PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Wizard's Sanctum

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-13, 09:30 AM
So I've been considering the ideal sanctum for a Wizard. You know, the place he/she goes to relax, store valuable equipment, be protected from everything, etc.

First, it has to be more-or-less unknown. Method for accomplishing this would be finding a dragon who is temporarily outside of his lair, then using a few passwalls to tunnel deep into the mountain beneath his lair. Once down there, disintegrate a few cubes of solid rock (which hopefully leave the area structurally stable, but a permanent wall of force could be used to support the ceiling). The passwalls will close up, leaving a small room in the heart of a mountain under a dragon's lair.

Once that's set up, a permanent Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum will keep it unseen so that no one else can teleport in.

Just in case, I was thinking of some spell traps and magical traps.

What else would be beneficial to include? Improvements?

Sudain
2011-10-13, 09:51 AM
I like how secure it is.

For mine I'd still like some method for minions to be able to drop off supplies if possible though. After all, each teleport in and out is work I have to do; if I can have minions do that work I'd like to do that instead.

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-10-13, 10:21 AM
It's kind of a trade-off between security and accessibility. If your minions can get in to drop off the groceries, what's to stop your enemies from getting in the same way? You can take precautions, sure, but you've still opened up one more vulnerability and, even if you take precautions, it's still a vulnerabilty.

silver spectre
2011-10-13, 10:31 AM
That's a pretty good set up so far.

If you have anyway of expanding the space extradimensionally that would decrease the amount of physical engineering required.

Use the harden spell to increase the hardness of the walls, floors, and ceilings to keep out expansive miners and some of the nastier burrowing critters.
Lining the walls with (or making them) a fire and acid resistant/immune material would help keep out random thoquas and other things that use acid or heat to burrow through stone.

Depending on the wizard's power level and the dragon in question their is also the idea of shared defense (through alliance, contract, or control) after the sanctum has been built.

NNescio
2011-10-13, 11:29 AM
Why not just use a personal demiplane? Other from the spell level, that is.

Mustard
2011-10-13, 11:54 AM
To address Sudain's needs: have two sanctums. One is the hidden one nobody knows about, the other is the one your minions work at. No matter where you actually spend most of your time, make it seem like the less private one is where you spend most of your time. Fake presence and all that. Keep some valuables there, enough that will hurt to lose, but won't be devastating, to make it believable. A third sanctum might be a good idea, or might be a bad idea. It costs resources, and if it seems "too easy", then that opens up the second sanctum as a possible fake as well. But if that's the default assumption anyway, maybe that's not so bad.

The best thing is to be low-profile in the first place. Discretely supply the good guys or the bad guys with the tools they need to fight evil or good, respectively, and stay out of it! But then that character is no longer a PC :smalltongue:.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-13, 12:24 PM
I'd aim for the demiplane protected by a Weirdstone. Then I'd use a simulacrum or two to man the weirdstone to turn it off (via the Sending spell) when I want to enter the demiplane.

Throw in an Earth Node with an Oak tree at it's center should I possess the Node Spellcasting and Metanode Spell feats.

Eventually... I'd upgrade to a Mythal inside the demiplane.