PDA

View Full Version : Quirky Miniboss Squad optimization

Little Brother
2011-10-11, 07:29 PM
Players DO NOT LOOK! You know who you are.

I had some plans for a sort of a Team Rocket/Pinky and the Brain/recurring Quirky Miniboss Squad. Goals fall somewhere between making money and taking over the world, depending on the day. The idea is one Brain, one brute, a wannabe Starscream who does the more socially-stuff, and one or two more, added on later.

The players are a Warblade, a Crusader, a PsyWar, and a Mystic Ranger mounted archer on a Wild Cohort Dire Wolf(I let him take it early, since he said he'd want to stay out of combat anyway, and it works with the fluff). The game will go on from LV 3 to about 15. Now, I need to make this group just strong enough to be a threat, but silly and/or weak enough to be humorous, and borderline butt-monkey.

I am sold on Charlatan for the Starscream, but unsure how to proceed from there and before it am unsure about the rest. The leader, I am thinking, is either going to be a smart but low wisdom(somewhat crazy/incompetent), a Nale(Thinks he's brilliant, but sucks), or is actually strong /smart, but is constantly dragged down by the others. In case or the first or last, I am thinking Daring Outlaw, but I am unsure about the middle option. Hexblade, maybe? The dumb muscle is probably just going to be a Fighter/Barbarian, but that's so plain and just straight inferior to everyone in the party in every way.

The big issue with the Charlatan is, for plot purposes, he needs to be scary strong at the end(He has an agenda, and is feigning incompetence or takes a level of badass, unsure which, but eh) One thing I am considering doing is, though I'd rather have a second option, is just make Charlatan a NPC base class so he goes Charlaran 5/Chameleon 10.

So, any thoughts? My ability to set up NPCs that don't tear the PCs apart, but aren't pathetically easy, is not my strong point, which is why I want help.

Thanks for any assistance!

Runestar
2011-10-11, 10:57 PM
What's this charlatan class?

Leader - warforged wizard or psion? Low wis means little common sense, even if he is capable of cold, calm logic.

Muscle - warforged barb/fighter/warforged juggernaut?

Greyfell
2011-10-11, 11:13 PM
charlatan is from dragon compendium, iirc. It's one of those base classes that the capstone makes you into a NPC pretty much :)

Little Brother
2011-10-11, 11:34 PM
What's this charlatan class?

Leader - warforged wizard or psion? Low wis means little common sense, even if he is capable of cold, calm logic.

Muscle - warforged barb/fighter/warforged juggernaut?
It's from Dragon 335. You are a VERY good liar, and it lets you replicate spells like Suggestion, Charm, Fear, and Curse, Dispel crap, whip up attitude in a city and such. This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6543.0) should give you some better info.

And Warforged are all military-controlled in this campaign setting, so they aren't an option. That sounds good, though. Also, neither does T1 and 2. Should have mentioned that, sorry.

charlatan is from dragon compendium, iirc. It's one of those base classes that the capstone makes you into a NPC pretty much :)No, that's the Mounteblanc.

Greyfell
2011-10-11, 11:59 PM
charlatan, mountebank.. potato, tomato...

this is why I put 'iirc' :)

Chained Birds
2011-10-12, 07:22 AM
The muscle could be one of those evil/neutral Paladins. Everyone knows how stupid a Paladin can be, and would be an interesting concept if the Pally was actually good aligned and heavily influenced by the brain.
Pally:"Gee Brain, what are we going to do tonight?"
Brain:"The same thing we do every night, try to take over the World!"
Pally:"...To make it a better place right?"
Brain:"...Yeh...sure..."
Pally:"YEEEHHH!"