PDA

View Full Version : Help find a spell

ILM
2011-10-11, 11:02 AM
I'm looking for a tactical mobility spell (such as Dimension Door, Dimension Jumper, etc.) of level 5 or below, available to Sorcerers and Wizards, and of the Abjuration, Divination, Illution or Transmutation schools. I'm making a Suel Arcanamach-based light gish and I just realized that was kind of a massive hole in my (very limited) spell selection.

Halp?

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 11:06 AM
All teleportation spells are Conjuration, so you're out of luck there. Consider dipping Conjurer for Abrupt Jaunt, if you have the Intelligence for it, or Ardent for Dimension Hop if your Wisdom is up to speed.

Ithandor
2011-10-11, 11:26 AM
All teleportation spells are Conjuration, so you're out of luck there. Consider dipping Conjurer for Abrupt Jaunt, if you have the Intelligence for it, or Ardent for Dimension Hop if your Wisdom is up to speed.

Not technically true (although mostly!). If you have some way of generating fires, you could try to work in Fire Stride from Spell Compendium, 4th level Transmutation.

If you have a feat to spare somewhere, you could pick up Martial Study(Shadow Jaunt). Alternatively, you could get the Shadow Hand equivalent of the Crown of White Ravens (ToB) to grant Shadow Jaunt.

Ith

ILM
2011-10-11, 11:30 AM
Item of Shadow Jaunt might work, thanks. It's a bit unfortunate that it's only 1/encounter though.

I found Lightning Leap in CM, which allows for movement up to 60 ft in a straight line; I was hoping for something longer-ranger. The idea is to be able to close quickly with a full caster, before he gets a chance to a) blow me out of the world, or b) flee. Yes, I know taking on a caster as a meleer is suicidal - I'm not trying to be good at it, just as good as can realistically be done :smalltongue:.

Darrin
2011-10-11, 11:35 AM
I'm looking for a tactical mobility spell (such as Dimension Door, Dimension Jumper, etc.) of level 5 or below, available to Sorcerers and Wizards, and of the Abjuration, Divination, Illution or Transmutation schools.

Try lightning leap (Complete Mage). If you can get access to cleric or paladin spells, knight's move (SC) might work (Prestige Paladin?).

Ah, here we go... if you have at least 6 HD, you can cast heroics (SC) to pick up Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt. Shadow jump up to 50' as a standard action, lasts 10 min/CL.

Ithandor
2011-10-11, 11:40 AM
Item of Shadow Jaunt might work, thanks. It's a bit unfortunate that it's only 1/encounter though.

I found Lightning Leap in CM, which allows for movement up to 60 ft in a straight line; I was hoping for something longer-ranger. The idea is to be able to close quickly with a full caster, before he gets a chance to a) blow me out of the world, or b) flee. Yes, I know taking on a caster as a meleer is suicidal - I'm not trying to be good at it, just as good as can realistically be done :smalltongue:.

Hmmm... if you can get a metamagic rod of Sculpt Spell (or Metamagic School Focus(trans), I guess, but that starts to get feat intensive), you could increase Lightning Leap's range to 120ft. Based on the assumption (as I don't remember offhand) that SA doesn't get 6th level slots...

EDIT: if you were to pick up Swift Expeditious Retreat also, you could SER -> move action -> Lightning Leap, would give you ~180ft of distance closing.

Ith

Darrin
2011-10-11, 12:46 PM
Hmmm... if you can get a metamagic rod of Sculpt Spell (or Metamagic School Focus(trans), I guess, but that starts to get feat intensive), you could increase Lightning Leap's range to 120ft.

Won't work. Sculpt Spell only changes a spell's area, it has no effect on it's range (which is why a sculpted burning hands is still limited to a 15' range).

Found another one... use shadow evocation to cast firestride exhalation (Dragon Magic).