PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Chopping (Pathfinder)

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-10-13, 01:18 AM
What if...

2 rogues, with the paired opportunists & outflank teamwork feats, as well as combat reflexes.
Outflank - if ally scores a critical hit, you receive an a/o/o on flanked foe.
Paired Opp - Whenever ally receives a/o/o, you are entitled to one as well.

So, what if:
Rogue1 criticals on his first attack in the first round.
Provokes an a/o/o for both Rogue1 and Rogue2.
Either Rogue 1 or Rogue 2 criticals on his a/o/o
Provokes an a/o/o for both Rogue1 and Rogue2 again...

If both rogues have a 15-20 crit focused range, there is a decent chance of this triggering more than once. Can anyone see anything wrong with this?
Just want to double check it before I apply it in game.

agentnone
2011-10-13, 01:29 AM
Yes, it could cause a problem. However, characters are still limited by the amount of AoO's they can do in a round. And even then, the characters don't have to take them (though I don't know why they wouldn't). So unless they have Combat Reflexes they would only be able to make 1 AoO against that opponent, regardless of how many effects can trigger them. And even then with Combat Reflexes, they can only make a total up to their Dex modifier. Besides, there are a few monsters out there in PF still that are immune to Critical Hits. Or with the Fortification armor effect. So it's possible that these wouldn't even work against those kind of opponents. Not to mention the fact that the rogues are now occupied by a single target. Plus, it would be a waste of time on both their parts since the rogues would get sneak attacks and probably dice the target up in one or two attacks anyway. But, there's plenty of things to counteract this: a flying/hovering monster outside of their melee reach, a few grapple-hungry monks, a few disarm attacks, etc...

But in the end I don't see anything wrong with it, so long as they aren't taking more AoO's than they're normally allowed.

stack
2011-10-13, 07:28 AM
Note - combat reflexes does not grant up to dex mod AOO's in PF, it gives a flat increase per times you take the feat.

Did they just change this? It used to be +2 AOO's a round per times the feat is taken, but its back to dex mod AOO's. Also paired opportunist is explicitly capped. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-reflexes-combat)

Larpus
2011-10-13, 09:06 AM
Note - combat reflexes does not grant up to dex mod AOO's in PF, it gives a flat increase per times you take the feat.

Did they just change this? It used to be +2 AOO's a round per times the feat is taken, but its back to dex mod AOO's. Also paired opportunist is explicitly capped. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-reflexes-combat)
Opportunist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-advanced-talents/opportunist-ex) =/= Paired Opportunist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/paired-opportunists-combat-teamwork)

Anyway, I'd allow it, you're both burning 3 feats and then some to get 15-20 crit range and get to maneuver and position yourselves nicely in battle just for that trick (for instance, a large creature can seriously mess you guys up before you're both positioned).

Sure, it's a very good trick as once it works, the target is pretty much dead, but it's not that hard to nullify (aforementioned large enemy, terrain, mobile enemy, too many enemies, etc) and it'll still only work 1 out of 4 tries.

And if my players pull this one on me, there's nothing stopping me from pulling this one on them and, oh, will you look at that? I'm the DM, I can easily get a party of 4 Rogues built and equipped just for that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and by RAW, only the first crit needs to land, as Paired Opportunist will create a loop that only ends when the target is dead or you're out of AoO for that round. Also consider using with trip or similar.

Chained Birds
2011-10-13, 09:12 AM
Then take Butterfly Sting (I think that's whats it called) and 1 rogue can transfer his crit to the rogue with the x4-x5 weapon.
???
PROFIT!

AugustNights
2011-10-13, 09:59 AM
And even then with Combat Reflexes, they can only make a total up to their Dex modifier.

Combat Reflexes[General]
Benefit
You may make a number of additional atacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus.

Up to their Dexterity bonus +1.
Why someone would take the feat with a negative modifier is beyond me.
Edit: Actually, I suppose there must be some things that require the feat as a prerequisite, or some nonsense like that.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-13, 01:08 PM
Then take Butterfly Sting (I think that's whats it called) and 1 rogue can transfer his crit to the rogue with the x4-x5 weapon.
???
PROFIT!
That's what you take when you have a meat shield ablative armour flanking buddy with high strength and a high crit multiplier weapon.
Twin keen kukri two weapon fighting and go to town.

Infernalbargain
2011-10-13, 04:31 PM
Up to their Dexterity bonus +1.
Why someone would take the feat with a negative modifier is beyond me.
Edit: Actually, I suppose there must be some things that require the feat as a prerequisite, or some nonsense like that.

Doesn't it require dex 13?