PDA

View Full Version : immunity to stunning

big teej
2011-10-13, 07:54 PM
greetings playgrounders,

the dwarf fighter in my school group recently got his hands on the Hammer of Thunderbolts.

one of the effects of this weapon is that when it strikes an enemy when thrown, it emits a thunderclap that causes all creatures except the wielder within 90 feet to make a fort save or be deafened for a period of time. stunned for 1 round

being a good team player, the dwarf has expressed interest in finding a way to make the rest of the party immune (or at least highly resistant) to deafness being stunned

so....

thoughts?

solutions in item form are preferred.

Zaq
2011-10-13, 08:02 PM
Masterwork ear protectors? I can't think of anything specific by RAW . . .

big teej
2011-10-13, 08:03 PM
Masterwork ear protectors? I can't think of anything specific by RAW . . .

niether can I... hence why I'm here.

NNescio
2011-10-13, 08:10 PM
greetings playgrounders,

the dwarf fighter in my school group recently got his hands on the Hammer of Thunderbolts.

one of the effects of this weapon is that when it strikes an enemy when thrown, it emits a thunderclap that causes all creatures except the wielder within 90 feet to make a fort save or be deafened for a period of time.

being a good team player, the dwarf has expressed interest in finding a way to make the rest of the party immune (or at least highly resistant) to deafness
so....

thoughts?

solutions in item form are preferred.

The hammer of Thunderbolts doesn't deafen; it stuns.

Hammer of Thunderbolts

This +3 Large returning warhammer deals 4d6 points of damage on any hit. Further, if the wielder wears a belt of giant strength and gauntlets of ogre power and he knows that the hammer is a hammer of thunderbolts (not just a +3 warhammer), the weapon can be used to full effect: It gains a total +5 enhancement bonus, allows all belt and gauntlet bonuses to stack (only when using this weapon), and strikes dead any giant upon whom it scores a hit (Fortitude DC 20 negates the death effect but not the damage).

When hurled, on a successful attack the hammer emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, causing all creatures within 90 feet to be stunned for 1 round (Fortitude DC 15 negates). The hammer’s range increment is 30 feet.

Strong evocation, necromancy, and transmutation; CL 20th; Weight 15 lb.

big teej
2011-10-13, 08:16 PM
The hammer of Thunderbolts doesn't deafen; it stuns.

>.< stunned! I meant stunned!

same question!!! new effect! :smallredface:

note to self - correct player's mis-reading.

Qwertystop
2011-10-13, 08:26 PM
Since the stunned-ness is due to sound, I'd say any way to be immune to deafness would count. Or to be immune or resistant to sonic damage.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 08:27 PM
Earplugs wouldn't work. It only works with [Mind-Effecting, Sonic] effects. Unless it is that. Just my 2 CP

NNescio
2011-10-13, 08:28 PM
>.< stunned! I meant stunned!

same question!!! new effect! :smallredface:

note to self - correct player's mis-reading.

Well, you can turn into an undead, elemental, or one of those subtypes that have stun immunity.

Also, the thunderclap is a sonic attack, so a silence effect would protect from it.

And since it is a sonic attack, it defaults to a spread, which is subject to LoE rules.

Sonic Attacks

Unless otherwise noted, a sonic attack follows the rules for spreads. The range of the spread is measured from the creature using the sonic attack. Once a sonic attack has taken effect, deafening the subject or stopping its ears does not end the effect. Stopping one’s ears ahead of time allows opponents to avoid having to make saving throws against mind-affecting sonic attacks, but not other kinds of sonic attacks (such as those that deal damage). Stopping one’s ears is a full-round action and requires wax or other soundproof material to stuff into the ears.

'though it's not as easy to block as an emanation.

Spread

Some effects, notably clouds and fogs, spread out from a point of origin, which must be a grid intersection. The effect can extend around corners and into areas that you can’t see. Figure distance by actual distance traveled, taking into account turns the spell effect takes. When determining distance for spread effects, count around walls, not through them. As with movement, do not trace diagonals across corners. You must designate the point of origin for such an effect, but you need not have line of effect (see below) to all portions of the effect.

deuxhero
2011-10-13, 08:29 PM
A good fortitude save.

NNescio
2011-10-13, 08:32 PM
A good fortitude save.

Nat 1s, so you'll need rerolls to save reliably, at least if the dwarf plans on hurling his hammer often.

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-13, 08:36 PM
You want a banners of storm eye in the MIC for 15k. Allies within 20ft is immune to stunning and other benefits. Can be mounted on the shoulders.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-13, 08:38 PM
You want a banners of storm eye in the MIC for 15k. Allies within 20ft is immune to stunning and other benefits. Can be mounted on the shoulders.

Figure out a way to Widen the effect, and you'd be golden.

big teej
2011-10-13, 08:47 PM

intriguing, and totally awesome.... unfortunately I don't have that book yet :smallfrown:

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-13, 11:37 PM
Homebrew a variant that only give immunity to stunning? And maybe fear :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-10-13, 11:38 PM
Convince them all to go warshaper...for at least one level.:smallwink:

Hanuman
2011-10-13, 11:52 PM
Use the thrown weapon when they're adjacent to you while holding another weapon. This should disarm them and leave them vulnerable... sounds like a really good tripper item, medium melee monsters who need weapons would be toast.

Darrin
2011-10-14, 07:04 AM

It also appears in the Eberron Explorer's Handbook, but with a slightly different wording... by RAW that version only counters fear and stun effects generated by (Su) or SLAs. However, both versions affect *anyone* within 20', not just allies, so trying to use it once you've closed ranks with your opponents could be problematic.

Talisman of Undying Fortitude (8000 GP, MIC p. 188) would work... but you still don't have that book. Whiteshiver Elixir (1500, Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk p. 288) would also do the trick, but that's from a pretty obscure source, and 1500 GP per use isn't exactly a bargain.

Hmm. Maybe a wand of favor of the martyr (SC, Pal 4).

Basket Burner
2011-10-14, 09:48 AM
Do nothing. As it is only DC 15, everyone should be passing on a 2 or better. Everyone also includes the enemies though, so he should find something else to do.

Reaver225
2011-10-14, 10:46 AM
Hey, I'm looking for something similar, immunity to stunning for my cleric, so she can use Reserves of Strength (we're running a dragonlance campaign).

Is there any item that does cause immunity to stunning?

Keld Denar
2011-10-14, 11:22 AM
Anything that gives you the Elemental, Construct, Plant, or Undead types would work. Off the top of my head, Elemental Body (SpC, Wiz6) and Veil of Undeath (SpC, Wiz8/Clr8) work.

As far as items, there are items on this list:

Ernir's Optimized Item Requirements (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851)

Stun negation
Why you need it: Stun is one of those conditions that makes you unable to act. Which means that when you're stunned, your character is a sitting duck, and you're sitting at the table counting cheetos.
Cheap:
Third Eye Clarity (MIC). 3000GP, face slot. Once per day, negate the Stun as an immediate action. Can negate other nasty stuff too. Great pick.
Talisman of Undying Fortitude (MIC). 8000GP, held. Swift action activation, gives you lots of undead immunities for 3 rounds, including stun.
Standard:
Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC). 15000GP, held or shoulders slot. Negates stunning and other nasty stuff for you *and* your allies. Top pick.
Wakeful Mind graft (FoE). 14000GP, slotless. Other minor benefits, including no longer needing to sleep. Also makes you slightly less healthy and less knowledgeable, but that's the price you pay for having robot components embedded in your head.

Reaver225
2011-10-14, 05:43 PM
Thanks a lot.. I'll see if I can't swing that by my DM!