PDA

View Full Version : Help with Level 6 wizard/tank

Bashir
2011-10-15, 01:45 AM
so the basic idea is to AC tank with utility. using still spell to bypass arcane spell failure from using heavy armor. and filling in the blanks in the group with wizard utility.

Dwarf
Fighter 1 Wizard 5
16 str 12 dex 16 con 17 int 9 wisdom 7 cha

the plan is to eventually take Eldritch Knight at level 7. Casting defensively with stilled spells is an auto success. on the concentration check with combat casting.

Bought Gloves of Ogre Str, Amulet of Health +2 for +2 str +2 con

MW Dwarven Waraxe, +1 full plate, +1 tower shield.

18 Str, 12 Dex, 18 Con 17 Int 9 Wisdom 7 Cha

Feats
Arcane Strike, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Practiced Spellcaster, Combat Casting.

How would you make this better? should i buy the items differently? choose different feats? what spells compliment this build or add versatile tricks to it.

Dictum Mortuum
2011-10-15, 01:56 AM
Skip eldritch knight and get that dwarven prestige from races of stone that lets you ignore ASF (Runesmith).

Also take a look at abjurant champion (complete mage) to top runesmith.

Finally, I'd skip combat expertise/trip. And that fighter level. Crusader or Warblade are better.

Runestar
2011-10-15, 02:18 AM
Use summon monster spells.

At 5th lv, a wizard can bring in a huge centipede via SM3, which can grapple foes, thereby disabling them. This is as good a "tank" as you can get. :smallbiggrin:

YouLostMe
2011-10-15, 02:24 AM
I actually recommend an illusionist, going for displacement, mirror image, and concealment for a very low chance of being hit.

Or the grapple wizard (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=13119) works too.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-15, 05:09 AM
Personally, I would switch Str and Int, since you can always polymorph to boost your strength.

If you haven't already, I would go for the combat wizard variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) and choose a fighter feat instead of Scribe Scroll.

Unless you need the feat for prerequisites or a combo, a common suggestion I make for a first level only feat for wizards is Keen Intellect (Dragon Magazine 318) whereby you may use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom modifier for Heal, Search, Spot and Survival checks... as well as for Will saves.

With that feat on board, its easier to use Character Traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm) to whittle your Will saves for bonuses to the other saves. (i.e. Passionate, Jumpy*)

* -1 to Will Saves, +1 to Reflex saves

Oh, and don't forget to check out Thaalud Stone Armor (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7201.0).

Randomguy
2011-10-15, 09:35 AM
Take a level of spellsword as soon as you have high enough BAB. Then take 5 levels of abjurant champion. Then get into eldrith knight afterwards.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-15, 01:21 PM
There's an ACF for fighters as well, you lose heavy armor and tower shields, but it gives you the ability to cast in your lower level slots without worrying about ASF. I believe it's in complete mage. As a fighter1, you'd have first and second level spells without ASF.
I know you want that heavy armor, but this is worth it, since you're not paying the +1 metamagic cost anymore.

If possible, get your hands on the Book of Exalted Deeds. Two spells there should interest you: Luminous and Greater Luminous armor. They may seem a little meh now, but once you get Abjurant Champion going, they'll be worth it.

EK was never a very good PrC, and is a victim of power creep. If possible, I'd suggest Knight Phantom (eberron), or the pathfinder Eldritch Knight. (I'm also a huge fan of swiftblade, but a lot of people don't like the prereqs)

edit:
-Is this character already in use?
-If you're not going to go Abjurant CHampion, skip the combat casting unless it's a prereq for something you really need. Just cast defensively.

-Don't know how useful practiced spellcaster will be for you. You should be focusing on buffing yourself, not laying down save-or-die spells, so the lost caster levels don't hurt you quite as bad as it would someone who's trying to be a god or batman wizard. Also, your best spells are minute/level or higher, far longer than most fights you'll have.
-Arcane strike, is what, a 'channel spell' thing? Sacrifice a spell, get boost to damage and attack, in relation to level of spell sacrificed?
-A list of useful spells, works for sorc or wizard gishes. (With help from shneekey the lost)
1st Level Spells:
Grease (PHB)
Mage Armor (PHB)
Nerverskitter (SC)
Shield (PHB)
Fist of Stone (CArc)

2nd Level Spells:
Mirror Image (PHB)
Wraithstrike (SC)

3rd Level Spells:
Haste (PHB)
Dispel Magic (PHB)