PDA

View Full Version : Hammer of Righteousness questions

gooddragon1
2011-10-13, 03:44 AM
Can an undead wizard with a neutral good alignment cast hammer of righteousness without taking the strength damage (undead have immunity to damage against their physical ability scores).

If the purify spell metamagic feat was applied to a hammer of righteousness would it deal 2d6 damage per level to evil targets?

Alleran
2011-10-13, 04:02 AM
Can an undead wizard with a neutral good alignment cast hammer of righteousness without taking the strength damage (undead have immunity to damage against their physical ability scores).
AFB, but I don't see why not. If you're immune to it, you're immune to it.

gooddragon1
2011-10-13, 04:04 AM
It says it's a sacrifice component. In the rules it doesn't really specify what happens if you are immune to the sacrifice component but the idea of skimping on the sacrifice makes me wonder...

Medic!
2011-10-13, 04:23 AM
If it was my call to make I'd probably require something to fill the sacrifice gap, in this case most likely a potion of bull strength. Strictly RAW if you don't have the components you can't cast the spell imo.

gooddragon1
2011-10-13, 04:47 AM
If it was my call to make I'd probably require something to fill the sacrifice gap, in this case most likely a potion of bull strength. Strictly RAW if you don't have the components you can't cast the spell imo.

Oh my character certainly has a strength score (8), but he just happens to be immune to physical ability damage. Personally, I'd say since blasting is very suboptimal and he doesn't get a con modifier that he would be exempt from the sacrifice cost. Further, I would say that immunity to the damage constitutes the ability to sacrifice an infinite amount in this case (though stigmata won't work since undead have no constitution score).

agentnone
2011-10-13, 05:03 AM
Oh I certainly have a strength score (8), but I just happen to be immune to physical ability damage. Personally, I'd say since blasting is very suboptimal and I don't get a con modifier that I would be exempt from the sacrifice cost. Further, I would say that immunity to the damage constitutes the ability to sacrifice an infinite amount in this case (though stigmata won't work since undead have no constitution score).

Technically, the sacrifice don't happen at all if you're immune to the sacrificed damage/drain. And as Medic stated, if you can't sacrifice the strength, then you can't meet the components for the spell and are therefore unable to cast it. I would rule that a different stat take a drain. Like Charisma. Overall, it's up to the individual DM running the game you use the spell in. I personally, am not familiar with the spell, but in RAW if you cannot meet the component requirements then you can't cast the spell. I would say to discuss this with your DM to have some workaround. Obviously the strength drain is an inhibitor to for some reason to keep the spell from being used all over the place whenever the player wants. Without this inhibitor, it defeats the purpose of having the requirement and may imbalance the spell/game (and remember, I don't know anything about the spell so that may be slightly off).

gooddragon1
2011-10-13, 05:14 AM
Technically, the sacrifice don't happen at all if you're immune to the sacrificed damage/drain. And as Medic stated, if you can't sacrifice the strength, then you can't meet the components for the spell and are therefore unable to cast it. I would rule that a different stat take a drain. Like Charisma. Overall, it's up to the individual DM running the game you use the spell in. I personally, am not familiar with the spell, but in RAW if you cannot meet the component requirements then you can't cast the spell. I would say to discuss this with your DM to have some workaround. Obviously the strength drain is an inhibitor to for some reason to keep the spell from being used all over the place whenever the player wants. Without this inhibitor, it defeats the purpose of having the requirement and may imbalance the spell/game (and remember, I don't know anything about the spell so that may be slightly off).

It's a straight up damage spell. With fortitude half. Can deal d8 against evil creatures and it's a force effect but that's about it. Honestly, I've heard that busting out save or die spells is the way you want to go with wizards but I feel that doing something like that is cheap and I want the novelty of firing off holy spells at enemies. I most certainly plan to have all my 3rd level + spell slots be dedicated almost entirely to this spell because I like it so much.

Boci
2011-10-13, 05:27 AM
Honestly, I've heard that busting out save or die spells is the way you want to go with wizards

Not really. Whilst most wizards should have some save or die/lose spells in their inventory, they generally affect only one target and do little on a siccesful save, so battlefield control, debuffing or buffing (or a mixture of the three) are better spell concepts to dedicate yourself too.

Ultimately this is going to be up to your DM. It certainly won't be overpowered in most groups, but some DMs may feel it violates the spirit of the rules. If yours does, you could find another damaging spell and just describe it as being a holy hammer if that works for you.

Snowbluff
2011-10-13, 09:44 AM
If you have to, a Rod of Bodily Restoration will fix the lost strength. It's the same thing I use when my Druid casts Greater Luminous Armor.

Boci
2011-10-13, 09:54 AM
If you have to, a Rod of Bodily Restoration will fix the lost strength. It's the same thing I use when my Druid casts Greater Luminous Armor.

No it won't because he can't lose the strength in the first place.

gooddragon1
2011-10-13, 03:25 PM
No it won't because he can't lose the strength in the first place.

Polymorph.

gooddragon1
2011-10-14, 08:44 PM
So I talked with my DM and we've settled on an item costing 4000 gp that will offset the strength damage through a lesser restoration but only function for that spell in particular. (paladin lvl 4 casts restoration at lvl 1=4 then 4x2000=8000 gp, 50% discount for being particular only to that spell = 4000 gp). Honestly, it's not much given how there are much better things a wizard can be doing with their spell slots, but it's the flavor that matters to me. Also I have determined that the item will be a silver hammer created by a mage named Maxwell and that the verbal component to the spell will be "It's hammer time".