PDA

View Full Version : Two DMs, One Player

Angry Bob
2011-10-14, 08:56 AM
A group of mine is resuming a solo campaign that they abandoned shortly before I joined them. As I understand it, the DM had a problem with keeping everything's stats in line. He had a hard time challenging the player, so he would basically run the fights until the player had taken a lot of damage and then have the enemies die. He was a very good actor and storyteller, though, so we hit on an idea: He still runs the story and plays the villains, while I build, optimize, and run whatever encounters he needs.

Any advice for keeping everything running smoothly? Has anyone here done something like this before? What potential problems unique to this scenario should be watched out for?

Anxe
2011-10-14, 09:00 AM
Why don't you be a player?

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 11:12 AM
Sounds kind of difficult. You only really need more than one DM for a lot of players. Heck, at least two. Otherwise it's two DMs for one person. One of them is not gonna have something to do. I'd go with just making it two PC and one DM, or finding a second PC.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-14, 11:17 AM
Sounds kind of difficult. You only really need more than one DM for a lot of players. Heck, at least two. Otherwise it's two DMs for one person. One of them is not gonna have something to do. I'd go with just making it two PC and one DM, or finding a second PC.

Yeah, there we go. Two DMs for one players is a bit much, yeah. Teach him how CRs and ECLs work. Make sure he's aware that it's ok for players to need to run sometimes, and to occasionally obliterate the enemy. Variety is fantastic.

Perhaps take turns DMing.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 01:05 PM
Yeah, there we go. Two DMs for one players is a bit much, yeah. Teach him how CRs and ECLs work. Make sure he's aware that it's ok for players to need to run sometimes, and to occasionally obliterate the enemy. Variety is fantastic.

Yeah. If the one guy knows plot and story, then all you have to do is teach him about D&D stuff and he'll be fine. Really, the other guy doesn't really have much purpose other than knowing the rules which can be taught in an afternoon. So he's better to just let the plot guy handle plot so he can go PC.