PDA

View Full Version : "useless" skills [gestalt] (challenge)

enderlord99
2011-10-14, 10:51 PM
Challenge: Build an effective character, putting at least half of your skill points in skills typically considered useless, and maximizing at least 5 "useless" skills by level 20. Your build must be a Factotum20//Anything. The "useless" skills should actually be at least somewhat relevant to the build.

Yuki Akuma
2011-10-14, 10:53 PM
What "Useless" skills? Uh... Use Rope? Appraise?

... I can't think of any else.

enderlord99
2011-10-14, 10:56 PM
What "Useless" skills? Uh... Use Rope? Appraise?

... I can't think of any else.

Profession (any)
Craft (any other than Alchemy)
Perform (any, unless you have Bard levels, in which case all still count except your first)

Psyren
2011-10-14, 10:59 PM
You should probably ban Exemplar from this. Just throwing that out there.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-14, 11:00 PM
Profession (any)
Craft (any other than Alchemy)
Perform (any, unless you have Bard levels, in which case all still count except your first)

You're obviously forgetting about the DC 30 perform checks. And craft (basketweaving), craft (underwater basketweaving), profession (basketweaver), and profession (underwater basketweaver).

You can break WBL in half during downtime with those. I would say that Alchemy is the only useless craft skill, due to being inexpensive adventuring gear.

enderlord99
2011-10-15, 12:09 AM
You're obviously forgetting about the DC 30 perform checks. And craft (basketweaving), craft (underwater basketweaving), profession (basketweaver), and profession (underwater basketweaver).

You can break WBL in half during downtime with those. I would say that Alchemy is the only useless craft skill, due to being inexpensive adventuring gear.

New rule: "earning money outside combat" is not a valid tactic for our purposes.

deuxhero
2011-10-15, 12:31 AM
Factotum was 8 SP/level right?

8 INT (-1 skill point) Warforged (1 craft for repairs) Sailor (Profession: Sailor has mechanical use in It's Wet Outside) knocks 3 of the 8 off the bat and remains useful, I guess you can use another craft for ship repairs and finish off.

Elric VIII
2011-10-15, 12:45 AM
Craft (Weaponsmithing) & Craft (Armorsmithing) are used for one of the most powerful* Cleric/Paladin PrCs you can find: Bone Knight.

*Excluding things like Dweomerkeeper and other classes with an odeur de fromage.

Zaq
2011-10-15, 01:54 AM
I don't have the book open, but isn't Profession (Siege Engineer) used to operate, well, siege engines?

Also, Craft (Poison) is pretty badass. Craft (Trapmaking) is also pretty sweet, especially with Trapsmith.

Elric VIII
2011-10-15, 02:01 AM
Also, Craft (Poison) is pretty badass. Craft (Trapmaking) is also pretty sweet, especially with Trapsmith.

And the Factotum can use Fabricate. Lots of fun there.

deuxhero
2011-10-15, 02:05 AM
So a (Warforged?) Bone Knight on a boat that also works on the weapons, coating them in poison?

Interesting character concept...

Dictum Mortuum
2011-10-15, 02:09 AM
Factotum Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0) with almost all skills.

Profession(Miner) lets you dig 5-ft holes depending on your check.

Factotum has 6+int skill points.

Elric VIII
2011-10-15, 02:13 AM
So a (Warforged?) Bone Knight on a boat that also works on the weapons, coating them in poison?

Interesting character concept...

Deathforged was an offhand reference in some book, IIRC. Imagine a fusion of Davey Jones crew and the Borg.

Elfinor
2011-10-15, 07:43 AM
What's so good about basketweaving in particular?

Dictum Mortuum
2011-10-15, 08:57 AM
What's so good about basketweaving in particular?

It's a CO joke.

Yuki Akuma
2011-10-15, 09:02 AM
...Also, remember the Exemplar PrC. Mr. "I'm so awesome at this random skill I can turn people into fanatically devoted followers".

Weezer
2011-10-15, 09:24 AM
...Also, remember the Exemplar PrC. Mr. "I'm so awesome at this random skill I can turn people into fanatically devoted followers".

Ahh yes, the jumplomancer. I jump so high that people fall in love with me. Probably one of the more amazing builds out there.

Elfinor
2011-10-15, 09:26 AM
It's a CO joke.Trust the god of optimization to point that out:smalltongue: but what does it refer to specifically?

enderlord99
2011-10-15, 09:29 AM
Trust the god of optimization to point that out:smalltongue: but what does it refer to specifically?

A guy who "beat" an early version of the Twice-Betrayer of Shar (a nearly invincible build): The basket-weaving person was a warforged, and thus didn't die of old age, which the Twice-Betrayer did.

Weezer
2011-10-15, 09:30 AM
Trust the god of optimization to point that out:smalltongue: but what does it refer to specifically?

It's referring to this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870302/The_Basket_Weavers_Handbook) post (among others, it was a long standing joke that based on the uselessness of craft(basket weaving)), one which was funnily enough started by the aforementioned god of optimization.

Tsuzurao
2011-10-15, 03:18 PM
Ahh yes, the jumplomancer. I jump so high that people fall in love with me. Probably one of the more amazing builds out there.

Because it's nearly mandatory.

"It's-a me, Mario!"

deuxhero
2011-10-15, 05:07 PM
So how does Luigi differ in build that he is treated the way he is?

Coidzor
2011-10-15, 06:26 PM
So how does Luigi differ in build that he is treated the way he is?

Mario Exemplar'd them against him first. :smallamused: