PDA

View Full Version : A new resource...?

Yeturs
2011-10-14, 04:56 AM
So. Skyrim looks awesome. The dragon shout system in the game had me thinking about introducing a system like it in my 3.5 game. I am the DM, so anything goes :P

I would not want to use dragon shouts. What I want is some sort of "Alternative casting" any of my players could use, from the fighter to the wizard. Maybe base it off a skill that everyone has cross class? Or a bonus feat I can give away on a certain quest?

Mainly, Im looking for ideas.

Does the playground have any idea on a sort of alternate casting system? One that does not just replicate spells as SLAs or anything?

Or maybe a system already implemented in another D20 system I could hijack? Maybe something pathfinder (Haven't read the books yet XD)?

Or any fluffy ideas that I could put mechanics to?

Thank you for your wisdom playground!

Tyndmyr
2011-10-14, 05:05 AM
Truenaming seems highly jackable for your purposes.

Fouredged Sword
2011-10-14, 06:27 AM
What do you want this ability to do per say? Buff, damage, utility?

How magical can you allow it to be?

I do say that letting fighters have full levels in the truenamer class would make for interesting characters, but many of the abilities are very magical. If the list was paired down and tweeked a bit it would work alright.

Useing the vitality point system would make the healing/harming effects not as magical. Many of the other effects could be refluffed as EX abilities as well.

Maybe call it Commander of Legend or something. Rather than a new skill, make it key off diplomacy for effecting allies and intimidate for enemies.

I would make it a feat that does three things. First it grants full progression of the ability. Second it makes diplomacy and intimidate class skills. Second it grants a -6 CL penelty to any casting the player has. That should prevent all but the most die hard caster from picking it up.

Then give the melee classes some extra skill points and you should be good to go. Now they can pick up all social skills through feats, the above and martial study. They can use healing and some other buffing / debuffing effcts, and they can still fight in melee.