PDA

View Full Version : Help finding alternate ability

MunsterJujus
2011-10-14, 12:09 AM
I need some help. Basically I have a guy who wants to play a Chaotic Neutral bard that acts as the face guy for the group and in battle plays utility specializing in dismissing Extraplanar creatures when/if they show up (part of his back story). The only problem is I can't seem to find anything to fit the fluff other than the (3) builds below.

(1) Bard 10/Seeker of Song 10 (All the way for Note of Solitude)
(2) Bard 10/Troubadour of Stars 5/X (Weaker NoS that only effects non-good)
or
(3) Bard10/Abjurant Champion 2/Sublime Chord X (Just Swift Abj Dismiss/Banish spells)

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?
Or am I looking at my only options?

Thanks guys,

Greyfell
2011-10-14, 02:00 AM
Try Nar Demonbinder (Unapproachable East, p 25 or so). It's a lot like Sublime chord (accelerated charisma based spellcatsing) but not as good, but with multiple extra abilities added in that help you summon/control/and hurt outsiders instead of musical abilities.

ILM
2011-10-14, 03:56 AM
Well the meat & potatoes of getting rid of Extraplanars is fairly limited. Dismissal, Banishment, Binding (not exactly getting rid, I guess) and the Holy Word spells. Optimize any one of those and you should be good. Holy Word seems like the better options since it carries an automatic -4 to the creature's save, but alas it's cleric only. I'm sure there has to be a way to make it available to your Bard, although I have to ask: are you really set on Bard?

MunsterJujus
2011-10-14, 10:00 AM
Well the meat & potatoes of getting rid of Extraplanars is fairly limited. Dismissal, Banishment, Binding (not exactly getting rid, I guess) and the Holy Word spells. Optimize any one of those and you should be good. Holy Word seems like the better options since it carries an automatic -4 to the creature's save, but alas it's cleric only. I'm sure there has to be a way to make it available to your Bard, although I have to ask: are you really set on Bard?

Yea he is pretty much dead set on Bard. As for the Holy Word thing, Troubadour of the Stars gets basically the same thing at level 5 if I read that correctly, I think I'll suggest that build to him. He wanted to banish good aligned outsiders so I'll just let the spell double as blasphemy should certain situations arise.

ILM
2011-10-14, 11:00 AM
Yea he is pretty much dead set on Bard. As for the Holy Word thing, Troubadour of the Stars gets basically the same thing at level 5 if I read that correctly, I think I'll suggest that build to him. He wanted to banish good aligned outsiders so I'll just let the spell double as blasphemy should certain situations arise.
It's 9th level, and it's completely useless because your CL = class level, i.e. 9. And your player will get the ability at level 18...

Edit: you should be able to do it with Bard/Sublime Chord and the Arcane Disciple feat, but you'll be limited to one version of the spell (unless you allow otherwise, of course), and the Will DC will be low because Wis is unlikely to be your primary stat.

Flickerdart
2011-10-14, 11:12 AM
Try Nar Demonbinder (Unapproachable East, p 25 or so). It's a lot like Sublime chord (accelerated charisma based spellcatsing) but not as good, but with multiple extra abilities added in that help you summon/control/and hurt outsiders instead of musical abilities.
That could work; Bard can get 4th level spells at 10th, so Bard 10/Nar Demonbinder 10 and you're good to go.

A Cleric has lots of stuff for messing with Outsiders, such as the Protection from X line of spells. Initiate of Milil (Champions of Valor) lets your Bard and Cleric level stack for music, so you could have the chocolatey Bard goodness with the chewy 9th level spells centre.

You could also go Prestige Bard, and as long as you bail out before the 13th level you can still get 9th level spells. In fact, you could use Prestige Bard to advance Nar Demonbinder: Nar Demonbinder 1/Prestige Bard 12 gets you the full Nar Demonbinder progression, if that's what you want.