PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pretty Sick

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-10-14, 12:34 PM
When I woke up this morning, there was blood in my throat. I was worried for a bit, but then just blamed it on my sinuses. When taking a shower, I was suddenly overcome by dizziness and nausea, and spent the next hour curled up in a fetal position puking. Once I had summoned enough energy, I made myself some tea and now I'm feeling mostly better.

This is a bit scary.

UPDATE: As it turns out, I just have a really bad flu. The blood in my throat was a result of my sinuses bleeding due to dry air.

thubby
2011-10-14, 12:35 PM
doctor, now.
blood is never good, and sudden anything is bad.

Haruki-kun
2011-10-14, 12:37 PM
Dude, go to a hospital. That's NOT normal.

Giggling Ghast
2011-10-14, 12:38 PM
Oh God! Go to an emergency room! :smalleek:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-10-14, 01:06 PM
Google says throat bleeding can just the the result of dry air. I haven't bled anymore, and my stomach is feeling mostly better, so I probably just have the flu. I am dizzy, though. I should probably take it easy.

Nix Nihila
2011-10-14, 01:10 PM
Still, I would recommend seeing a doctor.

shawnhcorey
2011-10-14, 01:25 PM
SEE. DOCTOR. NOW.

Don't take a chance. It might be something trivial and then, it might not. Don't get dead before you're sorry.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 01:28 PM
doctor, now.
blood is never good, and sudden anything is bad.

Agreed. Blood is the sign to seek higher medical advice. And dizziness and nausea also add to this argument. Find a friend and have them take you to a doctor ASAP.

Tavar
2011-10-14, 01:36 PM
And, as much as Google can sometimes be a useful source, this is one of those times that you shouldn't trust it. Neither you nor Google are licensed medical professionals.

Mono Vertigo
2011-10-14, 01:47 PM
Forget Google. Seriously. Do as everyone said, and SEE A DOCTOR.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-14, 01:52 PM
Google says throat bleeding can just the the result of dry air. I haven't bled anymore, and my stomach is feeling mostly better, so I probably just have the flu. I am dizzy, though. I should probably take it easy.

Google is not a licensed professional and neither are you.

Go see a doctor now.

Keld Denar
2011-10-14, 01:56 PM
I will say this...google is useful for finding a doctor in your neighborhood.

Also, walk-in clinics, emergency rooms, and other licsensed healthcare practitioners.

The Succubus
2011-10-14, 01:58 PM
I deal with dizziness symptoms as part of my job and whenever a patient presents to me with dizziness or vertigo symptoms they are *ALWAYS* referred on to a consultant.

Screw Google - if you read it for long enough you'll convince yourself you have everything from leprosy to bubonic plague. See a doctor. Now. :smallannoyed:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-10-14, 02:07 PM
Echoing everybody else: Go to a doctor. NOW.

Arminius
2011-10-14, 02:50 PM
Just to add my voice to the chorus. See a doctor, now!

Blood where blood shouldn't be, and vomiting for an hour does not sound minor. See a doctor.

Titanium Fox
2011-10-14, 02:52 PM
Go to a doctor. Seriously. WebMD and Google are great resources as suppliments, but someone who isn't trained using them to diagnose is like someone who's never seen a car before and googles "makes funny sounds" to figure out what's wrong and try to fix it.

The Doctor has had the training, and knows what's going on. You don't. What you described is extremely serious. Please see a Doctor ASAP.

DwarvenExodus
2011-10-14, 02:54 PM
:eek:

You should really, REALLY see a doctor about that, even if it only seems like a just-in-case precaution.

KenderWizard
2011-10-14, 02:59 PM
Just in case it hasn't been said enough: go to a doctor or health centre or hospital or something! I've been hurried to doctors for things less likely to be something badly wrong than blood in my throat!

Maxios
2011-10-14, 03:08 PM
If everything said on Google is true, Elvis Presley is still alive and lizard-men rule the earth. Go see a doctor!

pendell
2011-10-14, 03:16 PM
Well, I'll just add my prayers. The board consensus is clear and resounding.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Asthix
2011-10-14, 03:18 PM
Remember, the power of positive thinking can be the best medicine!

Just know that there are a ton of people here who support you no matter what! :smallsmile:

pendell
2011-10-14, 03:26 PM
Remember, the power of positive thinking can be the best medicine!

With respect, that's not actually true (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/993506/power-of-positive-thinking-debunked).

See also here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/09/stop-positive-thinking-st_n_228629.html). There are more studies out there as well : Positive thinking *by itself* is not helpful and may even be harmful.

Just know that there are a ton of people here who support you no matter what! :smallsmile:

This I agree with completely!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

KenderWizard
2011-10-14, 04:07 PM
I've generally found, through a myriad of interesting illnesses, that medicine is, in fact, the best medicine. Followed by laughter. But definitely actual doctor medicine is the best way to get better.

Lateral
2011-10-14, 08:12 PM
Doctor. Now. You.

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-14, 08:20 PM
I feel very pathetic for being troubled by this little cold I have, now.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-10-14, 08:20 PM
I don't go to the Doctor, but I did call a family member who has a medical degree. They say the blood in my throat was just my sinuses bleeding due to cold, dry air; and that I only have the flu. I puked some more, but I've been getting progressively better.

golentan
2011-10-14, 08:24 PM
I don't go to the Doctor, but I did call a family member who has a medical degree. They say the blood in my throat was just my sinuses bleeding due to cold, dry air; and that I only have the flu. I puked some more, but I've been getting progressively better.

Please go see a doctor anyway? For me? Someone who can actually physically check on you.

Howler Dagger
2011-10-14, 08:24 PM

still, DOCTOR TIME.

Lemonus
2011-10-14, 08:31 PM
29th verse, same as the first. Go see a doctor.

Mono Vertigo
2011-10-15, 04:45 AM
Doctors who also are family members are biased. Why? Because they're family members.
Go see another doctor who isn't related to you and who isn't the Internet.

Asta Kask
2011-10-15, 06:53 AM
Fun fact: people who are close to a doctor have a slightly shorter lifespan than the average person because they don't go to see non-close doctors.

Valameer
2011-10-15, 08:58 AM
I'm... going to go against the grain and not suggest you instantly see a doctor (unless you want some anti-biotics, which you probably don't need).

The blood in the throat may be shocking, but it's more likely because you had a nosebleed in the night that drained into your throat instead of anything more drastic. Perhaps if the air in your house is very dry at night you should seriously consider using a humidifier. It could prevent further bleeding in the night due to dryness.

Keep an eye on your upset stomach, and go to a doctor if it doesn't seem to get better. Drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated. Get lots of rest. Hope you feel better soon, it sounds like that was a crappy way to start your day.

KenderWizard
2011-10-15, 09:40 AM
Fun fact: people who are close to a doctor have a slightly shorter lifespan than the average person because they don't go to see non-close doctors.

That's kinda scary!

My concern is, since you don't seem very concerned, you're likely to downplay symptoms when you describe them, even without meaning to, the same way someone who's totally convinced they've got some horrible disease or a kid trying to get off school can describe their symptoms so they sound really serious. That's why, even in this modern age when we can do our grocery shopping online, we still go see real doctors in person. If you really really don't want to go to the doctor for some reason, can you at least see the family member in person?

Kjata
2011-10-15, 10:22 AM
I just realized your from Canada. I'm fairly ignorant about Canada, but this iss basically what I "know."

It's basically America with less military and free health insurance.

So unless I'm way off... go to the doctor.

dehro
2011-10-15, 11:08 AM
I've spent the last 2 days looking a bit like a zombie..because of flu, nasty cough and sore throath
luck has it I can work from home..which isn't really that much luck because it means I get to work when I'm sick too..
I don't go to the doctor usually.. and I never take any kind of drug or medicine if not basically ordered by the doctor I go to, when I go..

but then...I don't cough up blood, usually.. or..ever.

so..eh...you don't go to the doctor on principle, do I understand this correctly??
If that's the case...refusing on principle to go to a doctor but relying on the guesstimate offered by a relative on the phone who, I understand has a degree but isn't a practicing doctor... (just a hunch..if he was a practicing doctor I'm guessing you'd have said so)

...let's just say..not very smart.. and leave it at that.
I'll probably get some criticism for this...but my sympathy towards your plight is waning..

..that said, I do wish you get better soon and that the remotely obtained diagnosys turns out to be correct.