PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PrC, PEACH] The Legend

mikkelsr
2011-10-14, 04:56 PM
Please be gentle, it's my first attempt at a homebrew class :) I can't decide what the capstone ability should be, so I'm definitely open to suggestions on that, as well as any other suggestions you guys may have, so fire away!

The Legend -

“Don't you know who I am!? I am the hero of Blackriver Gorge, Knight Exemplar of the Brotherhood of the Sacred Sword, and Leader of the Free Men of the Unified Realms! I have done more to protect you and your people in five years than your Emperor. You owe me your thanks!”

James DeLiss, Human Legend

Sometimes, it pays to have everyone know your name. The Legend is an unstoppable force, a hero of the people. Everyone knows his name and falls over themselves to be in his presence. But his fame does not come without a price, as every success and failure is magnified in the public eye.

Hit Die: d6

Requirements:

To qualify to become the Legend, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
Alignment: Any good
Skills: Diplomacy 24 ranks
Feats: Leadership, Epic Leadership
Special: Must have taken a major part in at least three events that impact at least 5,000 people at once.

Class Skills:

The Legend's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (All) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Slight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill points at each level: 6 + Intelligence Modifer

Class Features:

BAB: Average
Fort Save: Good
Ref Save: Poor
Will Save: Good

All of the following are class features of the Legend prestige class:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Legend gains no additional proficiency with any armor or weapons.

Public Support (Ex): The Legend is a hero of great renown to the common folk. In order to curry favor or show their support, the people are always willing to provide for The Legend. In a eating or drinking establishment where The Legend is recognized and revered, all of his meals and drinks are provided free of charge. In addition, The Legend never has to pay for lodging, as innkeepers vie for his presence in their establishments.

The Man (Ex): Because of their confidence in their own abilities, The Legend is not subject to effects that would shake lesser men's resolve. At 1st level, The Legend becomes immune to all fear effects.

Follow Me (Ex): At 2nd level, more and more people flock to The Legend's banner. He gains a bonus to his Leadership score equal to his class level.

A Legend Makes His Own Luck (Ex): A Legend understands that luck plays an immense part in the making of a Legend. At 2nd and 6th level, The Legend gains the ability, as an immediate action, to reroll any roll that he has made. He must accept the result of the reroll, even if it is less than the original result.

I Am the Will of the People (Ex): At 3rd level, The Legend becomes capable of spreading his dogma beyond the abilities of normal men. When making a Diplomacy check to sway the opinions of a group of people and succeeds, all who are affected will, in the next 24 hours, make separate Diplomacy checks on two other people, using half the roll The Legend made. Those people will, in the next 24 hours make separate Diplomacy checks on two more people, using half the roll that was made on them. This continues until the Diplomacy check reaches 10.

Ruggedly Handsome (Ex): As long as he is in the public eye, The Legend always appears to be in the pinnacle of his physical shape. At 3rd level, The Legend no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue and The Legend still dies of old age if his time is up.

Mettle (Ex): As The Legend grows in power, his will hardens to resist effects that would keep him from his goals. At 4th level and higher, The Legend can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower and fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Legend does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Aura of Heroism (Ex): As The Legend gains more confidence in himself, some of his unflinching resolve transfers over to his allies. Beginning at 5th level, all allies in a 15 foot radius from The Legend gain immunity to all fear effects.

The Myth (Ex): As more and more people come to know about The Legend, his exploits reach mythical status. Beginning at 5th level, when people recognize The Legend, they are affected by a Diplomacy check to their initial attitudes equal to The Legend's character level. This is modified either positively or negatively based on the actions of The Legend on their society. This check does not count as a use of a Diplomacy check on an NPC for the purposes of repeated uses of Diplomacy checks, as found in the Players Handbook.

Rugged Constitution (Ex): The Legend has immunity to all diseases, including magical diseases such as mummy rot and lycanthropy.

Lead From the Front (Ex): At 7th level, The Legend's ability to inspire and motivate becomes even more powerful, especially when leading others into battle. If The Legend acts first to begin a combat, all allies gain a morale bonus to their initiative checks equal to ˝ The Legend's class level (rounded down).

Call To Arms (Ex): When he has need of the people, the people help their Legend. Once per week upon reaching 8th level, the Legend can attempt to gather a willing “army” of common folk to help him in his endeavors. He approaches someone with a helpful disposition and makes a Diplomacy check. In 1d4 hours, a number of common folk equal to the Diplomacy check arrive at a location set by The Legend. They can be used for whatever purpose The Legend deems fitting, however, additional Diplomacy checks may be required to persuade them to attempt a challenging task, or one that entails a great amount of risk to them. The common folk stay and assist with the task for 1d8 days or the task is completed, whichever comes first.

Last on the Field (Ex): The Legend's resolve instills in him a “never give up” attitude. He gains the virtual Diehard feat, as listed on page 93 of the Players Handbook.

The Legend (Ex):

__________________________________________________ _________

Also, I can't figure out the code for creating a table, if someone would be willing to help me out with that, I'd be very appreciative!

Glimbur
2011-10-14, 06:29 PM
Check out the class table generator here (http://pifro.com/) for table code.

BAB and Base Saves don't actually apply to this class, as Epic Levels have their own rules for such things. Read all about it here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm).

Lead From the Front (Ex): At 7th level, The Legend's ability to inspire and motivate becomes even more powerful, especially when leading others into battle. If The Legend acts first to begin a combat, all allies gain a morale bonus to their initiative checks equal to ˝ The Legend's class level (rounded down). This ability is confusing. Say The Legend gets a 37 initiative, and the party fighter gets a 36. No one else goes before The Legend. Therefore, the fighter gets a +3 to his initiative... which means he acts before The Legend, which means he doesn't get the bonus, so he acts after The Legend, so... It could be resolved by stating the fighter's initiative turn has already passed, so he does not act this round but acts first next round. That's pretty terrible.
Consider a morale bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and weapon damage for the whole party equal to The Legend's class level for the first round if The Legend goes first.

This class is just not powerful enough to be a legendary character, especially in Epic. Mettle is nice but can be obtained more easily through other classes. Immunity to fear and near-immunity to disease are just one spell daily away: Heroes' Feast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heroesFeast.htm). A Legend (as an Epic PrC) in D&D 3.5 needs to be able to punch through impenetrable walls, inspire a crowd of rabble so strongly that they become elite warriors, reshape the world through will alone, and/or steal your eyes from your head without you noticing. My Scion of Awesome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7959037&postcount=4) has a similar feel to what you seem to want.

Epic is pretty crazy, depending on your intended balance point.