PDA

View Full Version : I'd Like to Ask the Audience...

Doughnut Master
2011-10-11, 10:07 PM
So, I'm working on an idea for a Changeling that hunts other shapeshifters. The build so far is: Monk 2/Ranger 6/Warshaper 4/Barbarian 2/Tattooed Monk 5/??? 1

It's an urban setting, and my thought is that rather than try to bluff his way past people in full gear, he goes around discreetly, snapping necks and chewing bubble gum.

Unfortunately, I'm running into some trouble pulling it all together. I have a suspicion that this is due both to MAD and the fact that I'm already losing 3 points of BAB with this build. I was looking into rogue or scout for some extra damage, but I just don't know.

Important Notes/Houserules:
No ToB
Speed bonuses granted by class features are untyped.
No multiclass penalties.
No alignment restrictions.

Feats considered:
Superior Unarmed Strike
Improved Grapple (For Tat Monk)
Ascetic Hunter

Any advice on things to add or drop?

Tr011
2011-10-11, 11:37 PM
No ToB

Feats considered:
Superior Unarmed Strike

xD

I hope you mean Lion Totem (CC) Barbarian, so you get Pounce instead of fast movement. I'd take only Ranger 3 for Endurance and Barbarian 1 for Rage+Pounce, then taking 4 levels in Scout (CAdv). That way, you get:
Uncanny Dodge (instead of from Barbarian 2)
Fast Movement (instead of from Barbarian 1, where you take Pounce)
a bonus feats (instead of from Improved Combat Style)
Trapfinding and trackless step (instead of useless spells from Ranger)
Skirmish +1d6, +1 AC (instead of that crappy animal that follows you everywhere)

Since you obviously went for flurry of blows+TWF, that Pounce+Skirmish-Combo fits perfectly. You should consider level 5 of Scout, too, and trade that second Evasion for something:

Feign Death (EoE, p 21): lose evasion, gain ability to appear dead
Invisible Fist (EoE, p 21): lose evasion, gain ability to turn invisible
Spell Reflection (CM, p 35): Lose evasion, gain the ability to reflect spells targeted at you that miss.

Make sure you take either Improved Natural Weapons (MM1) or Fists of Iron (CW), I'd prefer the second one.
Power Attack (PHB), Flying Kick (CW), Extra Stunning (CW), Extra Stunning (CW) and some sort of Ki-Feat (a feat that uses up stunning fist attempts for something awesome) can be useful, too.
Karmic Strike (CW) and Combat Reflexes (PHB) can be fun for defense, too, and they are really cool with the Mage-Slayer-Line (CM).

marcielle
2011-10-12, 03:42 AM
For pure fluff, go a cleric of the Silver Flame. Their major (good) claim to fame was exterminating a plague of werewolves and IIRC they still hate them and label them abominations.
1.Get truth and inquisition domains.
2.Scry the heck out of an area once you have enough clues.
3.Go in and kill them all cos you're an effin cleric.
4.Go cloistered cleric if your DM will allow it since a hunter of this type uses knowledge as his weapon and you'll have enough points to be sneaky.

You can grab yourself a level in a sneaky class and get light armor. For purposes of finding and getting the drop on them.
No bluffin for you once you find your mark, you walk in with all the authority of a militant church and go templar on their asses.

Take Darkstalker(I think that was the name but I'm not sure) feat. They can't even smell you coming till the whole area is alight in cleansing flame.
Take a bow and zen archery and you can snipe them from rooftops. Bonus points for silver bolts. Carry normal ones too for other enemy types.

PrC insto Divine Crusader or Church Inquisitor as you se fit.

You'll want Mithril Breastplate and a maxed out hide/move silently taken from any class that has it

Dr.Epic
2011-10-12, 10:44 AM
Wait, barbarian then tattooed monk? You realize barbarians lose their rage ability if they go lawful right?

Really, I'd try and limit my self to two classes even if multiclassing penalties have been removed. Maybe just go monk/ranger, monk/rogue, or ranger/rogue. Something a little more simple.

Tokuhara
2011-10-12, 10:49 AM
Wait, barbarian then tattooed monk? You realize barbarians lose their rage ability if they go lawful right?

Really, I'd try and limit my self to two classes even if multiclassing penalties have been removed. Maybe just go monk/ranger, monk/rogue, or ranger/rogue. Something a little more simple.

No alignment restrictions.

He already covered that.

My 2c:

Barbarian/Monk/Tattooed Monk/Drunken Master

Mockingbird
2011-10-12, 12:01 PM
I am happy now.
I've found someone else who plays a changeling warshaper. :D

Diarmuid
2011-10-12, 12:11 PM
I get the mechanics of the build, but completely fail to see how this person specializes in "hunting other shapeshifters" as opposed to just "kills things he wants to".

hex0
2011-10-12, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't take that much Ranger unless you are playing a Swift Hunter. Take Druid or Cleric with the Animal domain into Prestige Ranger instead.

Doughnut Master
2011-10-12, 04:30 PM
I get the mechanics of the build, but completely fail to see how this person specializes in "hunting other shapeshifters" as opposed to just "kills things he wants to".

Oh. Sorry, that was more just fluff. For the Ranger, my DM is ok with me choosing Monstrous Humanoids and Humanoid (Shapechanger).