PDA

View Full Version : Idea that has been rolling around.

Watjalukinat
2011-10-13, 02:54 PM
Hello, new to posting on forum, but been getting info from here for a little bit.

First off, I play with my cousins/uncles/and family friends, our extended family has been playing for over 20 years, and they finally sucked me in a few years ago. Not always sure how many will play in a said game. We are currently playing a 2nd edi. game with 5 pcs and the dm of course. And at the same time my uncle (unofficial patriarch of d&d) has built his own world, very indepth very elaborate, working on it for years, but is currently in the process of converting it from 2nd edi. to 3.5 (we're stubborn and don't like change much =D) which we'll play when he's done.
So aside from Star Wars games a few of my cousins have played, none of us have 3.5 experience. I am just now comfortable enough with 2nd edi, and excited about the forthcoming upgrade I've been thinking about maybe DMing in the future, and thus I've been thinking about world creation. Half campaign creating and half writing a book, surprising the two go very well together.
If I do ever DM, i'll probably do a module or something first to get my feet wet.

But, the point of all that is to say we're going to be a 2nd edi. AND a 3.5 edi. group.

I thought of something outside of the book/campaign that seems to be fairly simple to create on the surface and was just tossing it out for ideas.

A Heavy Metal/Hard Rock based campaign.
With song/band/album names etc for places, people, magic items, maybe even new spells, idk just thinking. My group likes the idea but noone wants to take it and run. I'd love to have songs etc playing over sound system as encounter stuff. We're all metal heads or at least the older guys are Hard Rock fans.

So this thread is just for any Heavy Metal/Hard Rock ideas that could work for either 2nd or 3.5 editions. (no Avenge Sevenfold, Korn etc, just real metal/hard rock.) Kinda want mostly popular references.

For places/objects we've though of:
maybe a Crazy Train (idk how to do that exactly, maybe a conductor named Locomotive Breath)
Cemetery gates
Hall of the Mountain King
Skid Row
Soundgarden
Hammerfall
Gallows Pole
Stairway to Heaven...
Houses of the Holy
The Temples of Syrinx
Seven Seas of Rhye

For people/characters:
Man on the Silver Mountain
The Wizard (either Black Sabbath or Uriah Heep songs)
IronMan
maybe Eddie from Iron Maiden could be a dude
Iron Maiden could be Ironman's wife lol
War Pigs
Master of Puppets
Angel of Death
Stargazer
The Trooper
Painkiller
Holy Diver
Ancient Mariner (and his Rime)
Children of the Grave
Cowboys from Hell
Mr. Crowley
The Four Horsemen
Neon Knights
Fairies wear boots
Exciter
Powerslave
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Abigail
Melissa
Dr. Feelgood
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Slayer
Megadeth (maybe name for a dragon or something deadly)
Pantera
Alice in Chains
Motley Crue
King Diamond
Diamond Head
Cannibal Corpse (don't care for the band, but gotta admit it'd fit right in)
Scorpions
Blind Guardian
Machine Head
Twisted Sister
White Zombie
maybe a fletcher called the Aerosmith (yes play on words)
Bad Company
Blue Oyster Cult (maybe some odd druids)
Alice Cooper
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Moby ****
What is and what should never be (not sure on this one)
Black Dog
Frakenstein and Godzilla (doubt usefull)
Madhouse
Queen
Whitesnake
Working Man
Aqualung
Killer Queen
Death on Two Legs
Fat Bottomed Girls
Princes of the Universe

Other randommetalness:
The Witching Hour
Creeping Death
2 minutes to midnight
Battle of Evermore
Cat Scratch Fever
Barracuda

That's all I could come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure I missed a bunch of obvious ones. gotta be more Metallica I could have added.
And of course some songs would be based on circumstances, if they walked into a jungle - Welcome to the Jungle, etc.

Some may think this is a stupid idea, but if it turned out okay it'd be pretty good immersion, the game would have to be played like a normal game, just with adjustments. if taken seriously i think it'd be a lot of fun
wonder if Bards would be rockstars....

Diefje
2011-10-13, 03:12 PM
This is mostly a personal qualm, but references like that are little writers jokes (to me). There's nothing wrong with it, and your groups might love it. But to me what makes a good setting is realism. If everything is a reference, it'll just seem like a big joke world that isn't very real, or serious. Not to say that you can't make references at all, but use them sparingly. Make them the Big Bads, the Kings, the Grandmagus, so when the reference does kick in, it's more epic.

Again, it depends a lot on your group, this is just a personal opinion.

Watjalukinat
2011-10-13, 03:21 PM
I didn't mean for EVERYTHING to be a reference, just notable stuff. Basically if you have a reason to remember what something is called, then it's gonna be something like that.

plus not completely against it being a joke of a world.

something that is a bit more relaxing and something that can be used if ppl are gone or what have you. a distraction of sorts. like I said in the op there's already one game in progress, and another that is far more in-depth and serious on the way.

Diefje
2011-10-13, 03:23 PM
Carry on then :)