PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help making a few pre-gen'd characters.

Forb
2011-10-11, 07:46 PM
Spoiler contains relevant but unnecessary information.

So I'm going to be running a new game with a new group at a comic shop. I expect there to be several groups at least, and other than that I have no idea what to expect.

For the first event/meeting I'm planning on bringing my module of The Sunless Citadel, which I've run before. It's good for levels 1-4 and mostly a dungeon adventure of sorts. If things go as I'm hoping, the following weeks I will begin my own campaign in an existing world of my creation.

I know there will be plenty of time to create characters for people and teach them how to play, but I'd much prefer to have character sheets available to give out and get right down to business.

I'm a strong advocate of being creative with character creation and not limiting creativity by the system (i.e. Rogue not always being a thief). I'd like for any pre-generated characters to reflect this. I also don't want a party full of humans or short races.

So here's what help I'm looking for: Any help creating a handful of pre-generated characters to form a party. The characters should be easy to pick up and slightly creative in nature. A small amount of background story or role-playing tips for these characters would be a great help. I'm not looking for full-optimization but I want these characters to be effective for any player to pick up and have fun with.

I'm distracted at the moment while making this post so please ask any questions that are unclear.

Thank you!

Waker
2011-10-11, 07:58 PM
Well, a few questions should be asked.
How many players are actually going to be playing?
Is the system 3.5 or PF?

I'm not familiar with Sunless Citadel, so I can't be sure if that will have any impact on the game or not, but whatever. I'd say you'll want to start off with nice simple characters for new players, here are my suggestions.
Skill user: Rogue or Scout. I like Factotum, but a new player doesn't need to learn about the tripping rules right away or skills like Iajutsu.
Spellcaster: Warlock. Warlocks are good for beginners since they can just use their spells all day long.
Tank: Barbarian or perhaps Paladin. Barbarian would be nice since they have the skills to do stuff outside of combat, while the Paladin can fufill the healer role by carrying around a wand of cure light.

hex0
2011-10-11, 08:08 PM
You dont have to use Iajutsu shenanigans and tripping is pretty simple. I second Factotum. May be more complex for a brand new player.

Warlock is easy to pick up and play.

I played Sunless Citadel. It is fun and suited well for the iconic four member party.

Dwarf Factotum, Elf Warlock, half-orc Barbarian, lesser aasimar Cleric would do well.

Forb
2011-10-11, 08:36 PM
Well, a few questions should be asked.
How many players are actually going to be playing?
Is the system 3.5 or PF?

I have no idea how many players there will be, but I won't run it without at least 3.

The system will be 3.5.

I like the suggestions so far, I will definitely be using some of them. I agree that Factotum is likely to be a bit much for any new players, but I would not be opposed to having a Factotum ready to go in case a player was eager to try it out.

Flickerdart
2011-10-11, 08:40 PM
Iaijutsu isn't shenanigans, and is one of the only ways a Factotum can deal decent damage in combat (aside from Cunning Strike stacking).

Waker
2011-10-11, 08:44 PM
Iaijutsu isn't shenanigans, and is one of the only ways a Factotum can deal decent damage in combat (aside from Cunning Strike stacking).
Never said it was shenanigans. It is however an obscure rule that just gets combined with an odd weapon. And the goal is to make a nice simple character for a new player. Factotum is a great class, but I'd say let someone play one after getting some experience.

Rosleaw
2011-10-11, 09:25 PM
I'm actually with the same problem. I have a 4 players group with the posibility of 4 more in the future. so i build a up a lesser adventure for them to learn the basics rule (a little 3or 4 hour dungeon) and let them read the player's handbook. Then i go and look for some characters i made (and tons of build around the internet) just to pick something i would use and will present them to my players as pre made characters. I have6 right now:
A halfling rogue
Rogue 4/Fighter 2/Guild Thief 3/Nightsong Enforcer 1/Dervish 5/Invisible Blade 5
a human sorcerer:the main arcane spell caster so probably sorc lvl 20
another human but cleric: the same as above
a dwarve paladin: still building it but maybe: paladin 5 fighter 2 Dwarven defender 10 fist of raziel 3
an elan psion level 20 (i love teaching new tipes of magic to new players)
and a half orc or human barbarian going: human barbarian5/fighter2/bear warrior10/warshaper3.
I actually found all this things here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19860942/Character_Optimization_Board_3.5_Build_FAQ?post_id =338100670#338100670
i will listen and follow this post good luck
PD: every build has his flavor stuff (like half orc or dervish) but i will play with it. Also i speak spanish for my native language so please oversee my spelling

hex0
2011-10-11, 11:12 PM
Never said it was shenanigans. It is however an obscure rule that just gets combined with an odd weapon. And the goal is to make a nice simple character for a new player. Factotum is a great class, but I'd say let someone play one after getting some experience.

Full disclosure: Sorry for calling full shenanigans. I meant it in the sense that the Factotum class is pretty complex compared to rogue to begin with and mixing in a skill from OA and (usually) an exotic weapon (gnome quickrazor) is a bit much for new players. Even in standard games you need DM permission most of the time to use Iajutsu focus. Either way Factotum is tier 3...but that is another story.

Anyway, Id suggest a common rogue build for a beginner player with a backup factotum. I think that is smart.

You may want to roll up a Savant too as they dabble in a bit of everything as well.