PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Challenge: a fun new healer

Rentaromon
2011-10-11, 10:35 PM
ok my party is split in 2. one of the parties is in desperate need of a healer but id rather not give them ANOTHER cleric healer, i want to mix things up.
So ill issue a challenge to you giants in your playground, can u make a new fun healer? I have 1 idea in mind but i want to see what you guys can think of.

The Restrictions:
anything on the pathfinder SRD website, save for some of the super OP things like the 3rd party fate domain.

can not use the cleric class.

can not be item dependent.

build for lvl 7 but make sure he/she works by lvl 3.

Bonus:
i rolled for random bonus, you gain a random domain(or an inquisitors Inquisition if u so choose) , if your a caster you also gain the knowledge of the spells it gives at the appropriate levels.

if u want ill post my idea.
up to the challenge?

Psyren
2011-10-11, 10:39 PM
Have you looked at Chirurgeon? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/chirurgeon) No idea how effective they are, but they're definitely unique.

Vitalist is a fantastic healer (I'm writing a guide for them) but they're not on the SRD yet unfortunately.

Rentaromon
2011-10-11, 11:00 PM
Have you looked at Chirurgeon? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/chirurgeon) No idea how effective they are, but they're definitely unique.

Vitalist is a fantastic healer (I'm writing a guide for them) but they're not on the SRD yet unfortunately.

any idea wear i can see this vitalist? and the healer alchemist is interesting but i have always felt the alchemist to be horrible, everything even half decent comes at lvl 10 or higher and u only get 1 or 2 nice things in your 20 levels. not my cup of tea but its the only idea so far so its winning!

Psyren
2011-10-11, 11:06 PM
There's a preview here (http://watermark.rpgnow.com/pdf_previews/91622-sample.pdf)

Alchemist seems plenty playable to me personally. It may not have much in the way of spells but it at least has more to do in combat than attack.

Rentaromon
2011-10-11, 11:15 PM
There's a preview here (http://watermark.rpgnow.com/pdf_previews/91622-sample.pdf)

Alchemist seems plenty playable to me personally. It may not have much in the way of spells but it at least has more to do in combat than attack.

NEW PSIONICS!?!? i ****ing love psionics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for the alchemist thing i was just never able to do what i wanted with him when i tried, or it would take 8 more levels than i thought, maybe thats just me.

Psyren
2011-10-11, 11:34 PM
Yeah, Vitalist is pretty great. Imagine a party of adventurers storming Baator or a lich's sanctum; now imagine their healer sitting at home, mentally monitoring each of them and remotely restoring their HP and ability scores while he catches up on his favorite book. At high levels, Vitalists can do this and more.

Rentaromon
2011-10-12, 12:29 AM
Yeah, Vitalist is pretty great. Imagine a party of adventurers storming Baator or a lich's sanctum; now imagine their healer sitting at home, mentally monitoring each of them and remotely restoring their HP and ability scores while he catches up on his favorite book. At high levels, Vitalists can do this and more.

i looked up some of the new psionic stuff they are planning. a soulknife archer sounds awesome but i dont know what a whole psionic ranged class would do.

and that last new one, the aiges or whatever it was, well just the picture of a goblin in a big suit of energy looked freaking great. i want it whatever it is!!!!

DeMouse
2011-10-12, 12:38 AM
I played a churgion in a low level campaign and I found them plenty of fun.

The key is to use Alchmist fire and the like during the early levels before you unlock the really neat other stuff.

Psyren
2011-10-12, 08:07 AM
I played a churgion in a low level campaign and I found them plenty of fun.

The key is to use Alchmist fire and the like during the early levels before you unlock the really neat other stuff.

Are bombs the only route though? I'd love to try a Vivisectionist/healer.

(Though bombs would definitely be more useful in an undead-heavy campaign if I can toss Holy Water and Force Bombs everywhere...)

stack
2011-10-12, 09:02 AM
Life oracle. Made to heal. Getting a free domain is icing on the cake.

DeMouse
2011-10-12, 10:21 AM
Are bombs the only route though? I'd love to try a Vivisectionist/healer.

(Though bombs would definitely be more useful in an undead-heavy campaign if I can toss Holy Water and Force Bombs everywhere...)

Well of course you could do a vivisectionist and just play like a rogue but for me the bombs are the best part of alchemists.

Rentaromon
2011-10-12, 10:44 AM
the alchemist may be an ok class even if i dont like it but i dont know how effective of a healer it would be, in comparison to other casters.

any ideas for healing that has no daily limits? like i could heal by hole party up to max with like a 10 minute rest and be able to do that as many times as i want.

i have only been able 2 think of 1 idea that can do that, and thats only if im reading it correctly and im not 100% sure i am.

stack
2011-10-12, 10:59 AM
I don't know of any infinite healing tricks in PF that you could use to pull that off with, though there may be something abusable in the 3rd-party psionics, which I don't know well.

grarrrg
2011-10-12, 11:06 AM
any ideas for healing that has no daily limits? like i could heal by hole party up to max with like a 10 minute rest and be able to do that as many times as i want.

i have only been able 2 think of 1 idea that can do that, and thats only if im reading it correctly and im not 100% sure i am.

Is Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat) + Spark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spark) one of those methods by chance?

You can cast Orisons as much as you want, so just make sure to rest near some Grass or Twigs. Light one up, blow it out, light one up, blow it out....

Rentaromon
2011-10-12, 11:57 AM
Is Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat) + Spark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spark) one of those methods by chance?

You can cast Orisons as much as you want, so just make sure to rest near some Grass or Twigs. Light one up, blow it out, light one up, blow it out....

actually what i was thinking of was available at lvl 3. one of the abilities of the oracle of healing is the ability to create a link with a person and heal them 5 and deal 5 damage to himself. 2 levels in psion egotist allows you to cast some of the 1 costing spells for free and gain fast healing equal to the cost of the spell, so i either can heal 1hp a turn for free or the combo is ruined. it is a slow combo but works if the psion part works.

Psyren
2011-10-12, 01:57 PM
I don't know of any infinite healing tricks in PF that you could use to pull that off with, though there may be something abusable in the 3rd-party psionics, which I don't know well.

Infinite PP = infinite healing. PF wisely closed most of the holes, but porting in 3.5 material (Incarnum especially) can place pressure on the system.

stack
2011-10-12, 02:17 PM
Ah, forgot about glorious heat. I believe they plan on errata'ing that one, but its good for now.

Rentaromon
2011-10-12, 07:03 PM
any other ideas for interesting healers? i just want something fun to give them so they dont leave him behind like old oily(r.i.p.)

it dosent need to be super optimized but id like it to be at least effective.

Draz74
2011-10-12, 11:21 PM
Plain old Egoist is a decent healer in Pathfinder, after level 3 or so.

Arbane
2011-10-13, 01:48 AM

A Witch with the Heal Hex? You can only use it once per day on any one person, but you can use it on as many people as you can find. (And they get Cure spells.)

Larpus
2011-10-13, 09:18 AM
Wasn't there a thread some months back of someone who made an infinite healing loop using Wordcasting and traps?

I don't quite remember how it went, but essentially the magical trap word thing was poorly worded and by RAW was infinite (as in, it re-set itself once it was opened or something), so you'd couple that with a casting of the healing word and BAM! Once someone tried to open/force the trap, it got healed and the trap resets, also resetting the healing.

Not sure if the rules have been reworked to disallow that, and you'd need access to at least 2nd level divine spells IIRC.

Also, Wordcasting is weaker than normal magic.

navar100
2011-10-13, 09:25 AM
Oracle, Life Mystery

grarrrg
2011-10-13, 09:47 AM
Oracle, Life Mystery

Oh, we're sorry, ninja'd by 24 hours 22 minutes, better luck next time, as a consolation prize you get a version of our Home Game.

But yeah, Life Oracle can be a decent healer. Take the Channel revelation and whatever else strikes your fancy.

Eshi
2011-10-13, 10:45 AM
Alchemists can make excellent support characters, and by extension make good healers (buy a wand). They may suffer a bit at the very low levels, but by level 3 they can pass around infusions like shield/expeditious retreat/enlarge person or control the battlefield with precise + smoke bomb or tanglefoot bomb while doing decent damage. By level 4 they get alchemical allocation, allowing them to pass around CL 20 potion buffs to anyone in their party every single day, like Greater Magic Fang for your Monk or Magic Circle against Evil! They could also pass around Alter Self and Invisibility infusions or nauseate whole crowds with Stink Bomb. This is more than just half decent, IMO.

Rentaromon
2011-10-13, 01:09 PM
seems like alchemist and oracle are the most popular ideas. well i think ill make a alchemist to add to the party and make him a buffer and healer.

anyone wana throw an idea for a race and free cleric domain i should give him. maybe even a interesting back story?

Psyren
2011-10-13, 01:22 PM
It's an NPC, right? If so, race doesn't matter too much as it doesn't have to be super-effective. You could go with something typical like a gnome, human or elf, or play against type with a half-orc surgeon.

Your backstory will obviously tie in to the race you choose.

The domain you give him should depend on what the party's weaknesses are (if you care about that) or just whatever you feel like (if it doesn't really matter or if they have everything covered.)

navar100
2011-10-13, 09:29 PM
Oh, we're sorry, ninja'd by 24 hours 22 minutes, better luck next time, as a consolation prize you get a version of our Home Game.

But yeah, Life Oracle can be a decent healer. Take the Channel revelation and whatever else strikes your fancy.

Oracle, Life Mystery