View Full Version : (PF) Paladin In A No Magic World

Orsen
2011-10-13, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone,
I decided not long ago to run a short pathfinder game in a world with no magic. I don't mean low magic, I mean magic doesn't exist (I'm open to hearing suggestions of systems that work better then PF for no magic games but part of the point of this short campaign is to give non-spell casters some time to shine).
Core only, and the classes are also limited to Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Ranger (using Holy Warrior ACF from CC), Rogue and Paladin.
Since God's don't provide divine magic in this world, Paladins are loosing some class features. Detect Evil, Aura of good, channel positive energy, spell casting (also getting Holy Warrior ACF), and will only get the option of mount from the Divine Bond class feature who is not summoned or dismissed.
This doesn't sit too well with me though, because I feel like I'm taking with one hand then slapping away some player options with the other. Are there any suggestions on other ways I can de-magic a Paladin or suggestions on things to give them to make up for what they are missing?

Diefje
2011-10-13, 05:10 PM
"A fallen paladin is just a fighter without feats". Personally I wouldn't bother putting them in at all. What makes a paladin a paladin is pretty much strictly tied to the Divine. It'd be like putting in a cleric w/o powers, so you can do Heal checks. If they want to recreate the paladinish style in combat, you can do it with a fighter. And nothing is stopping anyone from taking up a Code of Conduct.

Psyren
2011-10-13, 05:32 PM
Cavalier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier)

/thread

Coidzor
2011-10-13, 05:41 PM
Well, first off, this is a bad idea to attempt with either D&D 3.X or Pathfinder, given you're dependent upon magic or magic-lite for healing and the game's paradigm depends upon magical healing. So you're better off using another system to play a no-magic game.

Secondly, if they're not empowered by either les deiux or supernatural powers of good, you're better off not having them and porting the Knight over the Pathfinder if you don't wanna play a Fighter fluffed as some kind of Crusader.

hex0
2011-10-13, 06:16 PM
Play a Knight instead or just steal some of the class abilities form Knight.

Lord Bingo
2011-10-13, 06:28 PM
I have contemplated a similar thing. If your goal is to give non-casters a moment to shine, just remove full casters from the game. The spellcasting of Bards, Rangers, Paladins, etc. is not really a problem, if you ask me.

Another option would be to run an E6 campaign (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?352719-necro-goodness-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D). This solves the class balancing issue by removing spells above level 3 from the game entirely (amongst other things). This obviously also restricts the availability of magic item and such, meaning that players will have to rely more on their characters inherent strengths as they will not be receiving a lot of external bonuses.

-edit-
All in all I tend to agree with the sentiment that Pathfinder is not really suited for going entirely without magic. For a different system, you might try Savage Worlds.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-13, 06:33 PM
Or, if you really want a no-magic game, compensate with nonmagical gear. Alchemical herbs with the availability, potency, and pricing of healing potions. Expert smiths who can craft wondrously sharp, yet nonmagical, swords (up to 25% more damaging than normal swords). Mystical training techniques and reclusive hermit gurus who know them, improving physical stats in increments of +1 or +2.

You don't need magic in D&D, but if you don't have the bonuses that magic usually supplies, the entire system crumbles into teeny tiny pieces.

Bovine Colonel
2011-10-13, 08:42 PM
Is homebrew allowed?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216387

Coidzor
2011-10-13, 08:46 PM
Or, if you really want a no-magic game, compensate with nonmagical gear. Alchemical herbs with the availability, potency, and pricing of healing potions.

Dear lord. They'd need porters in order to have enough healing potions on hand by level 6. :smalleek:

The Glyphstone
2011-10-13, 09:28 PM
Dear lord. They'd need porters in order to have enough healing potions on hand by level 6. :smalleek:

Who keeps track of encumbrance, anyways?:smallbiggrin:

Note that I didn't say 'same weight' as healing potions - maybe a single leaf of Goddess' Tears, or a single sip of Starlight Tea, has the curative properties of a Cure Critical Wounds potion while weighing a fraction as much (but, conveniently, costing as much per-HP regained, or less if you want to hand out less coinage as treasure).

Psyren
2011-10-13, 10:18 PM
Who keeps track of encumbrance, anyways?:smallbiggrin:

Note that I didn't say 'same weight' as healing potions - maybe a single leaf of Goddess' Tears, or a single sip of Starlight Tea, has the curative properties of a Cure Critical Wounds potion while weighing a fraction as much (but, conveniently, costing as much per-HP regained, or less if you want to hand out less coinage as treasure).

And just as conveniently, popping a leaf into your mouth still takes a standard action and provokes AoO :smalltongue: CArc and their wafers never did address that...