PDA

View Full Version : Three Dragon Ante - A Meeting of Heroes

Chronologist
2011-10-11, 02:30 PM
So, I had the idea of a sort of murder mystery taking place on Halloween, where I would get my players together to play Three Dragon Ante - in character. Each player would choose a class from the list below and gain the benefit of that class, then they have to roleplay as a character of that class. The prize (in-game) would be a minor artifact the game's sponsor is selling of (in return for all the gold the players bring in).

The players would all be around level 12 and start with 50 gems, each one worth 1,000 gp (so, with at least 6 players, the sponsor's getting a nice 300,000 for his artifact). The Inn is under a high-level Sanctuary effect, so everybody has to play nice.

It'd probably be a $10 buy-in, so as host I can pay for food and supplies, and I would be the bartender and sponsor of the game (so I don't play, but I'll be able to set up props, deal, set up the drinks, and ensure fair play).

There are two winners, the player who wins all the chips, and the player who role-played the best during the game. Each player gets to play their character, as they described them, in the new campaign I'll run as of November.

Without further ado, here are the classes, based on Pathfinder classes:

The Wizard: At the beginning of each round, select a kind of dragon. That dragon’s effect cannot activate.

The Sorcerer: Whenever you play a Color flight you instead gain gold equal to the strongest dragon in the flight plus one.

The Fighter: If you tie the ante, you begin play first. If your flight is tied for strongest, you go first. If you tie a hand, you win the hand.

The Rogue: Whenever you steal gold, you may steal an additional gold piece.

The Monk: Cards in your hand and ante cards you play can't be taken by another player. If forced to pay gold for a card, instead pay 2 less gold.

The Bard: The abilities of Mortals activate regardless of the strength of the last dragon played. Mortals are considered the same color for the purposes of color flights.

The Paladin: If your flight contains nothing but three Good dragons, you may draw two cards.

The Antipaladin: If your flight contains nothing but three Evil dragons, you may steal the weakest evil dragon’s strength from a player.

The Ranger: At the end of the Ante step, designate a type of card (good, evil, mortal). Each card of that type is considered 1 power less towards winning the gambit.

The Cleric: After Ante has been declared, you may send a card from your hand to the ante in order to return another player’s ante to your hand. You amy only do this once per ante.

The Barbarian: During the Ante you may add 4 gold to the pot to force every other player to add 2 to the pot. You may only do this once per ante.

The Druid: You pay 2 less gold to the ante, to a minimum of 2. You cannot be forced to add more to the ante.

The Magus: When you play strength flights you steal gold from each player instead of from the pot.

The Summoner: The effects of dragons you play activate so long as their power is no more than 2 points higher than the power of the last dragon played.

The Inquisitor: At the end of the Ante, you may choose to look at another player’s hand.

The Cavalier: As long as your flight is the weakest, the effects of dragons you play activate.

The Witch: Whenever you play a mortal and its effect would activate, you may instead choose to activate the effect of the last card played.

The Oracle: At the end of each turn you draw three and discard a card. When you draw to 4 you draw 5 instead and discard 1.

The Alchemist: You may substitute the effect a dragon you play for the effect of a dragon in the ante of the same type. You may not copy God cards this way.

The Ninja: At the end of the ante, you may choose to discard your hand and skip this gambit before you put your gold in the ante. You add your draw value to the next round’s ante.

The Samurai: Gold cannot be stolen from you. Special flights do not force you to pay your opponents gold.

The Gunslinger: Whenever you have 0 cards in hand, you draw to 6 instead of 4.

So, what do you think? With 22 classes, there's more than enough choice for everyone. I think the classes are all pretty much balanced in their own way.

-Chronologist

Chronologist
2011-10-12, 04:44 PM
I just got Emperor's Gambit, and in the back there are a few abilities for characters with relevant skills. They seem appropriate as well. I'll include them into the game proper and classes.

Does anyone own the game and have a comment?

Balain
2011-10-30, 04:52 AM
I don't own it, just cause I can't buy every game I want right now. I have played it quite a bit but mostly just causly, this does sound like a fine Idea to me though.

zolga
2011-10-30, 12:11 PM
cool idea
ability to personalize a card game is always welcome

Acanous
2011-10-31, 04:22 AM
Paladin seems a bit weak, but the rest look fine.

Would really suck if one guy went Barbarian, and there was a Samurai and a Druid XP