PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Paladin Spellcasting

Waker
2011-10-13, 03:09 PM
Seeing some of the recent threads concerning paladins as well as a desire to play one (for RP) has got me thinking. What are some of the ways including ACFs and PrCs to expand on the amount of spells that a paladin can cast. I'm already well aware of the Sword of the Arcane Order and the Mystic Fire Knight, but what I would really like it something similar to the Sublime Chord for Bards.

gkathellar
2011-10-13, 03:12 PM
Knight of the Weave. Gives Sorcerer casting up to sixth level spells, allows for Paladin multiclassing.

Waker
2011-10-13, 03:21 PM
Knight of the Weave. Gives Sorcerer casting up to sixth level spells, allows for Paladin multiclassing.
I had seen that class but it didn't quite do what I wanted. It doesn't actually progress anything related to a paladin and just seems more like a class that a paladin can take.

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 03:41 PM
Divine Crusader is a pretty logical class for a Paladin to take, though it's by no means unique to them.

Tokuhara
2011-10-13, 03:48 PM
I had seen that class but it didn't quite do what I wanted. It doesn't actually progress anything related to a paladin and just seems more like a class that a paladin can take.

Look for PrCs that add domains

Coidzor
2011-10-13, 05:15 PM
Speaking of Prestige classes that add domains, I noticed the Wavekeeper in Stormwrack actually added one of 4 domains' spells to a class's spell list rather than giving them the domain.

Elric VIII
2011-10-13, 05:34 PM
You could ask for the Mystic Ranger to be applied to Paladin. Remove Heavy Armor Proficiency and delay Special Mount/Smite Evil in order to get 0-5th level spells.

Another option is Crusader 1/Cleric 4/PrC Paladin 15. This nets you +19 BAB and 12th level Cleric casting (just a bit more spell levels than Mystic Ranger). Spice with Cleric and Crusader levels, season to taste.

You can even duplicate a really nice Paladin with Crusader 1/Cleric 2/Crusader1/PrC Paladin 2/Crusader 1/Prc Paladin 3/Crusader 1/PrC Paladin 1/Crusader 1/Cleric 2/Crusader 1/PrC Paladin 1/Crusader 3 .

You get 4th level spells, Smite Evil, 7th level maneuvers, and 9 levels of Paladin Mount.

Lateral
2011-10-13, 05:45 PM
Honestly, pretty much all of the Paladin's abilities can be gotten with three levels of Prestige Paladin and a feat or two spent on Extra Smiting. Hell, Cleric 6/Prestige Paladin 3/Cleric 11 is pretty much a paladin with less BAB and 19th level Cleric casting. Who needs BAB when you have Divine Power, anyway?

Coidzor
2011-10-13, 05:48 PM
Seeing some of the recent threads concerning paladins as well as a desire to play one (for RP) has got me thinking. What are some of the ways including ACFs and PrCs to expand on the amount of spells that a paladin can cast. I'm already well aware of the Sword of the Arcane Order and the Mystic Fire Knight, but what I would really like it something similar to the Sublime Chord for Bards.

Apostle of Peace (Exalted Ew and makes the paladin part completely pointless), Ur-Priest(completely contradictory except for a paladin of a dead god but requires a fall even then, IIRC), Blighter (bad and druid flavored and evil so requires a fall), and Divine Crusader (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210071)(practically neutered, but then again, so are Paladin casters) are the only accelerated casters for divine magic.

You're pretty much limited to homebrew for what you really seem to want.

navar100
2011-10-13, 05:48 PM
Unearthed Arcana Prestige Paladin

Enter as 4/1 Fighter/Cleric if you want combat feats and hit points. Enter as 2/3 Fighter/Cleric if you're ok with having one less feat and a few less hit points for more spells. You only increase spellcasting every other level, but you're using the cleric spell list with Domains (with a recommendation to include paladin-only spells) and will have more spells per day than PHB Paladin. You can get 5th level spells by level 20. All paladin abilities except Smite Evil will have an effective function of only one level lower than a PHB paladin of equal character level, which is not a bad trade for spontaneous healing, cleric spells, and more feats. Smite Evil sucks because the extra damage is based on the prestige class level, thus you're 5 down PHB Paladin. Still, it's useful for the plus to hit so still works well with Power Attack. Perhaps your extra combat feats from Fighter will compensate.

hex0
2011-10-13, 05:49 PM
You could ask for the Mystic Ranger to be applied to Paladin. Remove Heavy Armor Proficiency and delay Special Mount/Smite Evil in order to get 0-5th level spells.

Another option is Crusader 1/Cleric 4/PrC Paladin 15. This nets you +19 BAB and 12th level Cleric casting (just a bit more spell levels than Mystic Ranger). Spice with Cleric and Crusader levels, season to taste.

You can even duplicate a really nice Paladin with Crusader 1/Cleric 2/Crusader1/PrC Paladin 2/Crusader 1/Prc Paladin 3/Crusader 1/PrC Paladin 1/Crusader 1/Cleric 2/Crusader 1/PrC Paladin 1/Crusader 3 .

You get 4th level spells, Smite Evil, 7th level maneuvers, and 9 levels of Paladin Mount.

This is how you do it. If you choose the Animal Domain, you can also take prestige Ranger! Ranger has some nice spells (especially out of core)

If you could nab a bonus domain you could take prestige ranger.

But if you just want a fix to Paladin, give them 1st level spells at 2nd level and bump the other spells up to 5th instead. Maybe let them pick one of their Deity's domains. Oh and make them CHA casters (like in PF).

hex0
2011-10-13, 05:54 PM
Honestly, pretty much all of the Paladin's abilities can be gotten with three levels of Prestige Paladin and a feat or two spent on Extra Smiting. Hell, Cleric 6/Prestige Paladin 3/Cleric 11 is pretty much a paladin with less BAB and 19th level Cleric casting. Who needs BAB when you have Divine Power, anyway?

Crusader 5/Pious Templar 3 already has the same spellcasting as Paladin 8, too. (among other things). Poor, Paladin...:smallfrown:

Andion Isurand
2011-10-13, 06:16 PM
Mmmm... Cleric + Prestige Paladin + Battle Blessing feat

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 06:43 PM
Mmmm... Cleric + Prestige Paladin + Battle Blessing feat
Does nothing, as you have no "Paladin spell slots".

Andion Isurand
2011-10-13, 06:52 PM
Does nothing, as you have no "Paladin spell slots".

Don't have the book on me right now, but my source online doesn't say anything about spell slots, just the ability to cast paladin spells.

Flickerdart
2011-10-13, 06:57 PM
Don't have the book on me right now, but my source online doesn't say anything about spell slots, just the ability to cast paladin spells.
Odd, for some reason I thought the feat auto-quickened spells from Paladin slots.

Still, being able to Quicken 4th level spells as a full caster isn't much to write home about.

Coidzor
2011-10-13, 09:20 PM
Odd, for some reason I thought the feat auto-quickened spells from Paladin slots.

Still, being able to Quicken 4th level spells as a full caster isn't much to write home about.

Auto-quickening a fair number of nifty-ish 1st to 4th level spells isn't exactly bad, either. Isn't there some kind of epic feat that does something similar but only for one low level spell until one gets into ridonkulouser levels of epic?

There's always a better option unless you're not a god spell-to-power erudite with access to every spell in the game at all times. And even then, probably a better option.