PDA

View Full Version : Monster hunting

Doomboy911
2011-10-14, 07:05 AM
Right well the group I'm in has a relatively new dungeon master who is planning a
siege battle (information on that can be found in the heroes of battle right?) part of the battle consists of using giants to storm the wall. But considering the rather puny stature of giants can anyone think of a huge size or larger humanoid for a 3.5 game?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-10-14, 07:09 AM
Cloud and storm giants are Huge size, they certainly put the "Storm" into storming the walls :smallbiggrin:

Parra
2011-10-14, 07:12 AM
Have a looksie at this Site (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/)for all your monster selecting needs

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-14, 07:26 AM
Giants can vary in size, so some might be useful.

They could also bring pet dire rhinoceroses (FF) and wooly mammoths (Fr) (which is what I would do if I were storming a castle.

They could build golems (MM) or ride elite demon war mounts (MM3).

HunterOfJello
2011-10-14, 07:31 AM
Mountain Giants are Colossal douchebags

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-14, 07:40 AM
Mountain Giants are Colossal douchebags

Hostile

If player fails a DC 30 Diplomacy check, will attack.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-14, 07:55 AM
Hostile

If player fails a DC 30 Diplomacy check, will attack.

though he never said what side the PCs where on, and if they where defending or attacking the wall. so not always the best thing to discount offhand

see, what you need to do is use a housecat, and get a wand of epic shrink x and aim it at the city. thus your housecat is larger than the city, and the ultimate tool of terrory doom!

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-14, 08:01 AM
Oh, I wasn't saying the giants were hostile...

Doomboy911
2011-10-14, 06:41 PM
The party is defending giants are attacking.

Keegan__D
2011-10-14, 07:13 PM
Approximate CR?

Doomboy911
2011-10-14, 08:23 PM
We'll most likely be level 8 I'll be playing as a frenzied berserker (the likes of which no man hath ever seen before) so I can handle almost anything.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-14, 08:34 PM
The Geriviar out of the MM3 is basically a huge giant designed for storming walls. So it is exactly what your asking for. But it is CR 19

Metahuman1
2011-10-14, 08:37 PM
Just use Hill giants and have them have support casters using a spell to make them bigger and stronger before sending them to actually hit the walls?

denthor
2011-10-14, 08:49 PM
Right well the group I'm in has a relatively new dungeon master who is planning a
siege battle (information on that can be found in the heroes of battle right?) part of the battle consists of using giants to storm the wall. But considering the rather puny stature of giants can anyone think of a huge size or larger humanoid for a 3.5 game?

If the PC's are defending and they are 9th level 7 giants, plus 200 orcs will wipe them out even if they are attacking all 4 walls.

A Hill giant has about 100 hit points per giant. That is a lot to run thruogh to put one thing down. Put 2 orcs on each PC they are there to hinder. The orcs need to hit AC 10 they can then take two AC points away from the PC the other orc hits AC 10 and gives the giant plus two to attack.

Keep the orcs coming to give the giant a fleeting advantage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0618.html) comic 618

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-15, 04:18 AM
If the PC's are defending and they are 9th level 7 giants, plus 200 orcs will wipe them out even if they are attacking all 4 walls.

A Hill giant has about 100 hit points per giant. That is a lot to run thruogh to put one thing down. Put 2 orcs on each PC they are there to hinder. The orcs need to hit AC 10 they can then take two AC points away from the PC the other orc hits AC 10 and gives the giant plus two to attack.

Keep the orcs coming to give the giant a fleeting advantage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0618.html) comic 618

Whoa, let's slow down a bit. Let's remember they're at the top of a wall. Orcs are going to have trouble flanking them from 30 ft. below.

He said level 8, which means spells are stuck at 4th level. Still, that allows for things like wind wall (200 orcs suddenly don't have much impact on the defenders at the top of the walls).

If they hit level 9, a cloudkill could kill off many, many orcs with no save.

So now we're a party of level 8-9 characters dealing with 7 giants.

If I were in that situation, playing as my psion, I'd time hop a couple (hill giants have terrible will saves) while my astral construct played with a third. Putting up an energy wall in front of us would mean the giants would be taking some damage just to get close to the wall. A nice dominate and suddenly the fight looks more like party + construct + hill giant vs. 4 hill giants. And that's just one character.

I'm not saying it'd be an easy battle, I'm saying there are a lot of variables and the outcome is not guaranteed either way. And I expect that's what PCs want, more than an encounter they will escape with ease.

Doomboy911
2011-10-15, 12:46 PM
Well we'll most likely have four players me playing as a frenzied berserker rushing around the wall taking anyone that's climbing ladders or using ropes and make them fall by flipping the ladders or cutting the ropes. And have the other three focus on cutting down on the giants until they're close enough for me to jump on and kill.

Thurbane
2011-10-15, 07:36 PM
The Athach (MM1) is a huge humanoid(ish) creature of CR8.