PDA

View Full Version : What's higher than a Ph.D?

enderlord99
2011-10-14, 12:13 PM
I mean, "Dr. Epic" is less awesome than Welknair (though still incredibly awesome, as befits his degree), and I really want to know what Welknair's college degree is.

Eldan
2011-10-14, 12:26 PM
Well, I don't know about the American system, but around here, it would be Lecturer, Assistant Professor and Professor, in that order. Though those are more job descrptions than titles, apart from the Prof.

arguskos
2011-10-14, 12:43 PM
Well, I don't know about the American system, but around here, it would be Lecturer, Assistant Professor and Professor, in that order. Though those are more job descrptions than titles, apart from the Prof.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the next step is to get a professorship, which is both a title and a job in one. That'd be where I'd go with it, anyways.

After professor, uh, something like Provost or President would be the next step, I guess, and after that there really isn't anything I can think of, academic title-wise.

Kneenibble
2011-10-14, 12:44 PM
Professor Emeritus. The Grand Wizards of the Ivory Tower.

pffh
2011-10-14, 12:44 PM

After professor, uh, something like Provost or President would be the next step, I guess, and after that there really isn't anything I can think of, academic title-wise.

God Emperor of knowledge.

Eldan
2011-10-14, 12:45 PM
There's the Emeritus, but I thought you couldn't really earn that one.

At that stage, it's mostly comparing publications and awards.

Kneenibble
2011-10-14, 12:46 PM
Being published and awards are earned.

Actually in Canada, at least, it's the title for semi-retired professors.

@v But then you could say that about any degree, too. One is published based on their expertise, authority, and capability in their field (and one would hope, in writing).

arguskos
2011-10-14, 12:49 PM
Being published and awards are earned.
One could argue that publication isn't earned, but granted by another.

Awards do tend to be earned though (they pretty rarely give prestigious awards to tosspots, at least as far as I've noticed).

I do think that Professor Emeritus (good catch, Knee), Provost, and President of the University are probably the kings of the castle though.

Emperor Ing
2011-10-14, 12:54 PM
Omniscient Overlord of all Time and Space?

valadil
2011-10-14, 01:05 PM
I think there's also postdoc, associate professor, and tenured professor. Arguably dean would be higher than professor.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 01:07 PM
I mean, "Dr. Epic" is less awesome than Welknair (though still incredibly awesome, as befits his degree), and I really want to know what Welknair's college degree is.

You've made a powerful enemy this day.:smallannoyed:

Nah, I'm just glad I'm known well enough people can reference me in a thread I haven't even posted in yet.:smallwink::smalltongue:

industrious
2011-10-14, 01:10 PM
Nobel Laureate. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 01:13 PM
Nobel Laureate. :smalltongue:

More like Evil League of Evil.:smallwink::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-10-14, 01:18 PM
Professor Emeritus. The Grand Wizards of the Ivory Tower.

this made my day

High Librarian is another good one :smallcool: ook

thubby
2011-10-14, 01:42 PM
after phd, you stop being addressed by a title. you re-earn your name, but with all the phd's appended to it

Gorgondantess
2011-10-14, 01:44 PM
Awards do tend to be earned though (they pretty rarely give prestigious awards to tosspots, at least as far as I've noticed).

Really? I've noticed that, in recent years, they pretty much only give prestigious awards to tosspots.:smallannoyed::smallsigh:
Also, I thought emeritus is only awarded to retired profs? That doesn't necessarily mean they're higher up, except in the (likely) inherent wisdom that comes with age and experience.
Really, when it comes to degrees, there's nothing higher than a Ph.D. You officially love wisdom. It's in the title. It's on you, then, to do what you will with that.

enderlord99
2011-10-14, 02:06 PM

Why? Is there something wrong with losing an awesomeness contest (that isn't really a contest) with the embodiment of awesome? Even if it barely happens?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-14, 02:08 PM
Omniscient Overlord of all Time and Space?
NOPE! Just Chuck Testa. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJP1DphOWPs)

Mystic Muse
2011-10-14, 02:12 PM

"It's a brand new day, yeah the sun is high, all the angels sing because you're gonna die"? :smalltongue:

Telonius
2011-10-14, 02:17 PM
One could argue that publication isn't earned, but granted by another.

I do think that Professor Emeritus (good catch, Knee), Provost, and President of the University are probably the kings of the castle though.

There is one rank above President, but "Coach Paterno" is kind of an anomaly.

KenderWizard
2011-10-14, 03:04 PM
Being so that everyone just knows your name and it's synonymous with "clever"; ie, Einstein.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 04:10 PM
Why? Is there something wrong with losing an awesomeness contest (that isn't really a contest) with the embodiment of awesome? Even if it barely happens?

Apparently yes.:smallwink:

"It's a brand new day, yeah the sun is high, all the angels sing because you're gonna die"? :smalltongue:

What the heck are you talking about?:smallconfused:

Icewalker
2011-10-14, 04:54 PM
A professor isn't as much somebody who has studied further in the way a Ph.D. is someone who has studied more than someone with a Bachelor's or Master's. Professor is more like a Ph.D. who teaches.

So, in terms of achieving academic certificates, what's higher than a Ph.D.? Two Ph.D.s!

Mystic Muse
2011-10-14, 04:57 PM
What the heck are you talking about?:smallconfused:

Lyrics from my favorite song from Dr. Horrible's sing along blog. Though "Bad Horse" comes pretty close.

Kneenibble
2011-10-14, 05:08 PM
A professor isn't as much somebody who has studied further in the way a Ph.D. is someone who has studied more than someone with a Bachelor's or Master's. Professor is more like a Ph.D. who teaches.

So, in terms of achieving academic certificates, what's higher than a Ph.D.? Two Ph.D.s!

Well, strictly speaking, a professor is somebody who has stayed with an institution long enough and capably enough to earn tenure, having sufficient intimacy and engagement with their discipline to be hired in the first place, and having continued to produce within their discipline via publications and conferences since that act and outside of merely teaching classes. If you haven't earned tenure, you are not technically a Professor. So Professor is a (dearly) earned title which, generally, is a step after Ph.D. - since not all Ph.D.s become Professors.

Welknair
2011-10-14, 05:21 PM
Nah, I'm just glad I'm known well enough people can reference me in a thread I haven't even posted in yet.:smallwink::smalltongue:

I know what you mean :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 05:28 PM
Lyrics from my favorite song from Dr. Horrible's sing along blog. Though "Bad Horse" comes pretty close.

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. It's not like my screen name is based on a pop culture reference. It's completely original.:smallwink:

Deathslayer7
2011-10-14, 05:38 PM
Seeing as I work in an American University, it goes something like this, although these aren't necessarily educational titles but rather work experience.

Assistant Professor
Associate Professor
Professor

Note that there is about a 2-3 year term before they advance to the next step.
Beyond that, it is debatable. Emeritus is a term more for retired professors that still continue to teach rather than a title.

I would say Director (this could literally be of anything but is usually awarded to Professors who do lots of research and bring in lots of money), Chair (head of a specific department and all professors in it. Voted for by all professors and if he does a bad job, they can bring him down and place someone else as chair) and then Dean (which is usually given to Professors or Chairs when the job opening becomes available) come next. From there you get up into the Provost department which houses the President and whatnot. Not so familiar with that department.

rogueboy
2011-10-14, 07:02 PM

Paterno is, very truly, akin unto a god at Penn State (or actually is a god, depending on who you ask and how drunk they are at the time :smallbiggrin:). 62 years coaching a Big 10 football program, 24 bowl victories (highest ever) including every major bowl at least once (only coach to do so), 2 national championships, 5 perfect seasons (4 without a national championship), 29 top 10 national rankings, over 400 wins, and half the main library named after him... There's a reason for his (near-)god status here, even among us non-football fanatics.

Also, yes, Emeritus Professor is a title for semi-retired (or fully retired, in some cases) faculty everywhere I've seen the title used.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-14, 07:10 PM
Doctor Professor. :smalltongue:

rogueboy
2011-10-14, 08:07 PM
Doctor Professor. :smalltongue:

Actually, that reminds me that there are MD/PhD programs. Certainly could be argued to be a step above a "simple" PhD. I've actually got a cousin who's in year 2 of his MD portion of that (he did the PhD first).

Mystic Muse
2011-10-15, 12:27 AM
Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. It's not like my screen name is based on a pop culture reference. It's completely original.:smallwink:

I just thought maybe you'd forgotten about that line. Just making sure.

And now I leave before I derail this thread more.

Kindablue
2011-10-15, 01:35 AM

I know a guy with four or five master's degrees--does anyone know the exchange rate to PhD?

Tirian
2011-10-15, 01:52 AM
I know a guy with four or five master's degrees--does anyone know the exchange rate to PhD?

Timewise, it's about two to one. Prestige-wise, forget about it.

rogueboy
2011-10-15, 10:59 AM
Timewise, it's about two to one. Prestige-wise, forget about it.

Depends on the program, actually. It's closer to 3:1 in chemistry (~6yrs for a PhD, 2 for a MS).

Arminius
2011-10-15, 11:15 AM
Someone with a Ph.D. in Horticultural Science who uses his skills to grow weed.

I've been trying to resist making this joke since the thread started. I feel better now.

Ronfar
2011-10-15, 11:21 AM
In some European countries, there actually is a degree (of sorts) that comes after a doctorate. It's called an habilitation (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-habilitation.htm).

Moff Chumley
2011-10-16, 11:51 AM
Someone with a Ph.D. in Horticultural Science who uses his skills to grow weed.

I've been trying to resist making this joke since the thread started. I feel better now.

Fun fact: this is why Humboldt State University is technically the most prestigious school in America. :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2011-10-16, 03:16 PM
Wouldn't an ScD be higher than a PhD? I know you can get one, but I rarely see them.

lesser_minion
2011-10-19, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't an ScD be higher than a PhD? I know you can get one, but I rarely see them.

I believe that's a comparable qualification, only acquired by different means.

In any event, isn't becoming a fellow or a companion in a professional institution a bigger deal than picking up a doctorate?

Eldan
2011-10-20, 03:48 AM
ScD... Science Doctor? :smallconfused:

The Succubus
2011-10-20, 03:53 AM
A ladder.

Most Ph.D's tend to be A4 sized but a good ladder can be several metres high.

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-20, 05:26 AM
Actually, that reminds me that there are MD/PhD programs. Certainly could be argued to be a step above a "simple" PhD. I've actually got a cousin who's in year 2 of his MD portion of that (he did the PhD first).This would be on par with "two Ph.D's". One degree is Doctor of Medicine and the other degree is Doctor of Philosophy, but both are the seminal degree in that field of study (in the US, other countries apparently have sytems of higher doctorates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_doctorate#Higher_doctorates)).

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-20, 05:35 AM
This would be on par with "two Ph.D's". One degree is Doctor of Medicine and the other degree is Doctor of Philosophy, but both are the seminal degree in that field of study (in the US, other countries apparently have sytems of higher doctorates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_doctorate#Higher_doctorates)).

Which would be on equal terms as someone with a JD and a Ph.D? :smallconfused:

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-20, 05:53 AM
Which would be on equal terms as someone with a JD and a Ph.D? :smallconfused:Aye. A JD is the only other doctoral level degree I can think of in the US. I'm not entirely sure why lawyers and medical doctors get their own singled out doctorate and everyone else just gets a generic "not a doctor or a lawyer" doctorate.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-20, 06:01 AM
Aye. A JD is the only other doctoral level degree I can think of in the US. I'm not entirely sure why lawyers and medical doctors get their own singled out doctorate and everyone else just gets a generic "not a doctor or a lawyer" doctorate.

*shrug*

They're common, but are still more specialized, then other fields?

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-20, 06:14 AM
*shrug*

They're common, but are still more specialized, then other fields?I'm sure it's something like that. I think they ought to at least differentiate broad specializations, though, like they do at the Masters level. I.E. there should be a different degree for a liberal arts Ph.D than there is for a sciences Ph.D. As it stands, without asking, someone with a Ph.D in chemistry is indistinguishable from someone with a Ph.D in history.

Eldan
2011-10-20, 06:35 AM
Aye. A JD is the only other doctoral level degree I can think of in the US. I'm not entirely sure why lawyers and medical doctors get their own singled out doctorate and everyone else just gets a generic "not a doctor or a lawyer" doctorate.

Tradition, simply. In the European universities, philosophy, theology, law and, a bit later, medicine where the only available degrees.

lesser_minion
2011-10-20, 08:02 AM
I believe the norm is for Doctor of Philosophy (and, IIRC, Master of Philosophy) to be awarded for research in basically any subject -- you can get Doctor of Engineering (EngD) and a few other subjects as well, but they're taught, IIRC.

Ashtar
2011-10-20, 08:20 AM
The correct ranking is (lowest to highest)
Bachelor
Master's thesis -> Master of ...
Doctoral thesis -> Ph D. in ... or Dr.
Thesis for habilitation -> Privatdozent (abbreviated PD, P.D. or Priv.-Doz.) or Private lecturer. This means they are able to teach at the respective institution, and may advise master and PhD theses. They become professors upon getting a tenured position.

When a position becomes available somewhere you become a Prof., if you never become a full professor, you keep your PD title. For example, my boss is a PD Dr. of Mathematics who left before getting a full professorship (i.e. a position at the university) to build his own company, hence PD Dr.

MikelaC1
2011-10-20, 12:45 PM
You start gaining ranks in being a disciple of O-chul.

THAC0
2011-10-20, 01:09 PM

We have a winner!

THAC0
2011-10-20, 01:11 PM
Paterno is, very truly, akin unto a god at Penn State (or actually is a god, depending on who you ask and how drunk they are at the time :smallbiggrin:). 62 years coaching a Big 10 football program, 24 bowl victories (highest ever) including every major bowl at least once (only coach to do so), 2 national championships, 5 perfect seasons (4 without a national championship), 29 top 10 national rankings, over 400 wins, and half the main library named after him... There's a reason for his (near-)god status here, even among us non-football fanatics.

Totally off topic, but hubby and I used to work traffic at football games. One time he actually pulled Joe Paterno over! Didn't recognize the car, until JoePa got out and started yelling "I gotta get through, I gotta get through!"

enderlord99
2011-10-20, 08:06 PM
A ladder.

Most Ph.D's tend to be A4 sized but a good ladder can be several metres high.

...What meaning of "Ph.D" are you using?

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-20, 08:45 PM
...What meaning of "Ph.D" are you using?Referring to the actual piece of paper rather than the degree it represents. It was a funny. :smallcool:

TimeWizard
2011-10-21, 07:28 PM
Originally, tenure was given, not awarded, to protect academics from the negative reaction to their findings- a (wo)man who proves something controversial would not be fired from an offended school.

Asta Kask
2011-10-22, 07:45 AM
A Ph. E.

Silly question.

The Extinguisher
2011-10-22, 10:55 AM
I suppose being The Doctor is higher up than being a doctor.

Das Platyvark
2011-10-22, 09:23 PM
Mind-in-Mind.

enderlord99
2011-10-22, 09:39 PM
A Ph. E.

Silly question.

What's higher than a Ph. Z., then? A Ph. AA.?

Artemis97
2011-10-22, 10:20 PM
You could get yourself knighted as one Sir Professor Dr. Terry Pratchett

The Succubus
2011-10-23, 11:00 AM
What's higher than a Ph. Z., then? A Ph. AA.?

I know someone who has a doctorate in Adult Film Production. She has a Ph. DD.