PDA

View Full Version : Bladebound Magus and Natural weapons.

Mockingbird
2011-10-14, 01:55 PM
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever thought of, but here we go..
I found this archetype for Magus called Bladebound, where you have sort of a weapon familiar. It says it must be a one-handed slashing weapon, rapier, or sword cane. From my understanding, Claws are one-handed slashing weapons. So are there any rules against this? It'd be pretty awesome to be a kobold who has a magical link to his hand.. :P

Coidzor
2011-10-14, 01:58 PM
Doublecheck to make sure they're not counted as light.

And that you're ok with them making either red right hand jokes or jokes about you dating it. :smalltongue:

Mockingbird
2011-10-14, 09:04 PM
Doublecheck to make sure they're not counted as light.

And that you're ok with them making either red right hand jokes or jokes about you dating it. :smalltongue:

If they were to say this, I would tell them to talk to the hand. :smallsmile:

Also, it's hard to tell, I read this from another post about natural weapons-

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41129

Also remember that natural weapons are considered Light for the purposes of Weapon Finesse, but are also considered One-Handed for the purposes of Power Attack.

Mockingbird
2011-10-24, 08:25 PM
Even if this is possible, though, I think the PC would take hit points from the ability to teleport your weapon away from you.. It'd be painful for your hand to suddenly disappear and reappear miles away.. :p

Darrin
2011-10-24, 10:53 PM
It says it must be a one-handed slashing weapon, rapier, or sword cane. From my understanding, Claws are one-handed slashing weapons.

It's in an odd place (under the Weapon Finesse feat rather than the MM section on natural weapons), but natural weapons are defined as light weapons by default:

"Natural weapons are always considered light weapons."

This appears to be the general rule. The Power Attack feat has an exception, though:

"You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies."

For most DM's, it's not really worth the bother to go into all of the weird inconsistencies with natural weapons and unarmed strikes. If you can get your DM to treat it as one-handed, then go for it.