PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: ninja/shadowdancer, build advice.

Arienmir
2011-10-12, 08:10 PM
Hello all and help please :)

I have been invited to join and ongoing pathfinder campaign, at 11th level, the only caveat I have been given by the DM is I must apply some sort of undead template to the character.

Now I have been playing D&D in various guises for waaaay too long, but never pathfinder, so I am not up with the system changes other than in the vaguest sesnse. I was thinking of takimg ninja as a base class then pick up shadowdancer as a prestige, (does it even still exist), would this work, am I insane?

Advise would be very welcome and appreciated!

Thankyou in advance.

Curious
2011-10-12, 08:20 PM
Straight Ninja would be better. A one level dip in Shadow Dancer to pick up HiPS isn't too bad though.

hex0
2011-10-12, 09:29 PM
Straight Ninja would be better. A one level dip in Shadow Dancer to pick up HiPS isn't too bad though.

True.

Wghat template? Necropolitan?

Arienmir
2011-10-12, 10:28 PM
I am not sure which undead template, I have not been given a restriction, so I guess whatever I feel like, or works best. :smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-12, 11:32 PM
Maybe ghost (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/ghost)? It gives you a nice "Get out of Death Free card" with lots of role play potential. and ghost touch items work both ways.

Chained Birds
2011-10-13, 09:47 AM
Check the pfsrd if you haven't already. Ninjas gain some amazing abilities; my favorite being able to walk on a 1inch twig, water, and even lava without penalty. They also can shower an opponent in shuikens. PF prefer players to stay the course with whatever class they pick; but that doesn't mean you can't take a dip into assassin or shadow dancer, as they can both be nifty prestiges.

Drothmal
2011-10-13, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure what you meant by template, but maybe you can check Dhampirs as an alternate race (sort of half-vampires, no racial adjustment)

Ravens_cry
2011-10-13, 01:56 PM
Healing by negative energy can be nice if you are a cleric or can get lots of wands, but can be awkward otherwise.

subject42
2011-10-13, 02:05 PM
Now I have been playing D&D in various guises for waaaay too long, but never pathfinder, so I am not up with the system changes other than in the vaguest sesnse. I was thinking of takimg ninja as a base class then pick up shadowdancer as a prestige, (does it even still exist), would this work, am I insane?

You could probably make this work, but Pathfinder packs base classes with so many scaling class features that dipping into almost any PrC is a losing proposition.

Additionally, many of the shadowdancer class features can be emulated with Rogue Talents or Ninja tricks (each class can access the other's list). The ones that can't are limited enough in their uses per day that the opportunity cost is a real tough sell.

Arienmir
2011-10-17, 02:53 PM
Thank you all, I have ended up with a Half-elven ghost ninja... and the first session was a lot of fun. :)