PDA

View Full Version : Travel: Anyone been to these islands?

Talya
2011-10-11, 08:39 AM
Early 2012 we're taking a Caribbean cruise (adults only, kids are staying with babysitters.)

We're visiting the following locations:
Grand Turk Island (Turks & Caicos Islands)
Catalina Island (Dominican Republic, 1.5 miles off the coast of La Romana)
Aruba (Netherlands Antilles Islands)
Curaçao (Netherlands Antilles Islands)

I'm wondering if anyone has travelled to these places, and know of any "must see" spots that someone spending a day on them should go to.
Taking a short boat trip from Catalina Island back to La Romana is a possibility, if we think it's a good idea.

Rhydeble
2011-10-11, 10:37 AM
It's been a while but I've been to Aruba and Curacao. The "handelskade" in Willemstad (curacao) is really a beautiful sight to see. I dont'remember much more because I was twelve at the time, although if you can go diving, it's beautiful around there.

Talya
2011-10-12, 05:47 AM
Seems not many playgrounders visit the Caribbean. :smallfrown:

Orzel
2011-10-12, 04:54 PM
Seems not many playgrounders visit the Caribbean. :smallfrown:

I've been to over 15 Caribbean islands.

Just none of those. I've been to all the Windward Islands and many Leeward. But none of the Leeward Antilles.

Well I did go to Aruba. For Carnival. But only for a short time and I was too young to remember any of it now.

Sorreh dat me no 'elp. Mnah go down dare.

Talya
2011-10-12, 08:22 PM
I've been to over 15 Caribbean islands.

Just none of those.

Hey! that's the same as me. So far. I'm about to go to those 4...

Nomrom
2011-10-12, 09:39 PM
Never been to any of those islands, but I did live in the Dominican Republic for two years. Unfortunately, I was on the other side of the island so I never went to La Romana. About all I know about it is they have really good golfing there. So if golfing is your thing, you might want to check out some of their courses.

Orzel
2011-10-13, 07:49 AM
Talya, are you going during Carnival season? All I know about the Dutch ABC islands offhand is that they have a slightly different one than the Leeward and Windward Islands.

Talya
2011-10-13, 09:22 AM
Talya, are you going during Carnival season? All I know about the Dutch ABC islands offhand is that they have a slightly different one than the Leeward and Windward Islands.

Ha. I'm going on a Carnival ship... not what you meant.

Mid-february. No idea on when carnival season is.

Orzel
2011-10-13, 09:46 AM
Ha. I'm going on a Carnival ship... not what you meant.

Mid-february. No idea on when carnival season is.

I already knew that with my Batman skills.

Trip to multiple islands in Lesser Antilles = Cruise
All adults, no kids, playgrounder = Carnival

I believe Aruba's Jouvert and Carnival is February 18th & 19th. You might catch. Just make sure to get back on the ship on the first sign of crazy.

Cristo Meyers
2011-10-13, 09:57 AM
Let's see what I can remember from my own cruise around there...

Aruba had great beaches and walking through the markets was interesting. Could probably spend the day just wandering around there. I'm completely blanking on historical sites right now...

Curacao had some incredible views even just from the bus-tour that we ended up taking. The one site I remember most was the Curacao distillery.