PDA

View Full Version : Help modifying the Blood Magus prestige class

ZiggZagg
2011-10-13, 08:16 AM
Alright, so the Blood Magus just oozes all kinds of awesome flavor, so I want to make it more appealing to take. I can live with the horrible prereq feats (since my group removed toughness and just made it improved toughness anyway), but the class needs a little bit more shiny in it. So, I'm thinking of changing the following:
1. Bonus to spellcasting at every level-This is just kinda a given. It doesn't make you less of a caster in anyway, like some other prestige classes do. It is based on spellcasting, period. So why gimp the main utility? So, spellcasting increase at every level. Cut and Dry

2. Bloodseeking Spell-This ability either needs a scaling utility attached to it, or it needs changed. Personally, I think making it work like Overchannel would be kinda cool. Pump more blood into it to make it more powerful. If you want to stick to the straight +damage idea, then maybe for every 3 additional hp you spend, you get another +d6 of damage. Otherwise, it's just not a very useful or appealing ability.

3. Awaken Blood- Minor Fix that I think you should be able to use it at range, but maybe add a fort save to it then. Not a big gripe, just covering bases of what COULD be improved

4. Blood Walk-Alright, this ability is ALL KINDS of messed up. First, 10d6? Are you high? By the time you reach this ability, you are AT LEAST 15th level. Plus, you can only use it once per day. Also, the save is based on your constitution, which makes no sense for it being a spellcasting prestige class. So, easiest fix, base the save on spellcasting stat. Not even that broken. As for the fix to the damage, personally, since you are blowing a hole out of someone, I think it should be A LOT more lethal. I think it would be better (not to mention much cooler ;-) ) if it worked kinda like psychic crush. Fort save or go into negative hitpoints, and then the 10d6 if they succeed the save.

Alright, so that's my rant about what needs to be done, and my thoughts on how to fix it. Any thoughts?

Partysan
2011-10-13, 02:48 PM
Generally if the abilities are just thematic full casting is acceptable, if they are actually useful one lost caster level (typically the first) would be more fitting.

ZiggZagg
2011-10-13, 06:02 PM
See, I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. There are plenty of prestige classes that gain very useful abilities and spellcasting every level. For instance, the Archmage, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, and Abjurant Champion all get awesome abilities, but also go up in spellcasting every level. So I think it is fully justified to try and give this class an increase and make it more worth it to take

ZiggZagg
2011-10-13, 06:03 PM
See, I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. There are plenty of prestige classes that gain very useful abilities and spellcasting every level. For instance, the Archmage, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, and Abjurant Champion all get awesome abilities, but also go up in spellcasting every level. So I think it is fully justified to try and give this class an increase and make it more worth it to take

Partysan
2011-10-13, 06:17 PM
Yes, if your balance point are the most pwerful prestige classes for the already most powerful class in the game then you're right. In my personal opinion at least the initiate should lose one level, and don't forget the archmage loses spell slots and the champion is a gish class. And Io7V and Incantatrix do not a good balance point make. All opinion of course.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-13, 07:04 PM
And incantatrix, while still quite powerful, DOES require banning another school. That's not a trivial cost at all.