PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: Flashbang, through the door!

Triscuitable
2011-10-14, 09:22 PM
We all know about Call of Duty, and it's unstoppable, outsell-the-last-but-never-be-outsold power. We also know that's it's been tearing up the planet's surface with it's annual installments, which a large majority of people wish to quell. I wish to bring up this topic for the purpose of asking you, yes, you, what your opinion on Call of Duty is.

And no, this isn't a Battlefield thread, it's Call of Duty. If you think Battlefield 3 should outsell the series, fine. Think that. It'll set Activision straight.

But what I want to speak of is Call of Duty, and the fun you can have in it. Are you excited for the new game, Modern Warfare 3? Are you interested in playing some classic Call of Duty 2 or 4?

Hell, if this gets popular, I may just get a server set up. Game of your choice.

hayabusa
2011-10-14, 09:46 PM
I've only played the first and second games, but I have to admit that the more modern games (in release schedule, not timeline) look pretty good. I've really enjoyed the ones I've played, though.

Triscuitable
2011-10-14, 10:04 PM
I've only played the first and second games, but I have to admit that the more modern games (in release schedule, not timeline) look pretty good. I've really enjoyed the ones I've played, though.

The first two were special, they introduced new concepts to a very new genre that would become severely aged as time went on, and revolutionized tactical play in arcade-style multiplayer. I wish I still owned 2, but there's not much for me to go back to. I really spent enough time on it.

But if I must recommend any Call of Duty title, pre-order Modern Warfare 3. You'll get the fourth for free, and $60 is a wonderful price to pay for two quality games. Yes, the fourth game really is that good.

MCerberus
2011-10-14, 10:17 PM
My problem with the series as a whole is that they'll introduce cheap things that are quickly seized on as game breakers (the infamous 'melee' setup, campers not playing objective game types so they can camp and get a nuke), refuse to fix clearly exploitive behavior (two words: sky tube. Combine that with the 'unlimited ammo forever' perk), and then have the gall to say if you want it fixed, pay $60 for the next game.

$15 dollar map packs that are containing more and more recycled material.

and specific to consoles (I think), a community that seems dead set on finding new lows to sink to.

And then there's the storyline. I liked the DC missions, the rest of MW2 and... well all of Black Ops was a solid string of 'let's just do random things that make no sense and say it's a conspiracy WEEEEEE'
Black Ops spoiler:
Yah... so remember when they killed off the player character from World at War for no reason? That kind of stuff

Call of Duty games are always technically solid.
But Activision will no longer get any of my money for them.

Triscuitable
2011-10-14, 10:30 PM
My problem with the series as a whole is that they'll introduce cheap things that are quickly seized on as game breakers (the infamous 'melee' setup, campers not playing objective game types so they can camp and get a nuke), refuse to fix clearly exploitive behavior (two words: sky tube. Combine that with the 'unlimited ammo forever' perk), and then have the gall to say if you want it fixed, pay $60 for the next game.

I've never found a better argument for the series.

$15 dollar map packs that are containing more and more recycled material.

Decide on the problem with your wallet. Sadly, most people have $15 to burn.

and specific to consoles (I think), a community that seems dead set on finding new lows to sink to.

You'll find the PC has quite the number of jerks and children who are willing to diss you with the worst of words, and play the worst way to win.

And then there's the storyline. I liked the DC missions, the rest of MW2 and... well all of Black Ops was a solid string of 'let's just do random things that make no sense and say it's a conspiracy

Black Ops made no sense. Modern Warfare 2's DC levels were superb, and really exploded the scale to a grand level.

Black Ops spoiler:
Yah... so remember when they killed off the player character from World at War for no reason? That kind of stuff

They went for emotional impact, see also:

Modern Warfare: The nuke, and the deaths that result from it.

World at War: The horrors of war, the amazing soundtrack's heartstring-plucking anthem.

Modern Warfare 2: The death of Ghost and Roach.

Black Ops: Let's try really hard and find some crap. Reznov's death. Intel proves he's alive. Wood's death. Intel shows he's a POW in Vietnam. Dmitri's death. Really quite stupid. He looks like he's choking on a nuclear banana. The cop-out ending. I HATE YOUR "PLOT TWISTS" TREYARCH!

Call of Duty games are always technically solid.
But Activision will no longer get any of my money for them.

That's why I traded my unusual TF2 hat to get some sucker to pay for my copy. And some other games.

MCerberus
2011-10-14, 10:53 PM
I've never found a better argument for the series.

I'm really, really hoping for most people that would be an argument against the series.

I can't quite remember exactly what, but my friends and I came up with a prediction for the way the next game will end a while back. I think the problem is that it makes too much sense for the direction the series is going.
After being betrayed by (insert person here), one of your characters dies and the other is left for dead. After he slips and falls triggering yet another end of level fainting spell, your older, better-than-you NPC best friend saves your hide for the fifth time.

Luckily, then, McGregor(from World War 2, CoD2) comes in from a time rift in a nuclear mecha suit. Of course this leads into another unnecessary flashback where you take it.

This leads to another vehicle segment where you actually don't do as much as you'd expect. After you foil the EVIL PLAN of the day, the characters go off into the sunset in a way that can set up a sequel.

Triscuitable
2011-10-14, 10:54 PM
I'm really, really hoping for most people that would be an argument against the series.

I can't quite remember exactly what, but my friends and I came up with a prediction for the way the next game will end a while back. I think the problem is that it makes too much sense for the direction the series is going.
After being betrayed by (insert person here), one of your characters dies and the other is left for dead. After he slips and falls triggering yet another end of level fainting spell, your older, better-than-you NPC best friend saves your hide for the fifth time.

Luckily, then, McGregor(from World War 2, CoD2) comes in from a time rift in a nuclear mecha suit. Of course this leads into another unnecessary flashback where you take it.

This leads to another vehicle segment where you actually don't do as much as you'd expect. After you foil the EVIL PLAN of the day, the characters go off into the sunset in a way that can set up a sequel.

The whole plot actually leaked onto Kotaku. That's... really damn close.

MCerberus
2011-10-14, 10:58 PM
The whole plot actually leaked onto Kotaku. That's... really damn close.

Yesssss McGregor was my favorite NPC in CoD2.

Triscuitable
2011-10-14, 11:28 PM
Yesssss McGregor was my favorite NPC in CoD2.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090202101626/callofduty/images/6/61/Macgreggor2.jpg

STAND TALL MR. MECHA DUDE!