PDA

View Full Version : Help with an in-game wedding present (bit of an odd request)

Kol Korran
2011-10-13, 08:01 PM
Guy, Alon, Tomer and Ariel, stay out!

if any of you are reading my log, this contains a sort of a spoiler, but i could really use your help!

in my campaign there is going to be a wedding, between a former PC (a half giant Psi war, who is very moral upstanding, thequiet reflective paladin type) and the wife he has left twice now to pursue worthy goals, but to which he has now returned. (she is also a warrior, but of lesser skill and never left her clan). this is in Eberron if that helps, in Xen'dric. (not that important)

i need some sort of a wedding present, something just between the two of them (which later i'll use for other needs). i'd like something to say "i love you, care for you" and/or showing kindness with strength and concern. shouldn't be a ring or obvious jewelery, since that plays little place in their society.

the trick is however, that if someone encountered the gift later, it shouldn't be obvious who it belongs to (even though they know the newly weds), but when their identity comes to light, the connection should be believable. tricky as i said.

what other info can i provide? the clan lived in a city made of obsidian, protected by a psychic barrier, a small oft visiting tribe of shamanistic stone giants with powers over earth, (hhhmmm.. .perhaps something specially crafted by the giants for the occasion? but what?) and the city also held a mighty ally and councilor- a naga who turned to a couatl (don't ask)

the tribe itself is quite primitive, but holds some psionic powers, and venerates the forgotten giants of old times, who wielded great magic and worshiped dragons, and the sun.

oh, and if it's any help, the male half giant (the former PC) lost his memory on the way, and didn't recognize her when he met her at first. he hasn't regained his memory.

she is sort of the "loyal but feisty" type. (sorry for the broad generalization, hadn't had the time to develop her much.

thank you. it would help a lot!

Kol. :smallsmile:

Analytica
2011-10-15, 08:12 AM
Psi-giant crafted memory stone. It only works fully when two people touch it at once, at which point it stores their sensory and emotional impressions for as long as it is held. Under some other condition, it replays these memories. May look like... I don't know, perhaps a sleeping baby animal carved from obsidian?

Kalirren
2011-10-15, 07:23 PM
By a "wedding present" do you mean something given to the newlyweds as a couple, or something given by one of them to the other? nvm, you answered that, the latter.

The Xen'driki giants were mages, but are no longer, right? It's convenient that both were warriors. It opens the potential for a piece of armor. Some sort of artifact containing a Khyber Dragonshard, possibly with an earth elemental bound to it? Perhaps even an equipment crystal made from a Khyber Dragonshard, a la Magic Item Compendium? The equipment crystal helps with your plausible anonymity requriement. :-)

Toofey
2011-10-15, 08:04 PM
What items have come up in play? If the only times items not being used come up are at this wedding, and then the same item randomly somewhere else, it's going to be too obvious. (IMO)

If there are items that come up it should be a special one of some common item. So if there were a lot of scarves it could be a scarf with special embroidery (possibly symbolically significant to the couple) etc...

If you don't have things come up a lot you should probably start seeding these for a few sessions if you get the chance.

Kol Korran
2011-10-15, 09:13 PM
Psi-giant crafted memory stone. It only works fully when two people touch it at once, at which point it stores their sensory and emotional impressions for as long as it is held. Under some other condition, it replays these memories. May look like... I don't know, perhaps a sleeping baby animal carved from obsidian?

that is an interesting idea- since he didn't recognize her at first due to his lost memory, it might be his way of saying "this way i'll always remember you, and you remember me".

a very good idea! thanks!

By Kalliren
The Xen'driki giants were mages, but are no longer, right? It's convenient that both were warriors. It opens the potential for a piece of armor. Some sort of artifact containing a Khyber Dragonshard, possibly with an earth elemental bound to it? Perhaps even an equipment crystal made from a Khyber Dragonshard, a la Magic Item Compendium? The equipment crystal helps with your plausible anonymity requriement

i prefer it to be a minor magic item at most, nothing major like an elemental bound. it would be hard to explain where they got it. the ruined city was protected with the half giants by the PCs, so any kind of magical item that SUDDENLY appears need a godo explanation, especially one that could be used for battle. i'm looking more for something symbolic.

still, something from the giant Era might be fine... :smallamused:

By Toofey
What items have come up in play? If the only times items not being used come up are at this wedding, and then the same item randomly somewhere else, it's going to be too obvious. (IMO)

If there are items that come up it should be a special one of some common item. So if there were a lot of scarves it could be a scarf with special embroidery (possibly symbolically significant to the couple) etc...

If you don't have things come up a lot you should probably start seeding these for a few sessions if you get the chance.

there haven't been an y"regular day to day life" items appearing in play. we haven't focused on that really. the presents are given in secret at the wedding, so the party won't "seei t at wedding, and then see it again at the desired time". instead, they will see it ONLY at the desired itme, and it could be anything. but:
1) i want it to be an adequate present from a loving husband to wife.
2) after knowing who it belongs to, the PC should see the fairly firm connection to the husband.
3) it shouldn't be too obvious, as i don't want them to connect it to the husband immediately when they see it, only after they already know that it's with the wife.

i hope i'm making some sort of sense...

LansXero
2011-10-16, 11:20 PM
From her to him, a psicrystal, a little something of her personality in it so she is by him even when she is not. Not enough to be recognizable at first sight, but enough that after a while you realize "hey its just like her".

From him to her, gettin a special psi-tattoo (those are scrolls right?) of empathic transfer (the one that lets you heal people by taking their pain yourself). A bit emo, but its very self sacrificey. Anyone seeing it unless they had psicraft wouldnt know what it was, but knowing it and knowing him it would click who he is saving it for.

Then again, I really liked the memory shard idea.

Kol Korran
2011-10-17, 03:40 PM
From her to him, a psicrystal, a little something of her personality in it so she is by him even when she is not. Not enough to be recognizable at first sight, but enough that after a while you realize "hey its just like her".

a bit like the memory shard idea. interesting. however, the party won't find the gift from her to him. i apologize for not being clear about it. :smallconfused:

From him to her, getting a special psi-tattoo (those are scrolls right?) of empathic transfer (the one that lets you heal people by taking their pain yourself). A bit emo, but its very self sacrificey. Anyone seeing it unless they had psicraft wouldnt know what it was, but knowing it and knowing him it would click who he is saving it for.

the tattoos are tattoos- paints inserted into the skin. not scrolls. though they work in a similar fashion. i didn't quite understand it. he gets the tattoo so he could heal her by inflicting pain on himself? if so- won't they need to find his skin (and therefore him) for this gift? that would be way too obvious.

this needs to be something she carries, alone from him.

Then again, I really liked the memory shard idea.

it is a nice one, isn't it? :smallamused:

Bad Situation
2011-10-18, 01:51 AM
A knife. A nice ceremonial knife is a great present.