PDA

View Full Version : Overlord- or Pikmin-styled games

Gaius Marius
2011-10-14, 09:57 AM
I just loved Overlord. The gameplay is a very interesting mix of action and strategy. The 2nd game had even more intricated strategic challenges.

I also loved the fact you could step in and be a difference maker during fights, either by boosting your minions, doing AoE damaging spells or just whack the hell out of the ennemies.

I heard Pikmin was very similar in general gameplay, but I am not sure if you could actually join the fight of your minions in that game.

I was wondering if anyone knew of other games with similar gameplay. I'd think a grittier version of Overlord, with a player as a Necromancer would probably have a lot of potential. I am just wondering why we don't see much more of these games...?

Sipex
2011-10-14, 11:01 AM
Well, there's always Overlord 2.

Pikmin is less on the gritty side (of course) and Olimar (your character) typically doesn't fight, instead throwing the pikmin into battle, maneuvering them and calling retreat at tactical times.

There's also Little King's Story which is also not all that gritty but it is challenging. Unfortunately you don't really participate in battle either, instead tactically arranging and sending in a large variety of forces.

You could try Brutal Legend (360), a game set in the a metal (music) themed warring world. It starts off making you think it's a generic hack'n'slash clone until the actually core of the game starts, stage battles.

Stage battles are kind of like a simpler RTS game but you're consistantly in the action playing a general who can team up with forces for special attacks, cast spells (songs) which all have different effects or simply wail on enemies alongside your units.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-14, 12:45 PM
Majesty is more like a sim game with indirectly-controlled RPG heroes, but it's similar to what you're describing. It's also really good and different.