PDA

View Full Version : Spell Scaling Question

gooddragon1
2011-10-11, 07:07 PM
Is there any way to get my spells (wizard class) to exceed the cap for damage other than the enhance spell feat? (preferably a non-feat intensive method please)

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 07:14 PM
Is there any way to get my spells (wizard class) to exceed the cap for damage other than the enhance spell feat? (preferably a non-feat intensive method please)
Reserves of Strength (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) combined with Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) lets you break the cap by a couple of dice.

gooddragon1
2011-10-11, 07:39 PM
Reserves of Strength (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) combined with Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) lets you break the cap by a couple of dice.

I was actually looking for something that would perform similarly to the enhance spell feat (psions can do this but my DM doesn't allow it).

What I found is this: archmage's arcane fire ability and stacking improved spell capacities. This will give me a 2/3rds scaling damage by sacrificing the spell slot. I need not have the int score to cast a spell out of the slot because I'm simply sacrificing it to the ability.

Curious
2011-10-11, 07:42 PM
Yes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic), there is.

gooddragon1
2011-10-11, 07:46 PM
Yes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic), there is.

The problem there is that you cannot take that feat multiple times (or allows full scaling). If you could I would actually accept that solution.

Randomguy
2011-10-11, 07:48 PM
There's a homebrew warmage fix on these forums that does this, but I can't find it at the moment.

gooddragon1
2011-10-11, 07:54 PM
There's a homebrew warmage fix on these forums that does this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Should be core or recognized third party but I might be able to negotiate homebrew if it is very well balanced. Note that I would prefer not to lose my wizard casting (though I'd be willing to take a dip into a prestige class or base class if necessary)

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 07:57 PM
I was actually looking for something that would perform similarly to the enhance spell feat (psions can do this but my DM doesn't allow it).
Wait, your DM banned augmenting psionic powers? What?

gooddragon1
2011-10-11, 08:08 PM
Wait, your DM banned augmenting psionic powers? What?

Psionics is banned entirely. More specifically "It doesn't exist in the campaign"

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 08:12 PM
I see.

It's probably more effective to spend resources on metamagic than it is to break the caps. For the exorbitant cost of Enhance Spell, you could have used Energy Admixture to double your damage, for instance.