PDA

View Full Version : Silly Build Idea

Zaq
2011-10-13, 09:34 PM
So, by now I hope we all know that pixies (http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pr/20111007) exist, at least in preview form. They're a very silly race, and they deserve a silly build to match. This idea just struck me the other day, and although it's mostly played for laughs, I think it could work.

Basically, I'm envisioning a pixie Bard|Warlord, totally CHA/INT focused, who uses lazy Warlord powers and targeting abilities (like, say, Forward Observer, which is critical for reasons that should be obvious in a second) alongside normal Bard powers. They would, of course, have to be a total know-it-all, taking Bardic Knowledge and getting training in most or all of the monster knowledge skills, with items to match, if available. Fun fact: hybrid Bards don't have to take Arcana, so you could take Blade Initiate to get both Arcana and Swordmage implements (meaning that you can use a dagger for melee, ranged, and implement attacks), giving it a leg up over AIP if you're not looking at another specific MC. Gotta know what you're up against, after all, right?

Anyway, I'd like to think that everyone who's going to get the reference has gotten it by now, so I won't explain the joke (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontExplainTheJoke?from=Main.ptitle0t9r68ih). That said, do you see any obvious pitfalls for this character? Would it work? This isn't a specific build (more a concept, really), so I'm not going to stat it out to a specific level, but is there anything standing in the way of this build being at least reasonable effective? Are there any easy ways to boost monster knowledge checks (Goggles of the Bone Collector are a gimme if you can afford 'em, but maybe a background would help)? Are there enough lazy Warlord powers out there that the Warlord part of this won't end up being a burden? In short, what do you think?

The Reverend
2011-10-13, 10:30 PM
Jack of all trades? Maybe?

Im sure there is a background that will improve one or more monster checks, probably by 2 or more. Sorry that's all I got. I played a minotaur wizard so id play this.

Irish Musician
2011-11-10, 01:08 PM
I love to play weird, odd combonations of race and class so I would totally play this, why not? Maybe not for an extended campaign, but for a couple of month long campaign or so, yeah definitely. Sounds funny. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-11-10, 05:34 PM
Obviously, it has to be female, and she must glow blue and be as annoyingly helpful as possible to the Defender. If you're going to do it, do it right. :smalltongue:

Given that some people have made entire Lazylord builds, I'd say you probably aren't going to be lacking in Warlord powers.

Adoendithas
2011-11-10, 06:34 PM
Why the Defender? Why not the Rogue?

MeeposFire
2011-11-10, 06:47 PM
There are plenty of good lazy powers out there so you should be fine. In fact I have made straight up lazy warlords and they work fine and you will have more variety (especially with the new skald powers to choose). Encounter power wise you can get lazy powers at level one (powerful warning is one good example, or vengeance is mine is another if you can get a good MBA). Daily wise destructive surprise and a few others are there at level one and above. In fact later on there is a daily that becomes almost an at will that grants the party MBAs and is reliable (and is a str attack so you will almost always miss and you want to miss).

You want the bard of all trades feat.

I think you will have plenty to choose from.

The only problem you need to worry about is party composition as you need a party with good basic attacks. Lots of newer classes work great but without a decent MBA based classes you will miss out on the reason of playing the lazy commander.

Mando Knight
2011-11-10, 07:07 PM
Why the Defender? Why not the Rogue?

Because the Defender is more likely to be wielding a sword and shield and have a decent MBA.

Adoendithas
2011-11-11, 08:34 AM
True, I suppose.

Vknight
2011-11-11, 10:22 AM
Glowing is optional ability to be tapped in a bottle and eaten at a later date possible and effectiveness in combat certain.