PDA

View Full Version : Database backup in progress?

MoonCat
2011-10-15, 03:29 AM
"Database backup in progress, please try again in 30 minutes."

Was getting this a little while ago, was everyone getting this? I see no announcement, so I thought I'd make my own thread. Sorry to be a bother.

Serpentine
2011-10-15, 03:31 AM
You've... never seen the database back-up notice? :smallconfused: Happens every day, for about half an hour.

MoonCat
2011-10-15, 03:36 AM
I thought it might have to do with the server thing. West Coast American MoonCat was up late, and I'd never seen it before.

Serpentine
2011-10-15, 03:43 AM
Lucky you :smallannoyed:
:smalltongue:
Weird... You're missing a lot lately, huh :smalltongue:

Gadora
2011-10-15, 03:53 AM
You've... never seen the database back-up notice? :smallconfused: Happens every day, for about half an hour.

I believe it skips Mondays. Sometimes, at least.

I thought it might have to do with the server thing. West Coast American MoonCat was up late, and I'd never seen it before.

One in the morning is late?:smallconfused:

Oh! You must be one of those normal people I keep hearing about.:smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-15, 04:46 AM
Of course, its not as conveniently placed for us Brits... we get it at around 9 in the morning- thus preventing mid morning GitP sprees on days off from work etc.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-15, 04:50 AM
And I get it at 10:00 am, right after I've finished all important morning stuff and are ready to chill for a few minutes. Otoh that means that I have more to read in the evenings.

But I don't think that it skips mondays. I've never seen that happening at least? Where's Rawhide?

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-15, 04:53 AM
Where's Rawhide?

Castaway somewhere in the Caribbean, didn't you see his user title?:smallwink:

Serpentine
2011-10-15, 05:33 AM
7pm here, iirc :smallannoyed: And no, as far as I'm aware it happens every day.

Gadora
2011-10-15, 05:40 AM
And I get it at 10:00 am, right after I've finished all important morning stuff and are ready to chill for a few minutes. Otoh that means that I have more to read in the evenings.

But I don't think that it skips mondays. I've never seen that happening at least? Where's Rawhide?

I know I've seen it happen at least once, and I believe it was explained as 'that's what happens on Mondays.' I may be wrong on the day, though.

If Rawhide doesn't show up, I can go digging for the occurrence and explanation I was talking about, but all I know is that they're somewhere in ponythread. I think it might have been back in August, but even then, that only narrows it down to 4-6 threads. Probably easier for me to just give it a try every day for a week.

Rawhide
2011-10-15, 06:25 AM
It happens every day at 3am, server time.

That works out to 6pm (sometimes 7pm), my time. Yes, I wrote the script and I am the one most inconvenienced by it :smallyuk: :smalltongue:.

Elder Tsofu
2011-10-15, 06:51 AM

That works out to 6pm (sometimes 7pm), my time. Yes, I wrote the script and I am the one most inconvenienced by it :smallyuk: :smalltongue:.

That's the way to do it. It will probably feel a little better when I meet it in the mornings from now on knowing the creator "suffers" even more. :smallwink:

Elm11
2011-10-15, 06:51 AM

6pm here in Canberra. Drives me nuts :smallannoyed:

Gadora
2011-10-15, 07:12 AM

Za?:smallconfused:

Never any blips in the script? I don't mean to sound- however I likely do sound- but I'm now very confused. If that's the case, then where the heck did that memory come from?

EDIT: Sorry, I just really hate encountering flaws in my memory. Throws me off balance for days sometimes.

EDIT2: @v Yes, that actually does make me feel a bit better.

Serpentine
2011-10-15, 07:15 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I vaguely recall one day where I didn't see the downtime.

Rawhide
2011-10-15, 07:35 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I vaguely recall one day where I didn't see the downtime.

It runs every day. On occasion, there are days where it gets disabled for that specific day for some reason or another, but otherwise it runs every day.

Serpentine
2011-10-15, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I figured it was a once-off/rare, irregular occurrance; that's why I specified "one day". Just reassuring the dude he's not making up memories.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-15, 09:21 AM
I believe it skips Mondays. Sometimes, at least.

One in the morning is late?:smallconfused:

Oh! You must be one of those normal people I keep hearing about.:smalltongue:

Happens at 4 AM here. :smalltongue: I probably shouldn't be on at that point.

The-Mage-King
2011-10-15, 10:24 AM
Happens at 4 AM here. :smalltongue: I probably shouldn't be on at that point.

The same.

And the same....

NineThePuma
2011-10-15, 12:16 PM
When the database back up occurs is typically when I stop browsing in bed and get up to put on pants.

Kumori
2011-10-15, 08:15 PM
When the database back up occurs is typically when I stop browsing in bed and get up to put on pants.

You're in seattle... isn't that 1am? A little early to be putting on pants, no?

Teutonic Knight
2011-10-16, 01:18 AM
Yes indeed, West Coast gets 1 AM. Not too bad, though sometimes I do find myself rushing to post before it turns 1.

pasko77
2011-10-16, 05:00 AM
And I get it at 10:00 am, right after I've finished all important morning stuff and are ready to chill for a few

yes, here in italy too, it's office time. how i hate the backup notice :smallsigh:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-16, 05:02 AM
What exactly is being backed up?*
*More specifically than the database, if you please.

Rawhide
2011-10-16, 06:28 AM
What exactly is being backed up?*
*More specifically than the database, if you please.

The database. Can't get more specific than that.

Zherog
2011-10-16, 08:47 AM
The data within the database. ;)

happyturtle
2011-10-16, 08:48 AM
And the base upon which the data rests?

NineThePuma
2011-10-16, 08:49 AM
I assume it's the forum database, given the fact that the rest of the site stays up.

The fact that links to specific posts work during the backup makes me think that the backup is logging where all the posts go and where they are relative to each other.

(mind, this is just me thinking aloud and hypothesizing. Take it with a grain of salt)

Rawhide
2011-10-16, 09:19 AM
I assume it's the forum database, given the fact that the rest of the site stays up.

The fact that links to specific posts work during the backup makes me think that the backup is logging where all the posts go and where they are relative to each other.

(mind, this is just me thinking aloud and hypothesizing. Take it with a grain of salt)

Links to specific posts work? :smallconfused:

Seerow
2011-10-16, 10:35 AM
I'm in the timezone where it's at 3:00am (server time hoorah), and I've still run into it a few times.

It must be nice to be one of those people who goes to sleep before midnight most days :p

NineThePuma
2011-10-16, 10:53 AM
Links to specific posts work? :smallconfused:

Links to a specific single post work; like if you click the button that pops out a single post into a separate window.

If it shows more than one post, it doesn't work.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-16, 04:15 PM
Castaway somewhere in the Caribbean, didn't you see his user title?:smallwink:

Seems like he has internet access, so he can't be that castaway. Even I know how to find where I am with the help of my ip... Though there's the possibility that Rawhide really is castaway and that someone else is running the forum :smalleek:

The title might be the only way he can warn us. Shall I sound the general alarm?

Kumori
2011-10-22, 03:38 AM

Links to a specific single post work; like if you click the button that pops out a single post into a separate window.

If it shows more than one post, it doesn't work.

I'm not sure this is true. I gave it a test about 15 min ago during the backup and it didn't work for me. Specifically, I clicked on the post number in the top right corner of several posts. Still showed me the database backup screen.

Has anyone else tested this?

SiuiS
2011-10-22, 04:12 AM

I know I've seen it happen at least once, and I believe it was explained as 'that's what happens on Mondays.' I may be wrong on the day, though.

If Rawhide doesn't show up, I can go digging for the occurrence and explanation I was talking about, but all I know is that they're somewhere in ponythread. I think it might have been back in August, but even then, that only narrows it down to 4-6 threads. Probably easier for me to just give it a try every day for a week.

when I first joined, there seemed to be some weird day (often late Sunday, sometimes Monday) where I could continue and there would be no database backup. I thought it was a well known thing, until one day Darthbocat brought up that it was weird, and then we had a small discussion about it.

Nothing fruitful in the end though. It's random. It happened last week, too.or the one before; I am a Californian who's often awake until 5, and work seven days a week. They're hard to distinguish at that point.

NineThePuma
2011-10-22, 06:02 AM
I'm not sure this is true. I gave it a test about 15 min ago during the backup and it didn't work for me. Specifically, I clicked on the post number in the top right corner of several posts. Still showed me the database backup screen.

Has anyone else tested this?

Based on the look Rawhide gave, I'm willing to bet it was just a glitch on my end or something. Cache uncleared or the like.