PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Rogue, helping a friend

Zeikstraal
2011-10-12, 07:36 PM
A friend asked me today to help him with a Monk/Rogue Multiclass. I said OK, and I checked some things up. But I can not see how in the world this will be any good.
I already told him that from the beginning that it is not gonna work, especialy not with a cleric necromancer whos minions are gonna out damage you. But he saw it as a challenge...Anyway.

All the books I have are, PHB, DMG, MMs, and all Forgotten Realms, no splatbooks or anything, cause those are unbalanced. I asked him if his DM looked up an Incantatrix? He didn't know, but I guess probably not.

So I hope someone can point me in the right direction to build something or give me a complete build, also good.

Help please!!

Curious
2011-10-12, 07:39 PM
Regular Swordsage.

Wait, just saw the 'no splatbooks because unbalanced' thing.
Bwahahahahahahaaaaa!

Alright, um, just tell him to go straight rogue with Imp. Unarmed Strike? It'll be a heck of a lot better at unarmed combat than the monk is anyway.

hex0
2011-10-12, 07:45 PM
Does it have to use Rogue? Since you can use all FR, a Monk/Shou Disciple would probably be better.

Amoren
2011-10-12, 08:19 PM
Not even Complete Adventurer (or the complete series in general?). There's a feat from there that lets rogue and monk levels stack for determining unarmed strike. So Rogue 1/Monk 1/Rogue rest would be somewhat decent.

Zeikstraal
2011-10-12, 08:20 PM
Yes, you read it correctly. Great one isn't it XD.

he was thinking about going with Kama's or Kukri's. So isn't especialy going Monk for Unarmed Attacks.
I realy don't know why he does want this combination, even in Roleplay, I don't see the link with Monk and Rogue.

Forgot his scores: 16, 16, 16, 14, 13, 12. and he begins with level 6.

dgnslyr
2011-10-12, 08:28 PM
Maybe he's got a sneaky, stealthy ninja in mind? There's definitely some overlap between "sneaky, stabby guy" and "wise, eastern-ish guy" for a workable character concept. Execution on the other hand, would probably be better with a swordsage, which captures that kind of character pretty well, but that's not what we're after, so let's put it aside before the inevitable "use ToB" comments.

Still, it's funny you should say that splatbooks are broken and core is balanced, because core has druids and monks within the same covers.

Urpriest
2011-10-12, 08:39 PM
He probably is the sort who realizes that Rogues want more attacks and believes that Flurry is a good way to get them. (Probably also wants to TWF and Flurry at the same time). Shou Disciple can give Flurry to non-monks, right? Suggest he use that.

hex0
2011-10-12, 09:27 PM
He probably is the sort who realizes that Rogues want more attacks and believes that Flurry is a good way to get them. (Probably also wants to TWF and Flurry at the same time). Shou Disciple can give Flurry to non-monks, right? Suggest he use that.

Full bab flurry is quite nice.

KoboldCleric
2011-10-12, 11:37 PM
I am currently playing a Kobold Rogue 1/Monk 1 actually, and am having a wonderful time. It's a solid tier 5 game though (Barbarian 3, First time player/healbot Cleric 3, Rogue1/Paladin1, and myself); If the group is used to playing with tier 3 and above, you might want to avoid this route, especially without the Races of the Dragon web enhancement in play.