PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sneak Attack

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-10-14, 10:25 AM
I have Arcane Trickster 10, which means I get sneak attack on flat footed targets with spells. If I fire 3 Scorching Rays at someone, will I get sneak attack on each ray?

Sneak attack:
The rogue’s attack deals extra damage anytime her
target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether
the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when
the rogue f lanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6
at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels
thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a
sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged
attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is
within 30 feet.

Each ray requires an attack roll, so RAW would suggest that every ray would deal an extra xd6 sneak attack [Fire] damage.

Grommen
2011-10-14, 11:45 AM
As far as I know...You are correct.

glennfrogknight
2011-10-14, 12:44 PM
Complete Arcane discusses this. You will get a sneak attack on the first attack roll of a spell that has multiple, and not any others.

So you'd get 1 sneak attack ray, and the rest would be just 4d6.

You could argue Greater Manyshot might let you get sneak attack on every ray, but technically it doesn't allow it, it just probably should. You should also look at Unseen Seer if you want a rogue/wizard combo (or spellthief/wizard/unseen seer with master spellthief feat).

Zherog
2011-10-14, 12:47 PM
Except Complete Arcane isn't a Pathfinder source...

Fax Celestis
2011-10-14, 01:37 PM
Except Complete Arcane isn't a Pathfinder source...

..and the CArc ruling is pretty dumb anyway. What I always tell my players is "you can sneak attack once per attack roll."

Threeshades
2011-10-14, 01:41 PM
..and the CArc ruling is pretty dumb anyway. What I always tell my players is "you can sneak attack once per attack roll."
Yeah I would go with that.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-14, 01:47 PM
That is my take too. More then one attack roll equals more then one sneak attack. So Rapid Shot yes, Manyshot no.

DrDeth
2011-10-14, 03:08 PM
I agree. But two things of note- if you are attacking from Invisible, then it looks like only the first attack gets the SA.

And being just hidden, whether from Stealth or HiPS, does not (under the current RAW) make your foe lose his DEX bonus. The RAW may be changing for this, see the Paizo blog.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-14, 03:28 PM
And being just hidden, whether from Stealth or HiPS, does not (under the current RAW) make your foe lose his DEX bonus. The RAW may be changing for this, see the Paizo blog.

:smallconfused:

Unaware Combatants

Combatants who are unaware at the start of battle don't get to act in the surprise round. Unaware combatants are flat-footed because they have not acted yet, so they lose any Dexterity bonus to AC.

DrDeth
2011-10-14, 03:53 PM
Absolutely, foes do lose their DEX bonus if they have not yet acted in a round. However, if after they have acted, you attack from hidden (by stealth or HiPS) they do not lose their dex.

Jeraa
2011-10-14, 06:20 PM
While there isn't something official either way, James Jacobs has said he would allow sneak attack with each ray.

So until there is an official ruling either way, the general rules for sneak attack apply - anything requiring an attack roll can qualify for sneak attack. 3 rays from scorching ray, 3 sneak attacks.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-14, 06:51 PM
While there isn't something official either way, James Jacobs has said he would allow sneak attack with each ray.

So until there is an official ruling either way, the general rules for sneak attack apply - anything requiring an attack roll can qualify for sneak attack. 3 rays from scorching ray, 3 sneak attacks.
Can I get source on that?
Because oh man oh man, oh man, now I really, really want to build that Crossblodded Dragon/Elemental Sorcerer/Rogue/Arcane Trickster.
Greater Invisibility plus Quicken Scorching Ray plus normal Scorching Ray. +2 to each dice and at later levels, +4 on the sneak attack fire damage dice.
So much Fire Damage, So Very, Very Much!