PDA

View Full Version : lucky factotum

kulosle
2011-10-14, 06:28 AM
So the topic of factotum got brought up in my role playing group and after several trials we decided that the main reason the factotum becomes to powerful is once you get your level 8 surge you then archivist it all the way home (or any number of other crazy combinations). the general agreement was that if a factotum wasn't int based it would be harder to abuse. but what would that look like?

other options
str- makes no sense and letting me add my strength twice to my attack and damage rolls is ridiculous
dex- makes more sense but this almost already exists. it would be a more skillful swashbuckler, or a dex based exemplar
con- makes no sense, lets just end that crazy train right there
wis- makes good sense but what would really be the difference between that and a gestalt monk/ninja or a skilled swordsage
cha- doesn't make as much sense as wis, but it sounded like the most fun so i got challenged to make one.

BAB: ¾
HD: d6
saves: all bad
class skills: all of them
skills points: 6+int
weapon and armor proficiency: light armor and simple weapons

Lucky- inspiration points change to luck points. +1 for each luck feat (instead of fountain of insperation). can activate luck feats with luck point pool.

Trapfinding- works the same

Lucky insight- lets you add your cha to attack and damage rolls and saves for one luck point as a free action

Lucky knowledge- lets you add your class level to each skill day once per day for one luck point

Lucky Defense- same but cha instead of int

Better Lucky than Good- same but cha instead of int

so i have know idea for the spells, probably leave them alone.

Opportunistic Piety will work the some but i want the lay on hands ability to be like the paladins.

Lucky Surge- same as cunning surge

Lucky Breach- same as cunning breach

Lucky dodge- same as cunning dodge

Improved lucky Defense- Improved Cunning Defense

lucky brilliance- same as Cunning Brilliance

and just some other ideas
wish list: luck domain 1st, charisma to saves permanently 13th, more spell choices, no divination magic, extra feats (probably specifically luck feats)

so obviously all the big changes come early on. i know this still needs a lot of work, any advice? i'm looking for a high tier 3. the basic idea of this character is someone who is trying to see how far his luck can take him. he relies on luck for everything so he doesn't have good base saves or hit points. this seams like a hard build to abuse except for maybe the luck pool working for luck feats but then they would have to devote so much to luck feats. tell me what you think and if you have ideas for factotums based off of other stats please share.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-14, 06:35 AM
Honestly, if you're going into archivist starting at your 9th level, you're not broken.

shadow_archmagi
2011-10-14, 02:56 PM
Honestly, if you're going into archivist starting at your 9th level, you're not broken.

Yeah, there really isn't much synergy there. I mean, sure, a couple extra standard actions are nice, but in a fight between a level 12 Wizard (Or better yet, Wizard with some prestige classes. Initiate of the Sevenfold? Abjurant Champion?) and a Fac8/Arc4, I know where my money is.

By the way, your opening paragraph is riddled with spelling and grammatical flaws.

King Atticus
2011-10-14, 03:42 PM
That looks like it's begging for a 2 lvl dip in paladin and cha twice to saves is scary even if the base saves are bad.

JaronK
2011-10-14, 03:45 PM
All you're doing is making it Cha based... and Charisma is even easier to optimize than Int. Consider the Iaijutsu Master for example... adds up to 9*Cha mod to damage when using Iaijutsu Focus. Now look back at the class you just made. Entirely Charisma based Factotum 8/Iaijutsu Master 5 = one shot TKOs all over the place, for three "luck points."

Though I do like Lucky Feats instead of FoI, simply because they're more interesting.

JaronK

kulosle
2011-10-14, 05:49 PM
the thing with archivist was experimented with a quick gestalt build. take the obvious choice of knowledge devotion (we ruled that to bonuses apply to spells), max int and watch your entire party stomp all over groups of monsters.
and this combo just gets more ridiculous as you level.
we were mainly tired of every factotum grabbing knowledge devotion. its harder to grab all the knowledges when you aren't int based.

yeah i'll admit that i didn't think about the Iaijutsu Master, which is already overly abuses factotum. Also the bellflower tattoo of the tattooed monk prestige class in the complete warrior (once per day per tattoo you may add your cha modifer as an enhancement bonus to any state including cha) would definitely be a strong combination, i'm not too sure its abusive though. But aside from those two are there any other ways to abuse this. a dip in paladin would be a nice boost, but definitely not too abusive. cause if not i could simply rule that a factotum doesn't have the focus necessary to take either of those classes.

any opinions of this classes power? still looking for a strong 3T

JaronK
2011-10-14, 11:28 PM
If you're talking Gestalt, then Sorcerer. If you're not, Sublime Chord has suddenly become amazing with the Factotum. Factotum 8/Bard 2/Sublime Chord 10, as a basic concept? And of course Unseelie Fey as a race would be brutal as heck (+2 Cha, -Cha mod to enemy saves, 0LA, and it's a template).

Seriously, Charisma is the easiest thing to make use of. You're only making things worse by shifting it over.

JaronK

NNescio
2011-10-14, 11:48 PM
the thing with archivist was experimented with a quick gestalt build. take the obvious choice of knowledge devotion (we ruled that to bonuses apply to spells), max int and watch your entire party stomp all over groups of monsters.
and this combo just gets more ridiculous as you level.
we were mainly tired of every factotum grabbing knowledge devotion. its harder to grab all the knowledges when you aren't int based.

yeah i'll admit that i didn't think about the Iaijutsu Master, which is already overly abuses factotum. Also the bellflower tattoo of the tattooed monk prestige class in the complete warrior (once per day per tattoo you may add your cha modifer as an enhancement bonus to any state including cha) would definitely be a strong combination, i'm not too sure its abusive though. But aside from those two are there any other ways to abuse this. a dip in paladin would be a nice boost, but definitely not too abusive. cause if not i could simply rule that a factotum doesn't have the focus necessary to take either of those classes.

any opinions of this classes power? still looking for a strong 3T

A class is too powerful because it synergizes well in a gestalt game? A game where most people don't play anyway? And is well known for throwing game balance out of the window?

Seriously, the Factotum is balanced perfectly fine as a T3. It can get a lot of actions, but it doesn't have overtly strong options (high-level spells) to fire with those actions, barring quick spell-progression PrCs that take a while to mature.