land speed of 40ft. or more (otherwise, walking would be faster for them)
-Large enough for large sized creatures to ride, i.e. huge or larger
-Nonmagical. As few special abilities as possible, preferably animal type.
-Isn't too strong in combat. That's the real problem, or I'd let them ride dinosaurs. A CR 3 or less would be preferable, though probably won't occur, 4 or 5 are tolerable, anything more is too much.

Andreaz
2011-10-11, 08:39 AM
Must they use reptiles just because they are also reptiles? D: I figured they could ride gryphs...

GodGoblin
2011-10-11, 08:41 AM
To be fair I think most huge reptilian creatures will be fairly powerfull in combat with things like trample and the general strength and Con of the creature.

It might not fit too well but some form of Giant Tortoise maybe? Slow moving (But good for long nomadic travel) and not too fierce in battle.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-11, 08:41 AM
if you have access to draconomican and don't mind it being too draconic, there's the Drakensteed (cr 3) the sname should give the details away :smallbiggrin:

Parra
2011-10-11, 08:46 AM
Isnt there a Reptile Template somewhere?

Savage Species I think

Yora
2011-10-11, 09:01 AM
Take an elephant and change the gore attack to bite. Done.

Or advance a rhinoceros to 13 HD and huge size.

Cog
2011-10-11, 09:08 AM
Vipers are apparently the only animal to reach Huge size without going beyond CR 3. Giant crocodile and huge shark are the next pair, at CR 4, by the list I'm looking at.

What you want doesn't seem to exist.

GodGoblin
2011-10-11, 09:10 AM
Maybe re fluff to viper to have legs? Gives you a long caravan, baggage carrying like creature to use

Eldan
2011-10-11, 09:13 AM
That could work. I also like the giant turtle idea.

Have a turtle that is not just huge, but Gargantuan, then expand it into a walking Yurt.

GodGoblin
2011-10-11, 09:14 AM
That could work. I also like the giant turtle idea.

Have a turtle that is not just huge, but Gargantuan, then expand it into a walking Yurt.

I like it!

Gwendol
2011-10-11, 09:18 AM
In that vein of questioning; what officially specified reptile mounts are there? Source at least? I know there are some bipedal riding lizards in the underdark... what else (barring dinos)?

Eldan
2011-10-11, 09:19 AM
Well, technically, you can ride pretty much every animal in the right size category. However, there aren't too many non-dino lizards.

GodGoblin
2011-10-11, 09:21 AM
Yeah I think they tend to cover that base with Draconic creatures, I seem to remember a plot hook in the DMG about Lizard folk raiders on Dragon Turtles.

Parra
2011-10-11, 09:25 AM
So a horse with the Reptilian template and an interesting fluff description (lots of scales and horns) wouldnt cut it?

Eldan
2011-10-11, 09:26 AM
Well, no. Horses are too small.

I think I will go with slightly changed giant crocodiles. Give them a bit more land speed, drop their swim speed and hold breath. That should work.

Gwendol
2011-10-11, 09:28 AM
Monitor lizard?

GodGoblin
2011-10-11, 09:28 AM
Oh another thing ive liked the sound of is a Bullette mount but I cant really see it with Lizard folk though.

Eldan
2011-10-11, 09:29 AM
Challenge Rating 7, though. More something for a champion.

GodGoblin
2011-10-11, 09:32 AM
Ah yeah, unless you have it so its completley laden with boxes, saddle bags and possibly a howdah type construction so it is incapable of fighting fully?

Eldan
2011-10-11, 09:40 AM
That's an idea. But in that case, I'd be pretty much back to my giant turtle.
I wonder how heavy siege engines are.

Starshade
2011-10-11, 09:45 AM
All the dinosaurs can't be statted up as combat monsters in D&D, is they? :smallconfused:
I'd think, an realistically statted up Iguanodon or Duck billed dinosaur would be relatively great. Both are almost quadruped, tho both would run fast on two legs, and be more prone to run scared than fight.
I don't know if any of those got official D&D stats from memory, but, these I think are more or less the Dinosaur version of giantic gentle prey animals without weapons.

GodGoblin
2011-10-11, 09:48 AM
Probably not too heavy when you consider that quadrupeds have double capacity :smallsmile:

On the bullette idea though one thought I had was that the Lizardfolk use narcotics to keep the beasts docile, pretty much they have some sort of muzell/feedbag that makes the bullette breath opium fumes so they are easily controlled.

Im using Lizardfolk in a campiagn im about to run so that may just feature as an extra bit of fluff and help bring them to life a bit more. Also gives the more inventive PCs the chance to remove the masks, sending the Bulettes beserk :smallbiggrin:

Parra
2011-10-11, 09:53 AM
Well, no. Horses are too small.

I think I will go with slightly changed giant crocodiles. Give them a bit more land speed, drop their swim speed and hold breath. That should work.

ah missed that the race was larged sized, thought the mount was large.

Lowest CR Huge sized quadriped animal I know is a Dire Elk (Cr7) so CR8 with Reptilian template

For Magical Beast there is the Bulette but thats also CR 7

Your best bet is taking a more mundane animal and simply increasing its size category and adjust its CR accordingly, maybe even refluffing or templating to suit your need.

This site (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/) might be handy for you if your browsing monsters from alot of sources. It doesnt cover every single book with monsters, but its a good amount of them