PDA

View Full Version : Building my first PF character

goblingravy
2011-10-14, 02:43 PM
Basically, this guy is currently a half-elf ranger 1. I haven't played him yet, but he's kind of a tracker, he even has a magnifying glass. I plan on having him possibly take levels in rogue, more ranger, assassin, and maybe even a bard/druid. Suggestions on a competent build?

navar100
2011-10-14, 02:47 PM
Friendly reminder: Anyone can track. Rangers get a class bonus to their Survival check to track. Not saying don't play a ranger, just reminding you don't have to be a ranger in Pathfinder to track.

Playing a ranger or not, if tracking is very important to you Skill Focus (Survival) will help. Pathfinder Skill Focus is an improved version over 3E Skill Focus and worth the feat if a particular skill is important enough to you.

goblingravy
2011-10-14, 03:53 PM
I sort of meant that I wanted to branch into an assassin type and was wondering what levels to take in the classes i listed. Thanks! I already have skill focus stealth.

Larpus
2011-10-14, 05:41 PM
Another thing, more often than not, Pathfinder has given you enough shinnies so it's usually a better idea to stay within one class for as long as possible instead of multiclassing as if there is no tomorrow.

Not saying that you should never multiclass, far from that, but usually just dipping (or even not at all) nets you more in the long run. Even Prestige Classes are somewhat discouraged by the system.

As navar mentioned, anyone can track, so if that is your sole reason to pick Ranger, I'd go with something else, if you did it for the BAB, a Fighter or Barbarian will probably give you more too.

Also, note that Rogue has a nice synergy with the Vivisectionist, an Alchemist archetype that gains sneak attack (stacking with Rogue levels), so if you'd like to have some magical powers, a mini-rage potion and couple other toys, it's a pretty good pick.