PDA

View Full Version : Abusing Warforged Immunities

The Overlord
2011-10-12, 10:18 PM
Such has immunity to Fatigue & Exhaustion; I get tireless Rage on the first level for that.

But I was wondering; What else can take advantage from that immunity ?

hex0
2011-10-12, 10:22 PM
Craft stuff (debatable), profession (also debatable), actually take the Run feat and run everywhere, stay up late and stare at the fire all night. all. night.

I dont know many other things off the top of my head...

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-12, 10:36 PM
Don't foget covering your body in feces and high DC, contact, con damage poison. Give somebody your "special hug." Prep spells in a bag of holding while the rest of the party continues moving. There was a whole thread about an all Warforged party. Go there and you'll get plenty of ideas.

Flickerdart
2011-10-12, 10:40 PM
Yep, the party of Warforged Warlock, Factotum, Binder and Crusader can fight 24/7, because their abilities are at-will or refresh every encounter, and they don't ever get tired. IIRC they can get from 1 to 20 in something like a month of in-game time.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-12, 10:44 PM
Yep, the party of Warforged Warlock, Factotum, Binder and Crusader can fight 24/7, because their abilities are at-will or refresh every encounter, and they don't ever get tired. IIRC they can get from 1 to 20 in something like a month of in-game time.

Throw in a Cleric, and all you'll have is 1 hour of downtime while the rest keeps moving forward. Of course, cure x won't be terrible efficient. But thats why you use Lesser Vigor wands.

Kaje
2011-10-12, 10:52 PM
One level of binder, some spellcasting, and one level of spelldancer = free persisted spells.

DarkestKnight
2011-10-12, 10:53 PM
there resides in my heart a little spot for the warforged bard, and his lyre of building. oh the pay checks earned from everyone...

Keld Denar
2011-10-12, 11:00 PM
Run willy nilly through Stinking Clouds, Cloud Kills, and other noxious effects.

Stone Heart
2011-10-12, 11:08 PM
The only thing I ever really abused was crafting with it, but I only played one once. Oh, and I suppose I was not in nearly as much danger of drowning when the whole party got dropped into a giant pool in our armor. So I guess deep sea salvage works pretty well.

Flickerdart
2011-10-12, 11:53 PM
Throw in a Cleric, and all you'll have is 1 hour of downtime while the rest keeps moving forward. Of course, cure x won't be terrible efficient. But thats why you use Lesser Vigor wands.
Are you kidding? In a whole hour the other party could be 100 encounters ahead.

The Overlord
2011-10-12, 11:54 PM
Is it Me or do You need to put a +3 armor enchancement on the composite plating for it to count? (Has in; +2 or less only overlaps)

The description in the MM3 let's Me think that it is the case.

tyckspoon
2011-10-12, 11:58 PM
Is it Me or do You need to put a +3 armor enchancement on the composite plating for it to count? (Has in; +2 or less only overlaps)

The description in the MM3 let's Me think that it is the case.

It's just armor, not an armor enhancement; works exactly the same way as adding enhancements to, say, Leather Armor.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 12:11 AM

Please explain your math, cause I don't see it.

Also, what kind of DM has the time or patience to run 100 encounters in 1 in-game hour?

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 12:18 AM
Please explain your math, cause I don't see it.

Also, what kind of DM has the time or patience to run 100 encounters in 1 in-game hour?
1 hour = 60 minutes = 600 rounds. Most encounters don't last 6 rounds, so it's really more like 200.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 12:20 AM
1 hour = 60 minutes = 600 rounds. Most encounters don't last 6 rounds, so it's really more like 200.

Ok, so encounter, encounter long break, encounter, encounter long break etc. You have 6 rounds to heal and recover. I know this is 3.5 and when an "encounter" starts and ends is dependent on the DM but your your running a guantlet with encounters bunched that close together, the Cleric would never stop to replenish spells. It be more effective as a mundane character. At least he can spam Lesser Vigor wands to keep them healed.

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 12:25 AM
Ok, so encounter, encounter long break, encounter, encounter long break etc. You have 6 rounds to heal and recover. I know this is 3.5 and when an "encounter" starts and ends is dependent on the DM but your your running a guantlet with encounters bunched that close together, the Cleric would never stop to replenish spells. It be more effective as a mundane character. At least he can spam Lesser Vigor wands to keep them healed.
That's exactly why the original team was composed of the members it was composed of, yes. The point is to level up as fast as possible, and they can't do that when the Cleric is dawdling around wasting time.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 12:32 AM
That's exactly why the original team was composed of the members it was composed of, yes. The point is to level up as fast as possible, and they can't do that when the Cleric is dawdling around wasting time.

Except with no downtime or anyone who can reliably heal them, you'd run out of HP before the first hour. Yes, Crusader can heal. But he can't heal reliably. What if you fight neutral things for 2 encounters straight? You'll be plum out of luck.

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 12:40 AM
Except with no downtime or anyone who can reliably heal them, you'd run out of HP before the first hour. Yes, Crusader can heal. But he can't heal reliably. What if you fight neutral things for 2 encounters straight? You'll be plum out of luck.
Crusaders can whack a fellow party member in a pinch. Factotums and Warlocks have UMD, and Warlocks also have some build-in fast healing. Binders are capable of healing. This is not a thing which is a problem.

tyckspoon
2011-10-13, 12:43 AM

The Crusader maneuvers only require that one aspect of alignment be different; it doesn't have to be opposite. An LG Crusader can heal off of any non-Lawful or non-Good opponent. And that's without abusing Martial Spirit's wording that lets you, RAW, activate it by beating up a literal punching bag- carry around a leather ball or similar and smack it around when you need healing. And the Binder can do downtime healing when he gets high enough level to bind Buer, so 5th with the Improved Binding feat.

Diefje
2011-10-13, 12:59 AM
You're a better horse than an actual horse. You can go longer and faster during a day. Enslave a bunch of em, paint em yellow, and set up your cab company.

Telok
2011-10-13, 04:26 AM
Arcane Consumption, PH2 p.74

You still take the Con penalty though. It works better with Necropolitan.

Doorhandle
2011-10-13, 04:53 AM

Were are you going to FIND 100 encounters?

panaikhan
2011-10-13, 07:25 AM
I like some of the other Warforged immunities.
Merciful Vicious Battlefist, anyone?
Or, if you're all Juggernauts: Brilliant Energy Grenade.

hewhosaysfish
2011-10-13, 07:45 AM
Don't foget covering your body in feces and high DC, contact, con damage poison. Give somebody your "special hug."

You don't expect some adverse NPC reactions to your s***-bot character concept?

Eldan
2011-10-13, 07:50 AM
You don't expect some adverse NPC reactions to your s***-bot character concept?

Charisma penalty :smalltongue:

SaintRidley
2011-10-13, 08:32 AM
Who needs swim when doing underwater adventuring?

Just jump into the ocean and take on the Aboleths on their own territory.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 08:48 AM
The Crusader maneuvers only require that one aspect of alignment be different; it doesn't have to be opposite. An LG Crusader can heal off of any non-Lawful or non-Good opponent. And that's without abusing Martial Spirit's wording that lets you, RAW, activate it by beating up a literal punching bag- carry around a leather ball or similar and smack it around when you need healing. And the Binder can do downtime healing when he gets high enough level to bind Buer, so 5th with the Improved Binding feat.

Crusaders can whack a fellow party member in a pinch. Factotums and Warlocks have UMD, and Warlocks also have some build-in fast healing. Binders are capable of healing. This is not a thing which is a problem.

The manuevers that heal require A) an enemy of opposing alignment (which is why that Crusaders are very rarily True Neutral and 2) something that poses an immidiate threat to you or your allies. True Neutral will never be able to activate them nor teammates that will be staying teammates.

And how do these classes live long enough to get their high level healing when you don't have a reliable source early? How do you do down time healing when it is, at best, 1 min?

Turion
2011-10-13, 09:52 AM
The manuevers that heal require A) an enemy of opposing alignment (which is why that Crusaders are very rarily True Neutral and 2) something that poses an immidiate threat to you or your allies. True Neutral will never be able to activate them nor teammates that will be staying teammates.

And how do these classes live long enough to get their high level healing when you don't have a reliable source early? How do you do down time healing when it is, at best, 1 min?

As part of initiating this strike, you must make a successful melee attack against an enemy whose alignment has at least one component different from yours. This foe must pose a threat to you or your allies in some direct, immediate way.

While you are in this stance, you or an ally within 30 feet heals 2 points of damage each time you make a successful melee attack.

Additionally, the Aura of Triumph stance allows you to heal every time you hit an evil-aligned creature.

All the other healing strikes have language similar to Crusader's Strike. TN Crusaders can heal by beating up anything except other TN characters. Technically, they could use down-time to whale on a training-dummy with Martial Spirit active. That is, at least, somewhat reliable, if not terribly efficient.

tyckspoon
2011-10-13, 09:57 AM

A: I must suggest you check against your book, as this is the text of Crusader's Strike that is repeated in all the other healing Strikes:

As part of initiating this strike, you
must make a successful melee attack
against an enemy whose alignment has
at least one component different from
yours

So. LG Crusader? Hit a Chaotic, Neutral, Evil, or other-axis-Neutral foe. True Neutral? Anything that is at all non-neutral. Just different, not opposed; heck, you can have a CG Crusader beat up on an LG Paladin (although if they're in the same party the 'must pose a threat' clause probably applies.)

And B: The Martial Spirit stance does not have those restrictions, and merely requires a 'successful melee attack'. Smack your party members with non-lethal unarmed strikes; you'll heal 2 hp a hit and remove the non-lethal part of it in the process. Or just beat up the dungeon walls as you walk by.

Edit: Oh, and for what it's worth a Crusader with Adamantine Body is dang near immune to most low-level opponents (spells and energy attacks not being very common when your standard encounter is "four kobolds, two with bows and two with spears") and should be able to afford to pass out his healing to other party members when needed.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 11:18 AM
Ok, I concede the alingment bit, but you'd still to hit a threatening target. And as soon as you try to abuse Martial Spirit, any sane DM will make it work like the strikes, alignment and threat neccesary. Just like any sane DM will let Crusaders delay their stances known by 1 level so they can actually access new stances that way.

The Overlord
2011-10-13, 11:37 AM
(There seem to have been a bug & my post didn't show.)

Reading the rules, a Warforged's body count has a set of armor for every modification purposes. Thus, You could make it an Armor of Legacy, no?

If so, You could choose the power that makes it an Intelligent Item too.
Let's not forget that a Warforged's body is indeed animated.
Thus, Said character get to play on His initiative AND it's body moves by itself on it's own initiative.

Thus two turns per round.

Is this legal ? Haven't found a thing that said otherwise.
Does it makes sense to replace the Warforged's mental stats with the Body's higher mental stats? The two are in constant telepathic communication after all.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 11:41 AM
(There seem to have been a bug & my post didn't show.)

Reading the rules, a Warforged's body count has a set of armor for every modification purposes. Thus, You could make it an Armor of Legacy, no?

If so, You could choose the power that makes it an Intelligent Item too.
Let's not forget that a Warforged's body is indeed animated.
Thus, Said character get to play on His initiative AND it's body moves by itself on it's own initiative.

Thus two turns per round.

Is this legal ? Haven't found a thing that said otherwise.
Does it makes sense to replace the Warforged's mental stats with the Body's higher mental stats? The two are in constant telepathic communication after all.

Screw giving the Warforged the higher mental stats, make him a Cleric, use the body's iniative to kick but and the mind's iniative to cast.

Curious
2011-10-13, 11:53 AM
Troll-blooded Warforged Juggernaut?

Slipperychicken
2011-10-13, 12:47 PM
Don't forget to take the 'insomnia' flaw (fort save or be fatigued/exhausted the next day). Run. Run everywhere. Not only are you saving ~9 hours/day from not sleeping, you also get a feat and divide your travel time by 3 or 4. Be a barbarian, rage with impunity.

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 01:10 PM
Goblin war camp. Hobgoblin war camp. Giant war camp. Demon war camp. Gladiatorial arena. The plains of Gehenna. Really, there's no shortage of things to kill if you're determined about it.

AugustNights
2011-10-13, 01:59 PM
Really, there's no shortage of things to kill if you're determined about it.

Why do I love this quote so much?

Back to the OP.
I played a Wizard Warforged on one occasion that believed itself to be a human, and believed it had a drinking problem. It would fund its drinking habits through drinking contests. Convincing others to join in the contests was the tricky part, but the party rogue would usually help with that.

MikolasTheAngry
2011-10-13, 02:11 PM
The only thing I ever really abused was crafting with it, but I only played one once. Oh, and I suppose I was not in nearly as much danger of drowning when the whole party got dropped into a giant pool in our armor. So I guess deep sea salvage works pretty well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13972626/swim%20checks.jpg

navar100
2011-10-13, 02:35 PM

It doesn't matter if the Crusader is fighting neutral creatures. It only matters his opponent is an immediate threat and not the same alignment.

Zaq
2011-10-13, 02:37 PM
Also, Crusaders can't be TN. Check out ToB pg. 8. There IS an Alignment section, and it DOES have a restriction.

Winds
2011-10-13, 03:00 PM
Coating yourself in contact poison is good. However, there is another step. Most 'poison-using classes' exist because they had to learn how not to poison themselves, too. You don't need to worry about that, so poison everything that others aren't supposed to touch.

The hilt of your ancestral weapon, for example. Or your (whatever) tools. Your spellbook. Go nuts! (Actually, if you're poisoning that much stuff, you likely have.) Take a leaf from Terry Prachett: Take a profession where you work with poisons all the time, and let it coat you. Hit me with a natural attack, I dare you!

The Overlord
2011-10-13, 03:15 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13972626/swim%20checks.jpg

Awesome image pal, finish it!

But back to Topic; If the intelligent item is also an animated item; can it move on it's own?
Because if that's the case it means the Warforged's Body will fight on it's own during it's own initiative. Despite the Warforged itself having fought during that round!

Is there any way to make a poison of our choice secrete continuously from a weapon? Otherwise paying the poison cost every-time I'm in-between fights will be quite costly.

Grendus
2011-10-13, 03:18 PM
Drowning is a classic one near water. Grapple an enemy meatbag who needs to breathe and drag him under the water. A few dozen rounds of successful grapple checks and you can let him float back up to the top for looting. Not recommended in seafaring campaigns though, the ocean is... kinda deep.

maximus25
2011-10-13, 03:20 PM
Awesome image pal, finish it!

But back to Topic; If the intelligent item is also an animated item; can it move on it's own?
Because if that's the case it means the Warforged's Body will fight on it's own during it's own initiative. Despite the Warforged itself having fought during that round!

Is there any way to make a poison of our choice secrete continuously from a weapon? Otherwise paying the poison cost every-time I'm in-between fights will be quite costly.

Have a trap of poison installed into somewhere on your body. Every time you take a step, you unhitch something or activate it and it secretes poison on your body.

Keld Denar
2011-10-13, 03:26 PM
Resetting trap of Psionic Minor Creation? Only works with plant based organic poisions, but there's no shortage of those...

Gorfang113
2011-10-13, 03:46 PM
Don't foget covering your body in feces and high DC, contact, con damage poison. Give somebody your "special hug." Prep spells in a bag of holding while the rest of the party continues moving. There was a whole thread about an all Warforged party. Go there and you'll get plenty of ideas.

You mean this one? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213438) :smallbiggrin:

Drowning is a classic one near water. Grapple an enemy meatbag who needs to breathe and drag him under the water. A few dozen rounds of successful grapple checks and you can let him float back up to the top for looting. Not recommended in seafaring campaigns though, the ocean is... kinda deep.

And to make it even better, replace the water with acid. Now give the Warforged the blueshine enchantment, which makes his armor immune to acid. He is his armor, thus he is immune to acid. So now we have acid coated warforged trying to drag you down to melt/drown in acid.

Infernalbargain
2011-10-13, 04:27 PM

Why the nearby patch of tall grass.

Elboxo
2011-10-13, 05:48 PM

"spells from the healing subschool and supernatural
abilities that cure hit point damage or ability
damage provide only half their normal effects to
a warforged." - Races of Eberron

"VIGOR, LESSER
Conjuration (Healing)" - Spell Compendium

Lesser Vigor wands heal warforged 5 hp per shot.

I'd also be sceptical about Warlock's healing ( It may be Supernatural, but i'm not sure.) As with Crusaders + Binders. But I guess they can go all day so they can spam healing as much as they need

hex0
2011-10-13, 06:09 PM
It doesn't matter if the Crusader is fighting neutral creatures. It only matters his opponent is an immediate threat and not the same alignment.

Then have a Frenzied Berserkier in your party of opposite alignment. There is your threat!

jindra34
2011-10-13, 06:15 PM
"spells from the healing subschool and supernatural
abilities that cure hit point damage or ability
damage provide only half their normal effects to
a warforged." - Races of Eberron

"VIGOR, LESSER
Conjuration (Healing)" - Spell Compendium

Lesser Vigor wands heal warforged 5 hp per shot.

I'd also be sceptical about Warlock's healing ( It may be Supernatural, but i'm not sure.) As with Crusaders + Binders. But I guess they can go all day so they can spam healing as much as they need
Does granting fast healing count as healing hitpoints?

Alleine
2011-10-13, 06:30 PM
Does granting fast healing count as healing hitpoints?

If it's a supernatural ability like the warlock's Fiendish Resilience, then yeah. I don't see how you'd justify halving things like Lesser Vigor or Fiendish Resilience(at least until the amount goes up). You could halve the result, but that implies halving it at each step, thus healing half a hit point each round for Warlocks, Lesser Vigor Recipients, and Binders. And I'm pretty sure D&D numbers are never fractions, meaning you halve it, then it round itself back up to 1, and the end result is the same as for any non-warforged.

Grendus
2011-10-13, 06:43 PM
And to make it even better, replace the water with acid. Now give the Warforged the blueshine enchantment, which makes his armor immune to acid. He is his armor, thus he is immune to acid. So now we have acid coated warforged trying to drag you down to melt/drown in acid.

You also just sludged all his equipment. Probably not an even trade.

Now abusing their immunity to Energy Drain... Warforged UPS Man Wizard who drops the negative level fog on himself? Warforged vampire hit squad? Using Warforged to clean up a wightocalypse? Warforged investigator disguised as a human infiltrating a succubus run brothel?

Hey, that solves a major quandary in the homebrew setting I'm working on. Sweet.

sreservoir
2011-10-13, 06:50 PM
If it's a supernatural ability like the warlock's Fiendish Resilience, then yeah. I don't see how you'd justify halving things like Lesser Vigor or Fiendish Resilience(at least until the amount goes up). You could halve the result, but that implies halving it at each step, thus healing half a hit point each round for Warlocks, Lesser Vigor Recipients, and Binders. And I'm pretty sure D&D numbers are never fractions, meaning you halve it, then it round itself back up to 1, and the end result is the same as for any non-warforged.

down, actually.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 06:57 PM
Lesser Vigor and it's upgrades give fast healing. They don't heal, they give a special quality for its duration. It by passes the clause becaues it doesn't directly heal.

Alleine
2011-10-13, 06:59 PM
down, actually.

oh... that makes Lesser Vigor and the Warlock's healing useless then, at least until higher levels. Not that they were much good to begin with. So we just do the Repair line for healing, and Binders healing touch is halved. I think Crusaders are still perfectly fine.

Out of curiosity do you have reference for that?

EDIT: @ ^^ Wow, I really need to pay more attention to spell descriptions.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 07:02 PM
oh... that makes Lesser Vigor and the Warlock's healing useless then. Not that they were much good to begin with. So we just do the Repair line for healing, and Binders healing touch is halved. I think Crusaders are still perfectly fine.

Out of curiosity do you have reference for that?

Its a general rule that fractions round down, even if its 0.999999. But Fast Healing by passes this. Its a special qaulity regardless of where you get it from.

Alleine
2011-10-13, 07:05 PM
Its a general rule that fractions round down, even if its 0.999999. But Fast Healing by passes this. Its a special qaulity regardless of where you get it from.

Well yes, but I'd still like to know where the rule is found for future reference.

It makes sense that Vigor would bypass this, but the Warlock and Binder would still be in trouble because the warforged healing impairment applies specifically to Su effects, which both Warlock and Binder fast healing are.

Slipperychicken
2011-10-13, 07:05 PM
Why restrict yourself to poison? Use Aboleth Mucus, watch your enemy suffocate to death.

EDIT: I can't believe I just suggested that.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 07:08 PM
Well yes, but I'd still like to know where the rule is found for future reference.

It makes sense that Vigor would bypass this, but the Warlock and Binder would still be in trouble because the warforged healing impairment applies specifically to Su effects, which both Warlock and Binder fast healing are.

I don't think its every written out specifically, but look at anything that could or does produce fractions will say "(rounded down)" Try looking in the DMG or PH where it talks about custom classes. It might be there.

tyckspoon
2011-10-13, 07:13 PM
I don't think its every written out specifically, but look at anything that could or does produce fractions will say "(rounded down)" Try looking in the DMG or PH where it talks about custom classes. It might be there.

Rounding Fractions

In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger.

Exception: Certain rolls, such as damage and hit points, have a minimum of 1.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm

Warlock and Binder would still be in trouble

Warlock is Fast Healing as well. Buer's passive self-heal is also Fast Healing; Buer active use would be reduced, but that's more than 1 point anyway so it still does something.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 07:16 PM
Rounding Fractions

In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger.

Exception: Certain rolls, such as damage and hit points, have a minimum of 1.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm

Warlock is Fast Healing as well. Buer's passive self-heal is also Fast Healing; Buer active use would be reduced, but that's more than 1 point anyway so it still does something.

Well if its Fast Healing (Su) it be an issue. The Vigor line gives Fast Healing without giving it a tag. By default, Fast Healing is (Ex) so Warforged don't get a gimped usage from it.

maximus25
2011-10-13, 07:54 PM
Or just make craft checks to fix each other.

I recently did this in my friday game, the only craft I had was craft (Gentlemanly atire) and my DM is the best person ever, so I turned our party warforged into Mark Twain.

Now we are going to fund my friends church of the cyst (Dread Necromancer :smallbiggrin: ) by having historical figure fights. Who cares what the old story line was supposed to be, this is it now!

The Overlord
2011-10-13, 09:58 PM
Why are You guys even arguing about healing spells?

Just cast the equivalent repair spell instead !

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 09:59 PM
Why are You guys even arguing about healing spells?

Just cast the equivalent repair spell instead !

Arcane Spell Chance Failure.

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 10:05 PM
Arcane Spell Chance Failure.
UMD doesn't have ASF.

The Overlord
2011-10-13, 10:09 PM
Indeed and a wand has much more charges then a caster have spell per day.

I still don't know if the previous idea about making the Body an intelligent item is legal tough ....

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 10:18 PM
UMD doesn't have ASF.

I still don't know if the previous idea about making the Body an intelligent item is legal tough ....

UMD, even wands only, is not full proof, has a chance of failure till high levels. And almost completly unreliable at low levels. Pumping UMD to its fullest would be, at 1st level, 4 (Cha)+4 (ranks)+ 3 (Skill Focus) + 2 (Magical Aptitude)=+15. That requires max Charisma, ranks and 2 mostly useless feats and at least 1 flaw. Maximum effort for 75% success rate. UMD is not practical till higher levels where a +19 is easy to hit.

flabort
2011-10-13, 10:18 PM

Nyeh. I recall a thread about giving an intelligent item class levels. Hows that for rules questionable :smallwink:?

Compared to a sword with Crusader levels, a Warforged with Intelligent Armor isn't too abusable.

Now, what's abusable, is giving a warforged intelligent armor, then giving the armor class levels. Crusader wearing a Crusader, who can control the first? :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 10:33 PM
UMD, even wands only, is not full proof, has a chance of failure till high levels. And almost completly unreliable at low levels. Pumping UMD to its fullest would be, at 1st level, 4 (Cha)+4 (ranks)+ 3 (Skill Focus) + 2 (Magical Aptitude)=+15. That requires max Charisma, ranks and 2 mostly useless feats and at least 1 flaw. Maximum effort for 75% success rate. UMD is not practical till higher levels where a +19 is easy to hit.
So you try again, big deal. It's only a natural 1 and a failure that makes the item unusable by you for 24 hours. Fortunately, there's a second guy with UMD right over there willing to give it a go.

Diefje
2011-10-13, 10:36 PM
Nyeh. I recall a thread about giving an intelligent item class levels. Hows that for rules questionable :smallwink:?

Compared to a sword with Crusader levels, a Warforged with Intelligent Armor isn't too abusable.

Now, what's abusable, is giving a warforged intelligent armor, then giving the armor class levels. Crusader wearing a Crusader, who can control the first? :smalltongue:
Make that a bear shaped warforged crusader crusader, with a couple of bearshaped intelligent crusader swords, on an awakened bear mount crusader

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 10:37 PM
So you try again, big deal. It's only a natural 1 and a failure that makes the item unusable by you for 24 hours. Fortunately, there's a second guy with UMD right over there willing to give it a go.

I guess I don't like risking my precious wealth by level on (many) d20 roll(s).

panaikhan
2011-10-14, 07:45 AM
I know my DM would take umbrage at the twin actions thing with sentient armour. He'd rule 'one physical, one mental' action (he's done it before). Doesn't stop still & silent spellcasting or certain psyonics tho.

If you don't like the idea of a Warforged's armour being sentient, just strap something sentient to it.
I had a 'weapon familiar' tail for my artificer/juggernaut. It got it's own initiative, it's own attacks, and gave me the equivalent of 360-degree (dark)vision.

Coidzor
2011-10-14, 01:54 PM
I guess I don't like risking my precious wealth by level on (many) d20 roll(s).

Good thing you're not unless you're playing with "My DM has an inappropriate lust for fumbles" house rules.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 01:55 PM
Swim checks? I'll just sink to the bottom and walk/climb out. There's one skill I never have to put ranks into.:smallwink:

marcielle
2011-10-14, 02:24 PM
In seafaring campaign a wand of bouyancy turns you into THAT DAMN CRAB. Bullrush an airbreather off side of ship, grapple, wait, activate wand.

Cant remember if buoyancy was arcane or psionic, though.

Infernalbargain
2011-10-14, 03:39 PM

But but but .9999... = 1

Worira
2011-10-14, 03:47 PM
Sure, but 0.999999 isn't. It's 0.999999.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-14, 06:58 PM
Good thing you're not unless you're playing with "My DM has an inappropriate lust for fumbles" house rules.

Welcome to my world :smallsigh:

Thiyr
2011-10-15, 05:48 AM
In seafaring campaign a wand of bouyancy turns you into THAT DAMN CRAB. Bullrush an airbreather off side of ship, grapple, wait, activate wand.

Cant remember if buoyancy was arcane or psionic, though.

I far prefer putting the warforged in a crab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213358). Far more amusing.

...Also, warforged space exploration.

Make that a bear shaped warforged crusader crusader, with a couple of bearshaped intelligent crusader swords, on an awakened bear mount crusader

-dusts off meme- Yo dawg, I heard you like Beast Wars.

Coidzor
2011-10-15, 12:14 PM
Welcome to my world :smallsigh:

Ah, in that case, allow me to refer you to my signature, my good sir. :smallfrown:

flabort
2011-10-15, 01:38 PM
Oh, so THAT'S why that damn crab is only CR 3. Fights Against All Warforged Parties (FAAWP). I assume FAAWPs have drastically reduced the CRs of many popular monsters, and unbalanced many encounters that would be totally balanced otherwise. :smallamused:

I'm going to start all conversations on the balance of any particular monster with "But in a FAAWP, they..." now.

faceroll
2011-10-15, 05:13 PM

For in combat. Out of combat, it's a flat 5% chance you roll a one. Just go with 4 ranks and a non-negative charisma modifier and you're fine for out of combat healing.

Will definitely reduce the rate at which you can fight encounters, but in a normal campaign, it's fine. Carry two wands of cure or heal or vigor or repair or whatever's popular, and you've got a 1 in 400 chance of not being able to use both of them.

Coidzor
2011-10-15, 06:28 PM
Oh, so THAT'S why that damn crab is only CR 3. Fights Against All Warforged Parties (FAAWP). I assume FAAWPs have drastically reduced the CRs of many popular monsters, and unbalanced many encounters that would be totally balanced otherwise. :smallamused:

I'm going to start all conversations on the balance of any particular monster with "But in a FAAWP, they..." now.

Rust Monster. Ordinarily would never kill any party members. but in a FAAWP that can't afford Blueshine yet...