PDA

View Full Version : Spell Resistance: How do I get in on that?

zoobob9
2011-10-13, 10:14 PM
I'll make this short and sweet.

What are the best ways to get your character Spell Resistance without a specific race or bloodline?

Items, feats, spells, prestige classes, is there anything you know of?

I tried searching for this, but the search wasn't working for me.

This isnt for any particular character, I'm just curious as to what my options are.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-13, 10:19 PM
Spell Resistance

This property grants the armor’s wearer spell resistance while the armor is worn. The spell resistance can be 13, 15, 17, or 19, depending on the armor.

Strong abjuration; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell resistance; Price +2 bonus (SR 13), +3 bonus (SR 15), +4 bonus (SR 17), or +5 bonus (SR 19).

(In core. Not remotely worth it)

Monk provides Spell resistance. (Also not remotely worth it)

Those are the only two things I can think of that aren't homebrew. Spell resistance is generally not worth it since it applies to good spells that can help you, it's easy enough to get past, and there are plenty of spells that don't actually allow spell resistance anyway.

Zaq
2011-10-13, 10:19 PM
Incarnates can get respectable SR through the Spellward Shirt, though you'll need at least a couple essentia cap boosters.

Clerics are probably the best source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm) of highish SR, since it's really easy to boost a Cleric's caster level if you're trying hard enough. It takes shenanigans to make that Persistable, though.

ORione
2011-10-13, 10:38 PM
... it since it applies to good spells that can help you...

I thought that you could "turn it off" at will.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-13, 10:45 PM

Which requires a standard action, which means you're likely spending your round doing nothing at all. Unless you have some way of gaining multiple standard actions, which usually requires either high level magic, or certain items, and I only know of one of those that exists in the rules as written.

Big Fau
2011-10-13, 10:47 PM

As a Standard action. This is one thing that makes the Incarnate's and Totemist's SR so much better: "Turning it off" is a Swift action, and it actually reduces it to the point that your party's buffer can just beat it the normal way with nearly 0% chance of failing.

SR is usually a trap, seeing as it can prevent healing/buffs if you don't spend that action to use it.

candycorn
2011-10-14, 01:14 AM
As a Standard action. This is one thing that makes the Incarnate's and Totemist's SR so much better: "Turning it off" is a Swift action, and it actually reduces it to the point that your party's buffer can just beat it the normal way with nearly 0% chance of failing.

SR is usually a trap, seeing as it can prevent healing/buffs if you don't spend that action to use it.

In combat healing is the real trap, friend.

rgd20
2011-10-14, 01:24 AM
Scarab of Protection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/scarab-of-protection)

permanent SR is never worth it as you quickly out level the protection it gives you when you can afford it. This is the best of a bad lot I feel

jiriku
2011-10-14, 01:41 AM
As Zaq said, cleric is the way to go. In addition to the actual spell resistance spell, clerics have several spells that offer spell resistance against a narrow class of spells with a specific alignment descriptor. There's even mystic aegis, a 4th-level spell in PH2 that gives you 1 round of spell resistance as an immediate action. There when you need it, gone when you don't. Psions and wilders have access to power resistance, thought shield, and tower of iron will (psychic warriors get thought shield too). These function as spell resistance if magic/psionics transparency is in effect (which it usually is).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-14, 01:54 AM
DMM: Persistent (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#persistentSpell) Reach (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#reachSpell) Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm), with a Bead of Karma active. SR 16 + Level, better than any item or most races will give.

ericgrau
2011-10-14, 01:56 AM
In combat healing is the real trap, friend.
This.

I think people tend to dramatically overestimate the drawbacks and dramatically underestimate the benefits. On average half of spells and SLAs that hit you fail. This is nice. There are ways around the limited drawbacks.

A high level cleric is one way (EDIT: And apparently DMM persist cheese removes the heavy action cost drawback). Other than that I think you're stuck on getting it racially. You might want to be a cleric anyway for low levels so you can heal yourself in emergencies, or have a good pool of HP to give you time to respond. But as hinted at this is rare enough that you can use potions and what not to get to safety.

suhkkaet
2011-10-14, 05:57 AM
If you can convince your DM to allow Create Magic Tattoo as a permanent spell (or, well, a kind of wonderous magic item).
You need CL 13 or higher, but then you get spell resistance of 10 + 1 per 3 caster levels.
Not the best, but it's alright. Especially considering that it's a 2nd level spell. You could get it in a wand, but beware the 100 gp cost per casting.

Basket Burner
2011-10-14, 07:03 AM
If you can convince your DM to allow Create Magic Tattoo as a permanent spell (or, well, a kind of wonderous magic item).
You need CL 13 or higher, but then you get spell resistance of 10 + 1 per 3 caster levels.
Not the best, but it's alright. Especially considering that it's a 2nd level spell. You could get it in a wand, but beware the 100 gp cost per casting.

In other words, at CL 15 you get a SR of... 15. As in things one level lower cannot possibly fail to bypass it even if entirely unoptimized.

It's even worse at other levels.

Slipperychicken
2011-10-14, 07:31 AM
In Pathfinder, Noble Drow get SR 11+level, awesome stats, and (customizable) spell-likes. All without LA or RHD. A few pairs of Sundark Lenses to cover the light vulnerability, and you're set.

Lapak
2011-10-14, 10:50 AM
Incarnates can get respectable SR through the Spellward Shirt, though you'll need at least a couple essentia cap boosters.If you don't have a particular build in mind and don't mind sinking resources into it, this is probably the best 'always on' option. It gives 5+(4*essentia) SR.

If you play an Incarnate, you can get your base soulmeld capacity up to 6. Adding a feat lets you kick one meld up to 7; adding an Incarnum Focus item lets you kick it up to 8. So your SR at 18th level and beyond would be 5+(8*4) = 37, always on. At low levels, you wouldn't be able to get the item but could get the feat if it was your focus; that would put you at SR 13, jumping to 17 at 3rd and 21 at 6th. That's not too shabby either. But it does assume you're sinking significant character resources into it: a feat, one of your soulmelds, and a good chunk of your essentia when you want it 'on.' You can trade that essentia out to other melds when you don't need the SR, though.

EDIT: Slight correction to my first paragraph, there. :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2011-10-14, 11:13 AM
Sureal's List of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff)

Spell Resistance
Monk
Tattoed Monk 7, ecl 12, Complete Warrior, SR = 15+class
Enlightened Fist 9, ecl 14, Complete Arcane, SR = 10 + monk + class
Contemplative 7, ecl 17, Complete Divine, SR = 15 + class
Ur-priest 4, ecl 9, Complete Divine, SR = 15 against divine spells and SLA of outsiders, SR = 20 at level 8
Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries 7, ecl 12, Draconomicon, SR=15+class level
Spellward Shirt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Defiant 1, ecl 6, Planar Handbook, 15+class level, against divine mind affecting spells only, against all divine spells at level 10
Defiant 6, ecl 11, Planar Handbook, bestow SR on target, see text
Warrior of Darkness 8, ecl 13, Book of Vile Darkness, SR 20 (does not improve)
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl 16, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20 (does not improve)
Karsite, race, Tome of Magic, LA +2, SR= 10+class
Bauriar, race, Planar Handbook, LA +1, SR= 10+class
Daazzix's Vest, wondrous item, DMG2, +5 to SR
Boost Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Vile Darkness, +2 to SR (profane)
Gray Hand Enforcer 4, ecl 11, FR: Waterdeep - City of Splendors, SR = 5 + character level
Court Herald 12, ecl 19, Power of Faerun, SR = character level
Mythic Examplar (Ktolemagne) 8, ecl 12, Complete Champion, SR = 10 + arcane caster level
Exalted Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, +4 (untyped) to SR vs spells and SLA of evil outsiders
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl ?, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20
Swanmay 1, ecl 6, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR = 12 + Swanmay levels
Silver Key 5, ecl 8, Dragonmarked, "Sly Soul"
Psychic Refusal, feat, Drow of the Underdark, +4 to SR vs mind-affecting spells and abilities

Special Mention
Spellthief 15 - steal opponent's SR
Undo Resistance, feat, Fiendish Codex II, your sneak attacks lower opponent SR, see text
Eldritch Erotion - feat, Complete Scoundrel, your sneak attacks lower opponent SR, see text
Slayer 8, ecl 12, Expanded Psionics Handbook, each attack lowers power resistance by 1, see text
Demonwreaker 1, ecl 6, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, bonus to overcome SR, automatically beat SR at level 5
Reactive Resistance, feat, Drow of the Underdark, lower SR as an immediate action

dextercorvia
2011-10-14, 08:56 PM
As Zaq said, cleric is the way to go. In addition to the actual spell resistance spell, clerics have several spells that offer spell resistance against a narrow class of spells with a specific alignment descriptor. There's even mystic aegis, a 4th-level spell in PH2 that gives you 1 round of spell resistance as an immediate action. There when you need it, gone when you don't. Psions and wilders have access to power resistance, thought shield, and tower of iron will (psychic warriors get thought shield too). These function as spell resistance if magic/psionics transparency is in effect (which it usually is).

Mystic Aegis, unfortunately, only works against one spell. Otherwise, it would be the way to go with Persistant spell.

jinx1016
2011-10-14, 11:34 PM
drow give 11+HD which is fairly solid (+2LA kinda sucks though)

also in DoTU there is a feat that lets you lower SR as an immediate action.

Keld Denar
2011-10-14, 11:52 PM
Drow's SR sucks if you actually do the math.

So, its HD based, right?

You are a 4th level Drow Fighter. You have SR15. At ECL 6. Your allies are all 6th level non-drow characters.

You fight a group of bad guys lead by an enemy wizard. He's the main challenge, everything else is a mook. Since he's the big bad, for him to be a challenge, he'll probably be about 2 levels higher than your group. That makes him level 8. Thus, his roll to penetrate your SR is 1d20+8 (assuming no other things like Spell Penetration or a Third Eye: Penetrate).

1d20+8 hits SR 15 on a roll of 7+, that means he only misses you on a 1-6, Thats 6 numbers, or 30%. 20% with Spell Penetration or similar abilities. Not terribly great, but THAT bad.

SR is a two edged sword though.

One of your buddies is a cleric. You are in a fight with that wizard's mooks, and you take some damage. Your buddy cleric casts Close Wounds on you to keep you from dropping. He also has to penetrate your SR. He's only 6th level though, and probably doesn't have Spell Penetration (most clerics don't, I find). He's sitting on 1d20+6 to get through your SR. That means he needs a 9+, and a 1-8 fails. Thats a 40% chance that you don't get the sweet sweet healing you need to keep your butt from getting chumped by the mook minion that just got in your face. Those aren't great odds.

Its a combination of the fact that foes are generally slightly higher level than you, and the fact that LA reduces the HD you'd normally have at your level (and SR is generally HD based) that makes Drow SR a not-so-good option (unless you are 9th+ level and can buy off that LA with UA rules).